European MSXA website updated

by wolf_ on 31-03-2009, 17:19
Topic: MSX Revival

Last year, the European website of MSX-Association caused a bit of a stir during the short period it was online. One speculation after another kept the scene busy. And suddenly, the same European website disappeared. Since then, one could say that some of the turbulence in the scene also disappeared, or at least cooled down.

And then, like a phoenix, the European MSXA website seems back in action again. This time however, it only contains a few messages in English and Japanese. Perhaps, this action is the result of a few humorous IRC-chats with the person in question in the last few days. 'Humorous' would be an objective description of this log, in which Kay Nishi is said to visit Europe in July while skipping The Netherlands, MSX-Association has a London office with five paid employees, admin Rikusu was sent to a Japanese court and admin wolf_ was going to be fined for 3200 euro for his 'role in Bazix' (while -naturally- also receiving a court order from Japan in the near future).

We must emphasize that today is the last day of March, not the first day of April. Some people are clearly ahead of time. Whatever the worth of all this is for anyone to decide, but any hope that something useful will emerge from MSXA-Europe is probably wishful thinking.

Relevant link: MSXA - Europe

By konamiman

konamiman's picture

31-03-2009, 18:29

Just for information... March 31, 17:19 in Europe (The Netherlands and Spain, at least) = April 1, 0:19 in Japan. Smile

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9758)

wolf_'s picture

31-03-2009, 18:34

That site has been like that at least since this morning.. Tongue

By Huey

Huey's picture

31-03-2009, 19:53

Already gone again......

Dunno... did someone think it was funny?

@konamiman: IIRC 24th of February is the japanese version of 1st April.

By Ivan

Ivan's picture

31-03-2009, 20:17

Yeah funny... at least they could distribute the 1chipMSX (or ESE MSX System 3) in Europe... Quite a bunch of people are angry because the 1chipMSX is out of stock and won't be able to get one Sad

By hap

Paragon (2019)

hap's picture

31-03-2009, 20:54

The fact that these silly accusations/threats aren't from just a random guy, but from the overseas representative of MSXA ( 塩沢俊平 - Shunpei Shiozawa), is indeed not funny.
Ivan: They only plan to exclude Dutch customers. You're Spanish, don't worry. Wink

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9758)

wolf_'s picture

31-03-2009, 21:00

Sometimes it pays do save the website Tongue

(edit: version with less gobbledegob)
pub.unreal64.net/boor/eurmsxa2.png

By konamiman

konamiman's picture

31-03-2009, 21:45

Who wrote and published this crap? One can agree or not with the adequateness of Shiozawa for the job assigned to him (in fact, I also find difficult to communicate with him en english), but having a page which contains just insults under a domain name containing the word MSX is not funny at all.

By hap

Paragon (2019)

hap's picture

31-03-2009, 22:02

Only 1 insult there really, I don't care who posted it, it's offline now anyway. Smile
What matters more are the threats. Are they serious? Why did MSXA employ this guy, for creating 'fud'?

By Edwin

Edwin's picture

31-03-2009, 22:23

Considering what Shiosomething has been writing on irc, this page put it rather mildly.

By sunrise

sunrise's picture

31-03-2009, 22:53

I share for 100% the opinion of konamiman

By SLotman

SLotman's picture

01-04-2009, 05:22

Why post about it and bring attention to it? Just ignore it, best thing to do! Some things are not worth mentioning...

By cax

cax's picture

01-04-2009, 16:15

Great way to spoil the 01/04. Bad joke, I would say.

By spl

spl's picture

02-04-2009, 02:41

oOoOoOoOoO

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5386)

JohnHassink's picture

02-04-2009, 03:08

Please forgive me if I'm asking 5t00p1d kw35hun5 here,
But:

* Why was this thread created?
* Did the site which is deleted now say something interesting?
* Was the issue about relevant work done by someone?
* Did the overall message of -the anything- that spawned this thread inspire people?
* Was the original message conceived/transmitted by content generating individuals?
* If no, was it relevant to anyone?

