19 Russian Moonblaster stereo tunes

by snout on 28-03-2006, 19:02
Topic: Music

Following this thread on our active MSX forum, MSX_Rus sent us 19 MSX-AUDIO/MSX-MUSIC tracks composed in Moonblaster stereo. The songs have just been added to our ever growing MSX freeware downloads section.

If you'd like to share your productions with the MSX community, send them to [email protected] Happy downloading!

Relevant link: MSX downloads database

By Gilneas2

Master (236)

Gilneas2's picture

30-03-2006, 08:32

I wish I could play this on my PC without an emulator.
There's no way to yet, right?
I'm going to have to make a new MB player disk.

By BiFi

BiFi's picture

30-03-2006, 11:36

You can, with MSXplug

By Gilneas2

Master (236)

Gilneas2's picture

31-03-2006, 00:28

Is there a way to do it on Linux too?

By BiFi

BiFi's picture

31-03-2006, 07:19

That's something I don't know...

By mth

mth's picture

31-03-2006, 08:15

There isn't yet, but it wouldn't be that hard to make an approximation. Make a system ROM that contains only the MB replayer. No need even for a RAM search routine: just put ROM in slot 0 address 0000-3FFF and RAM in 4000-FFFF. Put a minimal input handler on 0038. As soon as the MSX boots, go into HALT.

Then use the debug commands of openMSX to load MBMs directly into RAM and MWKs directly into sample RAM. Now set the Program Counter to the routine that starts playback. This script you can pass to openMSX with the -script parameter.

Once that works, create a small program that uses the -control option of openMSX to use it in slave mode (like MPlayer). Use the control connection to send it commands to load a new song or to quit. I have a Python module for easily handling the control protocol (it's used in an experimental new version of Catapult); it's not in CVS yet but I can mail it to you.

Now you have a standalone program for playing MBM files. You could then consider to make a plug-in for XMMS or amaroK or another player so you get playlist support.

By mth

mth's picture

31-03-2006, 08:17

input handler -> interrupt handler

MRC coders: Could we have an option to edit reactions like in the forum? Please?