SMR #12 - Source of Power

by snout on 06-03-2006, 01:25
Topic: Music

Wolf_ sent in the twelveth entry to the MRC Scene Remake Challenge. Originally by Knightram, Wolf_ re-arranged the song used in ANMA's infamous Source of Power megademo. The track was created using various samples, a Novation Supernova 2, a Roland JD800, a Yamaha FS1r, Impulser Tracker 2, Vegas 4 and Soundforge 5.

Relevant link: Source of Power

By snout

snout's picture

06-03-2006, 01:27

...the last-minute challenge contestant strikes again?

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9865)

wolf_'s picture

06-03-2006, 01:28

Squeek demo 2 & Source of Power

What would ANMA music sound anno 2006? In the ANMA-years their music wasn't known for it's
subtile character. Somehow the music was quite nice and at least unique, just a bit loud.
So, trying to do a makeover without loosing the somewhat agressive style and character
certainly was the challenge here.

First project was Squeek 2, a tune with a simple melody, it's about the same throughout the
whole tune. The original version was quite loud so the mission was set: make loudness! I
started making a basic remake, nothing fancy, just the notes and a number of instruments.
This early version however was already quite massive in its sound, I wondered how far I
could stretch it. Smile I thought it would be fun to do a massive break, with the typical
sound you hear from groups like Nightwish. Working towards that point I figured I'd need
brass, woodwinds, choirs, guitars and orchestral (chromatical) percussion. It was quite
easy in the end. Tongue
The ducks, yes the ducks.. even from the very beginning, some months ago really, I figured
I wanted ducks in the intro and NOT in the endtro. When the squeeky high tone starts the
ducks are all in panic, and are about to pack their bags. When the song's over, all that
remains is a lonely river. ^_^

Next came Source of Power. It's a tune mostly with 2 musical channels only. And that's
kinda nasty for a remake. It takes 3 notes to form a real chord, and real chords are way
more easy to 'expand' than 2 channels. There're a few spots where adding information to
form chords can be done, luckily.

The first seconds might mislead the listener, who could easily think it's a fully
orchestral arrangement. It starts kinda 'sober' with a trumpet giving shape to the intro-
motif, while woodwinds (flute, english horn and clarinet) and bells add some accents by
taking over the lead. Then after the short crescendo done by staccato woodwinds, the 2-
channel tune starts. The lead is a mix of an electric guitar and an Ovation, later on in
the tune true synthsounds are added.
At 1:05 a minor orchestral break at a spot where chords can be added, after which the 2-
channel structure continues. The climax of the song, at 2:25, finally gives ample space for
oodles o' chords 'n decorations. In the original song, the FM-clarinet gives a nice
counterline, which I accentuated here with staccato english horn and clarinet. Gives a nice
orchestral flavour to it. The Trombones and French Horns take care of the lower end, while
the Trumpet boldly adds a new line to the arrangement, how dare he! The flute plays the
lead in that part, along with the guitars and synths. The flute is certainly in-place at
that spot, giving the lead clearity.
The last part is basically a slow build-up to the final chord after which the tune fades
towards a dark nothing.
In the mixing-session I added timpanis, crashes and last but not least taikos! They really
make the floor shake, even on mid-size speakers they cut through, let alone on a very big
system.

By dvik

dvik's picture

06-03-2006, 07:04

Very nice song. I like it a lot. Great job wolf_ Cool

By BiFi

BiFi's picture

06-03-2006, 07:08

and this after André bashed Sphere... Wink

By BiFi

BiFi's picture

06-03-2006, 07:16

wolf takes ye infinite time for the entries, but they're usually well worth the wait... and this time apparently no changes in that department...

By dvik

dvik's picture

06-03-2006, 07:24

Yep. definately worth waiting for Smile

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9865)

wolf_'s picture

06-03-2006, 10:57

ps.

Apart from all the descriptions above: for this remake I used the refresh-register Tongue Cool

By konamiman

konamiman's picture

06-03-2006, 16:42

And I guess that also waves... waves... and more waves... Tongue

By SolidEric

SolidEric's picture

06-03-2006, 19:31

Nice remake wolf, this tune and entry 3 from Bart are my favorites!

By BiFi

BiFi's picture

07-03-2006, 07:21

and of course the unforgetable joke in dutch Smile

By AuroraMSX

Paragon (1901)

AuroraMSX's picture

07-03-2006, 09:40

To be honest, I've always like ANMA productions best with the volume turned down to zip :-S
These remixes though are very nice -- typical Wolf_ sound while still remaining the weird ANMA touch...

By AuroraMSX

Infamous != not famous ^_^

By AuroraMSX

Paragon (1901)

AuroraMSX's picture

09-03-2006, 20:57

Infamous != not famous ^_^
I know. That' why I asked...

By AuroraMSX

Paragon (1901)

AuroraMSX's picture

09-03-2006, 20:58

(and when do we get an edit option for new post reactions? Eek! )

By dvik

dvik's picture

09-03-2006, 23:11

Infamous is even worse than 'not famous'. It means somethink like having an exceedingly bad reputation.

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9865)

wolf_'s picture

10-03-2006, 18:49

yep, see here: http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/infamous

My fav. filmscore website once mentioned "the infamous Gladiator theme", this after the countless forumdiscussions about the theme being heavily based on - or even ripped from- the classical piece The Planets, by Gustav holst, even when the actual soundtrack-album was quite a smash-hit.