Please try to wisely consider yielding "airing/bandwith" to things/individuals that take their toll but produce nothing.

And please correct me if I'm wrong.

By Grauw

Grauw's picture

02-04-2009, 16:06

The interesting newsworthy part of this post is “Kay Nishi is said to visit Europe in July while skipping The Netherlands, MSX-Association has a London office with five payed (sic) employees”.

The suing of two members of the MSX community could also be newsworthy except that we have no idea what they are being sued/fined for and thus have no way to make any kind of judgement about it. And as wolf_ wrote the news post, being one of the two persons in question, I doubt such details would be given from a neutral point of view anyway.

The rest is just MSXA and MRC/Bazix throwing mud at eachother.

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5386)

JohnHassink's picture

02-04-2009, 16:57

Thanks Grauw, for the explanation.

I didn't read the newspost thoroughly enough; shame on me.

Good luck to the persons being sued.

By Sama

Ambassador (2060)

Sama's picture

02-04-2009, 17:32

First of all, let me clarify once again that 'MRC/Bazix' has nothing to do with the 'European MSXA' website. Nice of you, Grauw, to talk about mud throwing. As far as I can see, the text on that site has nothing to do with 'MRC/Bazix' whatsoever. That aside, I read the chatlog and I must say I found it rather amusing. I'm still anxiously waiting for that Japanese court order to arrive (wasn't I already being sued last year by the way?). Fact is, of course, that wolf_ has to pay 3200 EUR for his participation in Bazix. He's not a member, so participating should cost him 3200 EUR allright. You know the Bazix bank account number, don't you, wolf_?

Finally, according to my most recent information, MSX Association has ceased to exist already in June 2008. Even if this weren't the case, all rights pertaining to the MSX system have shifted to MSX Licensing Corporation. Nishi is no longer a member of MSX Association, but is a member of MSX Licensing Corporation. Maybe this clears things out a little.

By hap

Paragon (2019)

hap's picture

02-04-2009, 17:32

Here's the interesting bits. (I'm not gonna paste the personal threats)..<buhi> ESE3 will be sold in Europe next week. without NL

<buhi> D4 is defeated because of the trial.
<buhi> The court prohibits the management of EGG.
<buhi> good luck for Bazix

<buhi> Ww have a office in LONDON
<buhi> 5 worker
<buhi> It doesn't sell to the country that disregards the copyright.

<buhi> Dr. nishi going to EU after May

MSXLC <> MSXA, hap Smile

By hap

Paragon (2019)

hap's picture

02-04-2009, 17:45

Believe what you want. Tongue
Do one thing for me then, could you explain the fact that the rights to MSX have not shifted at all since 1983? (look it up on trademark websites)

By Sama

Ambassador (2060)

Sama's picture

02-04-2009, 17:51

Okay. To be more exact, the copyrights and trademarks themselves haven't shifted. MSX Association was a representative of the organization that holds the rights. That organization now employs MSX Licensing Corporation as its representative, taking away all authority of MSX Association. I forgot the organization's name and am too lazy to look it up, but let's call it X. The relation X-MSX Association was comparable with MSX Association-Bazix in the past. What has shifted from MSXA to MSXLC is the proxy. Does this clarify?

By hap

Paragon (2019)

hap's picture

02-04-2009, 18:01

kesken kesken

By Sama

Ambassador (2060)

Sama's picture

02-04-2009, 18:14

Does that mean 'Aha, I see'? Smile

By hap

Paragon (2019)

hap's picture

02-04-2009, 18:43

nah, I stopped, it was a futile discussion

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9758)

wolf_'s picture

02-04-2009, 18:54

Fixed the paid/payed thing, which looks to be an archaic bug in my gelly grey CPU. Tongue

As for the value of the news: formally it's an MSX-website which has been updated. Also it's not just another website, it's the European spot of MSXA (whatever value you give it). Hence: it's being posted about. The update of the website closely followed after a remarkable chatlog in which the representative of MSXA makes several unrealistic and hilarious statements.

