NIght Knight

Pagina 6/6
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |

Van Thom

Paladin (679)

afbeelding van Thom

05-09-2019, 22:28

reidrac wrote:

Sorry for the late reply, I'm not used to MRC not having email notifications!

Thom wrote:

IIRC Night Knight was coded in hybrid C/ASM? Which C-compiler did you use (SDCC?) Inline or linked assembly?

I used SDCC. Mostly linked assembly because inline doesn't look very well mixed with C code. If is a short routine, it's OK though.

You can take a look a this video were I'm working on my current MSX project:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55--zjOUxCs

Thanks Reidrac and no problem!

Lately, there was quite some discussion about using SDCC for MSX. There are some doubts whether the code it produces is fast enough for games. I think you´ve proven with Night Knight and your next game that it is possible to create games which look like they´ve been coded in 100% assembler.

Van reidrac

Expert (98)

afbeelding van reidrac

06-09-2019, 08:02

Thom wrote:

Lately, there was quite some discussion about using SDCC for MSX. There are some doubts whether the code it produces is fast enough for games. I think you´ve proven with Night Knight and your next game that it is possible to create games which look like they´ve been coded in 100% assembler.

There's a lot of ASM code in my games, but that's only for the bits that are speed sensitive. Before working on the MSX, I made games for the CPC with SDCC following the same strategy, and that machine doesn't have hardware sprites! So it is possible Smile

It is in my TODO list releasing few libraries I wrote to make Night Knight (and I'm improving with my current project). I hope that would help people willing to make games in C!

EDIT: also I'd like to look at this project https://github.com/KarolS/millfork

Van Thom

Paladin (679)

afbeelding van Thom

06-09-2019, 10:28

Yeah, Millfork looks very interesting: https://msx.org/forum/msx-talk/development/millfork-a-new-pr...

Looking forward to the libraries :-)
Perhaps some of it could be used for the Fusion-C libs? (https://msx.org/news/development/en/fusion-c-is-available)
(Or the other way around).

Van reidrac

Expert (98)

afbeelding van reidrac

06-09-2019, 10:33

Thom wrote:

Yeah, Millfork looks very interesting: https://msx.org/forum/msx-talk/development/millfork-a-new-pr...

Looking forward to the libraries :-)
Perhaps some of it could be used for the Fusion-C libs? (https://msx.org/news/development/en/fusion-c-is-available)
(Or the other way around).

That's up to you. You can port any ASM or C code if you want. My libraries are focused on the type of games I'm making (MSX, screen 2, etc), so is not one size fits all.

Van davince

Supporter (10)

afbeelding van davince

31-05-2021, 20:58

Hi, today received this great game (collector's edition). Yes I know this thread is a bit old...but
How do I know if my cartridge is the latest version? When i STOP the game to write down the password and not being quick enough to continue the game...the game hangs!? (playing it on MSX 8245).

Is there a way to play nightknight.rom on my MSX? Maybe the latest version works better, but how to load the rom on my NMS-8245? bload"nightk.rom",r does not work.

Van TheKid

Paragon (1172)

afbeelding van TheKid

01-06-2021, 07:46

That is right, you can't bload a rom file. You need a tool like execrom

Van davince

Supporter (10)

afbeelding van davince

02-06-2021, 18:54

Thanks! Made myself a .dsk image with execrom and Night Knight! Works great!
You can download my dsk image with autoboot Night Knight here: link

Van tfh

Prophet (2898)

afbeelding van tfh

02-06-2021, 20:43

davince wrote:

Thanks! Made myself a .dsk image with execrom and Night Knight! Works great!
You can download my dsk image with autoboot Night Knight here: link

There's quite a bit more on that disk and it's Double sided. A Single sided version would suffice and be compatible with more machines. Night Knight on a bootable Single Sided Disk.

Van davince

Supporter (10)

afbeelding van davince

14-06-2021, 09:08

Couldn't you release that disk sooner ? Smile2
I was just trying to give something back to the community...and i'm using a gotek drive...so size is of less importance for me ;-) But i admit, your disk is better Wink

Pagina 6/6
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |