Multi Mente 2.07a - copy directories patch

by snout on 24-04-2006, 14:59
Topic: Software
Tags: Utilities

Multi Mente is a popular file management tool for MSX-DOS2, which is used by many people who have an IDE, SCSI or CompactFlash interface. Generally the tool is quite fast, but when copying many (sub)directories at a time, it can get quite annoying that Multi Mente asks for a confirmation each time a new directory on the target location is to be created.

Marcos Daniel created a patched version of the tool, which addresses this issue by no longer asking for such a confirmation. This version of Multi Mente is compatible with FAT16 partitions, and can be downloaded in the files section of the MSX Global mailinglist. In order to be able to download the update, you will have to become a member of this mailinglist first.

Relevant link: MSX Global mailinglist

By [D-Tail]

[D-Tail]'s picture

24-04-2006, 17:07

First of all, it's a nice thing to have a FAT16-compatible MM, as many people (yours truly included) didn't manage to patch the program for use with FAT16. But what many people don't know, is that one can avoid the confirmation to create a (sub)dir: at the first prompt, don't type [Y] (for 'write'), but type [SHIFT]+[Y] (for 'write without confirmation'). This [SHIFT] option can be applied at every prompt (so [SHIFT]+[T] won't write when the destination file is newer than its source).

By BiFi

BiFi's picture

24-04-2006, 18:00

That's not always true. I did SHIFT+Y many times and still I had to confirm every subdir creation... but that might be because I'm using MM 2.05 since I don't have a later version which is non-japanese Wink

By [D-Tail]

[D-Tail]'s picture

24-04-2006, 21:53

I can send it to you if you want; but otoh, you can download a FAT16-patched version now as well ^_^

By BiFi

BiFi's picture

25-04-2006, 07:06

Which I did yesterday... Thanks anyway.

By cbsfox

cbsfox's picture

25-04-2006, 10:06

Hi [D-Tail],

What do you mean by this: "as many people (yours truly included) didn't manage to patch the program for use with FAT16" ???

Marcos

By [D-Tail]

[D-Tail]'s picture

25-04-2006, 12:28

Hi Marcos, 'yours truly' means something like 'the one who is writing this', i.e. me. For a long time I didn't manage to patch MM2.07a for FAT16, as the patch programs (which I downloaded from Okei's site) didn't work for me. Anyhow, I stopped using MM and prefer the DOS commandline now.

But hey, great job! Smile

By gdx

gdx's picture

03-04-2015, 02:51

Does a person can confirm if the version of MM below supports FAT16 correctly?

MM207-F-FAT16-a.zip

If confirmed, I will do a multi-language archive. (ENG, FR, JP, NL and maybe SP, PT)

By Randam

Randam's picture

03-04-2015, 12:07

I don't have fat16 so can't check atm.

But are you saying you plan on making a translation of the software or just the doc?

By gdx

gdx's picture

03-04-2015, 13:48

Only the doc and some MM's files (MM.CFG, MMMCR.DAT & MMRET.DAT). I found in Dutch (v2.07), English (v2.05) and French (v2.07). I modified the French and I will uddate the English. I have not yet found the SP & PT.

By Randam

Randam's picture

03-04-2015, 21:40

Too bad... If you wanted help with the tool itself I could perhaps have helped with translating that from japanese...

By gdx

gdx's picture

04-04-2015, 14:56

The software is already translated into English (See archive). I can translate the HELP in French but the accents may be a problem when MM is used on a Japanese MSX. I think the best is to leave in English.

By gdx

gdx's picture

06-04-2015, 11:02

I improved again because the date/time was displayed wrong on some configurations. Now the patch Y2k from Abyss is used.
I also fixed a bug in the display of MGSDRV's info window (SHIFT+G) and fixed some texts of Help and some other places in MM.

mm207_f_fat16_a.zip

The Fat16 still not tested.

By gdx

gdx's picture

06-04-2015, 12:45

Can I remove this text from help?

[B]ack up        : Backup disk
...
[J]ump           : Directory jump

By gdx

gdx's picture

08-04-2015, 09:44

Finally I tested all versions found of MM on a disk in FAT16 and none works. I get the message "Disk Error: Not MSX-DOS Disk" when I run MM. So I removed the link.

By Grauw

Grauw's picture

08-04-2015, 10:40

Multi Mente provided with the MegaFlashROM SCC+ SD seems to mostly work fine on FAT16 partitions. Well, I think I had some issues copying large amounts of files, so I had to copy them bit by bit, but it worked out in the end.

By gdx

gdx's picture

10-04-2015, 00:27

At first glance, this version has been bridled and I saw some graphical bugs but it works. Smile
Other versions do not work on Turbo R.
I will open another thread for my next mixed version...

By giangiacomo.zaffini

giangiacomo.zaffini's picture

10-04-2015, 13:47

@ gdx: when You patch MM, do You compile it from sources or do You dump/hex edit/overlay in some mysterious ways binary executable file?

By gdx

gdx's picture

10-04-2015, 15:35

The source code appears to have been released online but I can't found it.

I tried the patch by Okei and some MM patched versions without success.

This week I learned that patched MM for FAT16 doesn't work on Turbo R. (really?)

For the Y2k fix I used a hexa editor to extract the modifications from a version by Abyss.

For few other fixes I used a debugger and a hexa editor.

No mysterious ways for it.

No source code involves patching.

By Grauw

Grauw's picture

10-04-2015, 20:56

MM with FAT16 works fine on my turboR with the MegaFlashROM SCC+ SD. It’s the version on this disk.

By gdx

gdx's picture

11-04-2015, 08:06

Yep, I have found thanks to your post above. I will open a adapted thread for my improved version when I integrated this FAT16 patch. I need a new CF for testing.