SofaRun v2.0 bug report thread

Страница 10/39
3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15

By Louthrax

Prophet (2406)

Аватар пользователя Louthrax

04-01-2016, 13:57

Quote:

If memory.com is called from a batch file I guess it runs in a slightly different environment than straight from the command line? For one, the batch file needs to be preserved which I guess it does at the top of the TPA as I observed earlier.

There are 256 extra bytes free only at boot time, when autoexec.bat is called "from the system". It does not work if you invoke the same autoexec.bat file again from command line!

I think that the autoexec.bat invocation code is differently at boot time, no parameters can be passed, so the stack pointer is unchanged. Wondering if that's specific to Nextor or not ?

By msxski

Resident (58)

Аватар пользователя msxski

04-01-2016, 16:10

Louthrax wrote:

Here's a small demo of the automated "write back to tape" and "launch tape recorder with joystick" features that will be available in SofaRun v2.5: SofaRun v2.5 - Writing back a .CAS file to real tape

Very cool! Thanks!

By mfeingol

Champion (291)

Аватар пользователя mfeingol

05-01-2016, 06:53

I just made a zip of a few .cas files, and tried to launch them from SofaRun. A few worked well, a few failed. Most of the ones that failed couldn't be run on an ST, period.

However, I found one interesting case where a .cas file failed in SofaRun (hang on load), but I was able to boot it successfully using loadcaxx: http://1drv.ms/1R8AiG7

Would it make sense to offer a setting for .cas files to use loadcaxx instead of loadcas, since a priori it's probably not possible to know in advance whether a cas file will work with one or the other?

Also, does SofaRun do a poke -1,X before loading the cas file?

Thanks again.

By mfeingol

Champion (291)

Аватар пользователя mfeingol

05-01-2016, 07:46

@louthrax:

I also found a 360kB DSK file that runs fine when launched using openMSX and the same hardware configuration, but hangs when launched with sri.com. Not sure if you're interested in those sorts of bug reports, since the issue could be almost anything?

By Louthrax

Prophet (2406)

Аватар пользователя Louthrax

05-01-2016, 11:21

mfeingol wrote:

However, I found one interesting case where a .cas file failed in SofaRun (hang on load), but I was able to boot it successfully using loadcaxx: http://1drv.ms/1R8AiG7

Would it make sense to offer a setting for .cas files to use loadcaxx instead of loadcas, since a priori it's probably not possible to know in advance whether a cas file will work with one or the other?

Yes, from my understanding, LOADCASX is patching on the fly the .CAS file to fix slot accesses that are breaking emulation, this might fix a few cases (or corrupt some games). I'll think about adding that option.

The more I'm trying .CAS files the more I prefer writing them back to tape like described above. This could also be done at a higher baud rate with a digital recorder. Some TASCAM recorder seem to support a REMote input. They are just a bit expensive.

mfeingol wrote:

Also, does SofaRun do a poke -1,X before loading the cas file?

I don't think so. I have the poke -1 in the real cassette launchers (CASBLOAD, CASRUN, CASCLOAD) but that's not done for LOADCAS.COM. I think 'll add this (I was also thinking about other approaches for loading a CAS file, but have found nothing yet...).

By Louthrax

Prophet (2406)

Аватар пользователя Louthrax

05-01-2016, 12:19

mfeingol wrote:

@louthrax:

I also found a 360kB DSK file that runs fine when launched using openMSX and the same hardware configuration, but hangs when launched with sri.com. Not sure if you're interested in those sorts of bug reports, since the issue could be almost anything?

I'm interested, let me know which game is accused here (name or CRC). Some problems could lead to a fix in SRI.COM, some others to game patches (ideally SofaRun could load a patch file and let the user select which patches to apply).
And thanks for the bug reports you are making here, this is really helping in making a better tool.

By mfeingol

Champion (291)

Аватар пользователя mfeingol

05-01-2016, 19:32

@louthrax:

Quote:

I have the poke -1 in the real cassette launchers (CASBLOAD, CASRUN, CASCLOAD) but that's not done for LOADCAS.COM

Seems like a good idea. I don't think it can hurt, and it can be optional in any case.

Quote:

Some problems could lead to a fix in SRI.COM, some others to game patches (ideally SofaRun could load a patch file and let the user select which patches to apply).

Okay, here's the file: http://1drv.ms/1JrSgAz. I tried with the CTRL-enabled option, just to be sure, but that made no difference. The game hangs after the splash screen.

Quote:

And thanks for the bug reports you are making here, this is really helping in making a better tool.

No worries! I love the idea of a flexible launcher for MSX, and it's great to see it evolve.

By Louthrax

Prophet (2406)

Аватар пользователя Louthrax

05-01-2016, 23:26

Quote:

Okay, here's the file: http://1drv.ms/1JrSgAz. I tried with the CTRL-enabled option, just to be sure, but that made no difference. The game hangs after the splash screen.

Ha, Livingstone, I remember that one, have not played it since 1987 :)

So it works here, tried on real VG8235, and with SRI.COM on openMSX with different configurations (including turboR with external RAM). No way to make the game hang.
You tried that on your turboR ST right ? All default settings for the game ?

By mfeingol

Champion (291)

Аватар пользователя mfeingol

05-01-2016, 23:45

Louthrax wrote:

Ha, Livingstone, I remember that one, have not played it since 1987 Smile

Yeah. :-) And thanks for looking into this. I figured out what the problem was... If I remove map2.com from my autoexec.bat (really the only interesting thing in there), then Livingstone runs just fine.

I should probably only run map2 on demand. However, I don't have a good intuition for which types of programs that helps... And this is the first case I've found where it hurts.

By Louthrax

Prophet (2406)

Аватар пользователя Louthrax

06-01-2016, 00:24

Huh, what is that map2.com tool supposed to do? I've never used or even seen that one.

Страница 10/39
3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15