Glass Z80 assembler

Pagina 10/13
3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | | 11 | 12 | 13

Van Grauw

Ascended (8704)

afbeelding van Grauw

16-02-2020, 03:27

Ramones wrote:
Grauw wrote:

That’s a fine suggestion and definitely I want to replace it with 0xxH on the MAP. It is a remnant of my WBASS / Compass days, but 0xxH is the most universal Z80 assembler syntax.

Sorry Grauw, but I disagree. 0xxH syntax it's a 16 bits cpu assembler syntax. You can read the official (old) z80 data sheets. Tell me if you see 0xxH syntax.

So four years later I actually looked this up Smile, after some searching found an old 1976 Z80 manual, and there too Zilog used the H suffix notation exclusively.

When I mentioned my dislike of the plethora of hexadecimal notations, it is because having such variance makes the assembly language less regular and consistent, makes the parsing more complex, prevents using those characters for other purposes (e.g. using $ to start symbols), and offers no actual additional programming expressiveness. I support them because history has made it mandatory :).

But from time to time I do wonder if I would not have e.g. $ and 0x if that would really be a problem. I mean I understand the awkwarness of H suffix notation when the number does not start with a decimal, so I can see reason to have one alternate notation, but do we really need four? Anyway just theorising.

Van Dolphin101546015

Expert (96)

afbeelding van Dolphin101546015

16-02-2020, 05:16

I know many people who abandoned Glass because they could not use the undocumented z80 commands. In particular, these are people who write under the ZX Spectrum. I also did this once, in favor of SjAsm. But he does not suit me much.
Do you plan to realize these opportunities?

Van spacemoai1973

Master (134)

afbeelding van spacemoai1973

16-02-2020, 07:16

Meanwhile tniASM doesn't have any of the mentioned problems while supporting a "plethora of hexadecimal notations", not even requiring the awkward 0-prefix for the H-suffix notation. Neither does it have problems using whatever Z80 (or any other kind of) commands one wants to use.

Van Metalion

Paragon (1096)

afbeelding van Metalion

16-02-2020, 10:27

spacemoai1973 wrote:

Meanwhile tniASM doesn't have any of the mentioned problems while supporting a "plethora of hexadecimal notations", not even requiring the awkward 0-prefix for the H-suffix notation. Neither does it have problems using whatever Z80 (or any other kind of) commands one wants to use.

That's quite rude.
What do you want to achieve by this post ?

You forgot one important thing in your gloating comment : it costs 25 euros.

Van Grauw

Ascended (8704)

afbeelding van Grauw

16-02-2020, 11:54

Dolphin101546015 wrote:

I know many people who abandoned Glass because they could not use the undocumented z80 commands. In particular, these are people who write under the ZX Spectrum. I also did this once, in favor of SjAsm. But he does not suit me much.
Do you plan to realize these opportunities?

Aha, that’s interesting Smile. I do not currently support e.g. “out (c),0” because it is not compatible with the R800, so it is useless for MSX development in my opinion (see earlier discussion). However with that line of thought I did not consider Z80 programmers on other platforms for whom that argument does not apply. I think I’ll have to reconsider.

Van Dolphin101546015

Expert (96)

afbeelding van Dolphin101546015

16-02-2020, 12:51

Grauw wrote:

Aha, that’s interesting Smile. I do not currently support e.g. “out (c),0” because it is not compatible with the R800, so it is useless for MSX development in my opinion

I using it on MSX, coz I not looking to R800 (for future think too)

Grauw wrote:

However with that line of thought I did not consider Z80 programmers on other platforms for whom that argument does not apply. I think I’ll have to reconsider.

Thanx, also more interesting IXh,IXl,IYh,IYl Wink
May be good way, is using command line keys for enabling/disabling so support?

Van thegeps

Champion (356)

afbeelding van thegeps

16-02-2020, 12:55

Ld ixh (and ixl, iyh, iyl too) is supported by Glass. I use it in Freedom Fighter. Also if you don't consider to develope R800 games, you can't use them on a MSX turboR if you use out(c),0 so your game won't be full MSX compatible...

Van Dolphin101546015

Expert (96)

afbeelding van Dolphin101546015

16-02-2020, 13:04

thegeps wrote:

Ld ixh (and ixl, iyh, iyl too) is supported by Glass. I use it in Freedom Fighter.

Owh it good, may be I was confused after out (c),0, and decide it not supported, elsewhere it was another compiler, I check several in one time Smile

thegeps wrote:

Also if you don't consider to develope R800 games, you can't use them on a MSX turboR if you use out(c),0 so your game won't be full MSX compatible...

Its not problem for me. Or not my problem Smile
I never used TurboR, and I think I can’t have it in the future Sad
I mean: for good developing for platform, you must have it first. No one emulator (even OpenMSX), not give you real image of your product.

Van thegeps

Champion (356)

afbeelding van thegeps

16-02-2020, 13:05

LoL! Is really that important to you out(c),0? For what do you plan to use it to?

Van Dolphin101546015

Expert (96)

afbeelding van Dolphin101546015

16-02-2020, 13:21

thegeps wrote:

LoL! Is really that important to you out(c),0? For what do you plan to use it to?

Its only one fastest method to write 0 in the port on MSX.
Even Grauw mention it in his tips and tricks. Wink

Pagina 10/13
3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | | 11 | 12 | 13