John Hassink's 25 favorite Western MSX PSG music

by wolf_ on 02-08-2012, 02:20
Topic: Music
Tags: PSG

Over the past few decades, Japanese game companies squeezed an impressive library of wonderful sounds and technically top-notch songs out of our beloved MSX. Sometimes, this could make one forget about the great legacy which non-Japanese composers left to us.

This was a reason for long time MSX fan John Hassink to make a YouTube compilation of his 25 personal favourite 'Western' MSX PSG tunes. Of course it's inevitable that a lot of music on this list consists of compositions by legends such as Ben Daglish and Rob Hubbard, which also exist in versions on MSX's nephews like the ZX Spectrum and Commodore 64.

This video is a huge one; it's good for a straight hour of 8-bit goodness. Perhaps the composers among you may find something of interest to arrange into something contemporary! Maybe the gamers among you may find inspiration to create a video about an MSX top-25 too.

Relevant link: John Hassink's 25 Favourite Western MSX PSG Music

By ARTRAG

ARTRAG's picture

02-08-2012, 09:10

Great compilation, anyway western msx games are in average quite poor wrt Japanese products
I do not remember or I've never seen many of these games

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5587)

JohnHassink's picture

02-08-2012, 09:36

Which ones didn't you know yet for sure?

By Jorito

Mr. Ambassadors (1767)

Jorito's picture

02-08-2012, 10:01

There was quite some new stuff for me in there as well. A nice surprise though, and a good choice of songs.
Somehow the title screen song from TNT seems to be missing tho Wink

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (116)

anonymous's picture

02-08-2012, 10:47

@ Jorito:
Say wha'? As far as I know there's only one song in that entire game. Smile
(although I think I've never beaten it, so there might be some ending thingy or something)

By Meits

Meits's picture

02-08-2012, 10:55

There's more than one tune in TNT Wink

Having played this entire vid, I (once again) noticed that those European games had friggin long and stong compositions. It's just the PSG sound that annoys Tongue

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5587)

JohnHassink's picture

02-08-2012, 11:14

How can I hear that extra tune in TNT? Should I get to a certain level?

By hap

Paragon (2038)

hap's picture

02-08-2012, 17:33

hmm, did you muck around with the equaliser when you recorded this? The left channel is louder than the right, and I can hear artifacts on the right channel sometimes.

By ray2day

Nemesis (666)

ray2day's picture

02-08-2012, 17:35

Cool top 25! Yes, there are some favourites of mine in it. Especially 'Auf Wieder Sehen Monty' I like very much.
I notice there's a lot of 'new' stuff in the list. But no problem, very cool tunes in there also.
What depends on the 'old' games I would say I probably miss: Feud (Mastertronic)

By Meits

Meits's picture

02-08-2012, 19:43

John: Stage 2 has different music than stage 1 Smile

By Jorito

Mr. Ambassadors (1767)

Jorito's picture

02-08-2012, 21:38

There is music in the stages? Not that I remember, afaik there are only sound effects in TNT during gameplay. And I played until nearly the end!

02-08-2012, 23:09

Heh, I also recorded a lot of games with cool PSG music, see my YouTube channel. I could make a play list with them as an alternative for your vid Smile

By Latok

msx guru (3836)

Latok's picture

02-08-2012, 23:12

In my opinion, L'Affaire and Les Passagers Du Vent have some of the best PSG music. And John selected them as well. Cool Smile

Agree with ray2day as well, I also love FEUD music. But probably it's better as BGM than as a musical composition in its own.

By Latok

msx guru (3836)

Latok's picture

03-08-2012, 00:31

Just played TNT. Awesome titletrack. No music in game though, just sound effects, just as jorito is saying Smile

By Latok

msx guru (3836)

Latok's picture

03-08-2012, 00:36

And on youtube there are tnt vids with stage music. But only if you dont actually start moving. Strange.

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (116)

anonymous's picture

03-08-2012, 03:34

hap wrote:

Yes. As a matter of fact, almost all of the preparations for this video were done shortly after recording the MOAM promo vid, for which I deliberately panned the PSG a bit to the left and the SCC to the right, 'cause that worked out nicely for that particular set-up.
The blueMSX 'mixer' settings where still in this state when sampling these PSG tunes, only then the line output of my laptop had just gone borked, forcing me to audit everything with just the (mono) internal speaker output. Since this is, ofcourse, mono and sort of having forgotten about the settings, this went undetected.
When I found out on my new PC, I couldn't really be arsed to record and edit (and trust me, I had to do quite some split-second editing here and there) those 20+ tracks again, so sorry, but you'll have to put up with this. ;)

ray2day wrote:

Sure there's 'new' stuff represented! :D I would have found it disrespectful not to include the awesome work of new generation-composers, whose work I enjoy very much. :)
Mind you, the final selection was very hard on me. I was tempted to upgrade the whole thing to a top 30 or even 50 because of that, but I guess there comes a time when you have to call it a day. ;)

Which is, getting to that, one of the reasons that Feud had to go. Actually, it was Feud or Terramex. That, and the fact that I couldn't get Feud to work on blueMSX.

Meits wrote:

John: Stage 2 has different music than stage 1 :)

But isn't the 'intro music' to stage 1 exactly the same as in the title screen?

By Meits

Meits's picture

03-08-2012, 10:32

It's the same patterns at least.

By Meits

Meits's picture

03-08-2012, 10:45

Here is stage two for you. It appeared to be longer than this, I found out, but then I already cut recording...

When you move, the music stops.

By Edwin

Edwin's picture

03-08-2012, 11:13

Interesting list with a few things I hadn't heard before. Naturally, any list must be questioned. This one is no exception since I heard arps. Which is, of course, totally unacceptable! Tongue

By Oscar

Guardian (581)

Oscar's picture

03-08-2012, 22:04

I love Master of the Lamps music. I dream with a new arranged version in Moonsound or other audio equipment. This music deserve it.

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5587)

JohnHassink's picture

03-08-2012, 22:31

Oscar wrote:

Smile

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5587)

JohnHassink's picture

03-08-2012, 23:36

Thanks Meits! Dang, I should try to beat this game for once. I recognize that second level, but can't remember getting past it when I was a kid.

04-08-2012, 14:33

Here are some of mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2GdgM7uPnE&list=PLFA7015B273...

(for some reason the pop doesn't replay them correctly... use the YouTube itself...)

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9896)

wolf_'s picture

04-08-2012, 14:53

Hm, though it plays correctly here in the pop up..

04-08-2012, 16:53

For me it didn't skip the useless parts... it took me more than an hour to edit the play list to only show the tunes...

By [WYZ]

[WYZ]'s picture

05-08-2012, 11:45

Boulder Dash is my favorite tune from the list, including the random sound after the main menu. Big smile . Master of the lamps has also good feeling tunes.

By [WYZ]

[WYZ]'s picture

26-08-2012, 13:57

Night City Music [Six Miles High] was composed by Gasman (Matt Westcott) one of the best western composer for sure.

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5587)

JohnHassink's picture

26-08-2012, 14:13

Thank you for that information, [WYZ]! Indeed, I had been looking for the composer responsible for that great piece of work.

By ARTRAG

ARTRAG's picture

26-08-2012, 19:01

Gasman was a master in the zx scene
iirc he coded the original 6 channel player for zx spectrum i ported to msx
he was with ay riders iirc

By [WYZ]

[WYZ]'s picture

06-10-2012, 16:19

Long time ago I'm thinking about remaking the brütal music of Boulder Dash's main theme. This seems to be a good place for Link it.

Ramdom music is not included.

07-10-2012, 23:46