MEGA Challenge - 10. Blur promo

by wolf_ on 28-06-2008, 00:45
Topic: Software

From XL2s comes the tenth entry for the MEGA Challenge: Blur promo. The promo part of the title refers to the state of the game, it's not completely finished yet, but it's nonetheless something completely new. In this 64x48 entry you get to play a horizontal shooter in a motionblur/framefade engine which is an unusual visual effect, and so far it's the only 64x48 entry in screen 3! This Megarom requires turbo R and SCC.

Relevant link: 10. Blur promo

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9767)

wolf_'s picture

28-06-2008, 00:57

And then ppl say Universe: Unknown is hard to play .. Hannibal ..but.. interesting concept!

By dvik

dvik's picture

28-06-2008, 01:03

Very cool effects I loved it. It was quite hard though.... and yeah UU is a piece of cake after finishing this game Wink

By hap

Paragon (2020)

hap's picture

28-06-2008, 01:08

No couple of seconds invincibility after you die is mean, I keep losing lifes in a loop with the game blinding me to find a safe spot. Tongue
Nice visual effects and speech Smile

*edit* ah! have to let go of the shooting button for after-death invincibility

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9767)

wolf_'s picture

28-06-2008, 01:10

As for the speech: game over @ 1:37 :P

By ARTRAG

ARTRAG's picture

28-06-2008, 20:02

Very lysergic, what drugs you used ?
I want the same !! Smile

Anyway very hard to play, all that blur make very difficult to understand where are the hittable parts

By Latok

msx guru (3672)

Latok's picture

28-06-2008, 21:20

How do I boot this game on my turboR? I have tried utils like ROMLOAD, ODO and EXECROM but none of them do the trick...

By Latok

msx guru (3672)

Latok's picture

28-06-2008, 21:59

I have the idea I should have a MegaRAM cartridge. Right? Are they still for sale? I could also use ROMLOAD to load the .ROM-file into a Konami (SD)Snatcher cartridge, but I believe my (SD)Snatcher carts are not expanded. So they don't have 128kb inside, right?

Do you people all have these MegaRAM cartridges? Or are you just booting these .ROM-files into emulators?

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9767)

wolf_'s picture

28-06-2008, 22:32

the latter I think.. Hannibal

By Latok

msx guru (3672)

Latok's picture

28-06-2008, 22:42

It's a strange world, releasing turboR games which can't even be booted on turboR computers.

By Edwin

ro's picture

29-06-2008, 10:52

WHOH! Need stuff

By GhostwriterP

GhostwriterP's picture

29-06-2008, 12:35

It seems it contains some bugs. It has something to do with the gameover screen... enemies start to behave different than intended... so whatever you do do not die! Tongue
ps: I finished it with two lifes to spare even without save states. I am getting really good at this!

By GhostwriterP

GhostwriterP's picture

29-06-2008, 12:52

For booting on msx you could try the following:

Make a ram dump in emu at or after the xl2s logo screen, dump all pages instead off pages 1,2,12,13 and 14 (these are free for you to use).
Make a little loader that loads all pages in ram. set page 0 @ C000h , page 1 @ 8000h , page 3 @ 0000h. switch to screen3 and then jump to 1C81h.

It could work... probably not... but still... it just might.

By GhostwriterP

GhostwriterP's picture

29-06-2008, 14:11

And do not forget to set the stack pointer at FBFFh.

By sjoerd

Hero (593)

sjoerd's picture

29-06-2008, 15:00

For booting on msx you could try the following:

It could work... probably not... but still... it just might.
Ah, thanks. That makes it so much clearer Tongue

By sjoerd

Hero (593)

sjoerd's picture

29-06-2008, 17:52

Like this: Blur promo dsk?

It (only the dsk version) now also works somewhat on msx2.

By ARTRAG

ARTRAG's picture

29-06-2008, 21:40

I've just tried the ROM on my TR with the scc flashrom by Manuel Pasos and it works fine.

By pitpan

pitpan's picture

30-06-2008, 10:52

Totally amazing!

Too bad that it doesn't run on an MSX1 computer (I know, palette is an issue, but the code should run fine).

Love the effects. So flashy! LOL!

By poke-1,170

poke-1,170's picture

30-06-2008, 11:59

damn this is nice ! the whole style is excellent, I realy love the pink feedback on the ship !
downside was that after a crash, the ship was placed back on the screen filled with those shrinkable planets,
losing 3 lifes without being able to do anything. I guess a small bit of invincibility to steer away safely would be good.

By GhostwriterP

GhostwriterP's picture

30-06-2008, 18:18

If you let go of the fire button you will have about 3-4 seconds invincibility. You loose it directly the moment you fire.
Maby I change that in actualy retriggering to be able to fire again and loose invincibility wihtin that time.
I frequently happens to me too, and that is a strong reason for me to change it.
I still do appriciate your (anyones) feedback, it is all very welcome.
Makes you all kinda co-developer Wink

By hap

Paragon (2020)

hap's picture

30-06-2008, 19:26

Will it have points/powerups from shooting down enemies in a future version? Right now it's easier to just avoid (most) enemies instead of shooting them in the line of fire.

By Latok

msx guru (3672)

Latok's picture

30-06-2008, 23:34

The DSK-version works great on my turboR. Thanks sjoerd!!!!!!! Big smile

By poke-1,170

poke-1,170's picture

01-07-2008, 13:47

Heh, I shouldn't be so triggerhappy then Wink
I think you did a neat job with the colours, it's visually very pretty to watch,
and the shades of pink are just beautiful. If you would do more levels, please
stick to that black + white + extra coulour scheme haha... is there any way that
the game could be faster, or is that limited because of the screnmode ?
And yeah, weapon upgrades would be fun (purple lasers Wink but not necessary so it
seems, it's not a hard game at all.
Would this be portable to msx2 as well ?

By GhostwriterP

GhostwriterP's picture

01-07-2008, 18:30

For porting to msx2 speed becomes an issue (as you can see for yoursef by run .dsk in msx2 config).
The blur engine alone take more than 1/60 of a second on z80 (and it is a highly optimised routine).

On turbor speed is synced at 30fps. It could run at 60 fps, at least most of it, but i am not gonna do that (at least for now).