With a flash and a bang, MSX developer Pentacour gives us "Nayade Resistance". Every living soul with a faint clue of classic gaming will immediately recognize the obvious inspiration of Konami's classic Gradius (or "Nemesis") series. But don't be fooled - that is just at first glance.
While Nayade Resistance initially offers us the general outlook and gameplay of those cherished titles, especially the MSX versions, including the weapon system that made this series revolutionary and great to begin with, this game leans more towards planning ahead and solving puzzles, while staying in exactly that comfortable and trusted setting.

As a pilot named Josh, you'll get clues from Kayla, which will appear on the bottom of the screen. It reminds your faithful reporter of Hydefos, with the big difference that these messages are of much more importance here, because - neglect her advice, and you'll surely crash and die.

Sounds interesting? Well, why don't you try for yourself? The good news is: this version isn't even finished, according to the creators themselves, and these guys have another week to add some more content - meaning: more shooting annex puzzeling fun - to the deal.

Relevant link: MSXdev'10 - Nayade Resistance

Media browser (5)

• MSXdev'14 #10 - Nayade Resistance
  • MSXdev'14 #10 - Nayade Resistance
  • MSXdev'14 #10 - Nayade Resistance
  • MSXdev'14 #10 - Nayade Resistance
  • MSXdev'14 #10 - Nayade Resistance

By tonigalvez

tonigalvez's picture

16-06-2014, 12:52

Very cool game, nice combination of arcade and puzzles. I like the graphics.

By valkyre

valkyre's picture

18-06-2014, 14:06

Just tried it and love it. A finished version would be worthy of a cartridge release.

By Randam

Randam's picture

18-06-2014, 20:34

I really like the game concept how it looks so far. Though I encountered some bugs so far, but a complete version would be very cool to have on cart like valkyre also mentioned. I sure hope you can polish this some more, because it is a cool game.

By edoz

edoz's picture

20-06-2014, 08:57

Wow! I like this one!

By syn

Paragon (1915)

syn's picture

20-06-2014, 16:12

I really like the gfx in this one! hope it gets finished soon!

By pentacour

Supporter (9)

pentacour's picture

23-06-2014, 10:15

Thanks for the comments! Last summer I started to design it. To more I was learning, the most I was admiring Nemesis series, technically and like design (as a player I admired from many years ago). I've proved many scroll tecniques and enemies organization. And I keep in mind the playability over all the things. Little details how to know that a shoot has not destroyed an enemie but it has hurt, trivial enemies to "destroy them all!" and to know without doubt that an element in screen can destroy us when colisioning or not, I think it's very important in a shmup game. I wanted to get the feeling of Nemesis series in playability.

The original idea was to release a comic too (laughs, no time...). There are only some comic vignettes. There are a story and two more planets programmed but with a lot of bugs. I will release Nayade Resistance as other game out of contest with the three planets. But for this contest, the game is Nayade Resistance - Episode I. A mini game with only the first planet.

Thanks for playing!

By ARTRAG

ARTRAG's picture

16-06-2015, 09:09

Any news on this game ?
It was an outstanding but unfinished project (iirc the last two planets were under development ).

By pentacour

Supporter (9)

pentacour's picture

30-06-2015, 07:43

Thank's for the interest, Artrag. I corrected bugs of the three planets and I made some animations smoother. Main mechanics and graphics of the three planets are done too. But the overall result is not the idea I had, is not as I expected. So, I lost motivation to finish the game and its development is stopped. Sorry Sad

By Randam

Randam's picture

30-06-2015, 22:25

That is very sad to hear Pentacour. I was hoping it would be finished someday since it is a great game.

You say that you improved the version for those 3 planets. Is there any chance you will release the updated version as is? Sounds like that would be very cool even though you haven't finished the game completely.

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

01-07-2015, 07:26

That's too bad. Sad I was really looking forward towards playing the final version. Can we help you in any way? In what way(s) did the result not match your expectations?