Whatever is written in the newspost *has* happened, and has been witnessed by several people. You've seen parts of the chatlog, you can see a screenshot of the relevant page. Also, since the subject of the news was a lecturer last year in Den Dolder, about all kinds of new things, I'd say it's fairly important news also. Is it, in a way, entertainment? Sure. Is it boulevard news? Grey area, but I don't think so. (would you consider a politician causing a bit of a sensation in the media to be boulevard news as well?) Is it of any importance towards MSX users? Sure is!

Most likely, you don't like the news, perhaps because you had high hopes for anything ESE4 related.

By SLotman

SLotman's picture

02-04-2009, 19:36

So, after reading all this... where is that log everyone comments???

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9758)

wolf_'s picture

02-04-2009, 19:43

Well, essential parts can be read a few posts above. The 'real' log is longer of course, but contains the usual IRC rubbish: joins/quits, ppl continuing in Dutch for a few lines, or just mixing up other topics/jokes etc. etc. The sections you see above are what they are: the essential bits filtered out.

By sunrise

sunrise's picture

03-04-2009, 07:52

Is boulevard news . Topic closedRunning Naked in a Field of Flowers

By pitpan

pitpan's picture

03-04-2009, 11:35

The average MSX user does not care about all this. All we should care about is MSXing Wink

The result is clear: we were expecting some fools' day newspost and we just got this no-so-private quarrel among individuals.

Would the MSX community benefit from this trademark issue? For sure not. But would it hurt it instead? I doubt it too. For most of us, MSX is just a loved hobby and we pretend to continue like this no matter what happens in the Real World (TM).

Just my 5c.

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5386)

JohnHassink's picture

03-04-2009, 11:47

Totally agree with pitpan here.

Though I'd like to add that we should protect developers of content from destructive factors.
Honest criticism is good for all as it will improve products.
What you can see here are negative forces caring for $$$ and not for MSX.

Hence: when that world crosses the line to step into "our" world, kick the demons back and defend our "scene". Smile

[EDIT] To clarify what I mean:
I can only speak for myself, but I'm so very very grateful to those people who continue to develop games and tools, and the people that maintain sites like these, the ones translating games... you name it!
If we want to get new, qualitative (usually FREE!) content, we should be honestly critical, always.
But we should also not leave them by themselves when they are dishonestly attacked.
Because if we do, there may be one day we can forget about new content alltogether.

By hap

Paragon (2019)

hap's picture

03-04-2009, 14:04

Agreed, our turf is much more important! Smile
Still, seriously, buhi is a bully.

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5386)

JohnHassink's picture

03-04-2009, 14:11

Yes, if you want to have fun, ask him about his favorite MSX games.
Guess what? He can't tell you.
Why not? Because he is not an MSX fan, never was, never will be.
MSX seems to look like an easy, virtually untouched source of drillin' for mo' money to people with a certain mindset.
The truth can be tough sometimes... Wink

By Ivan

Ivan's picture

04-04-2009, 20:06

I've started a forum thread as I need some answers: link

By Grauw

Grauw's picture

05-04-2009, 14:47

@Rikusu: isn’t this news post called ‘European MSXA website’ and does the post not mention you and wolf_, aka MRC and/or Bazix? And yes, throwing mud, that is what I call legal threats and public ridiculing Smile. Either way, I was merely responding to people saying this news post isn’t newsworthy, while I think it is, partially. Although it would be nice if it were more fact-focused and worded more neutrally. But given the people involved, it is understandable that it is not.

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9758)

wolf_'s picture

05-04-2009, 15:25

But it is! The things listed from the chatlog *did* happen, and have been seen (and perhaps logged) by participants of that channel. The reason things look ridiculous is because the person in question has done his utmost best for that.

But given the people involved, it is understandable that it is not.
Had the trials be about.. say.. Fixato and Meits (just two regulars of the channel), then the newspost would've been identical but with different names. But alas, the *cough* Tokyo court orders *cough* are for Rikusu and me. I also happen to be the main newsposter here (almost the only one these days), so yea: for completeness' sake I gotta be mentioned as well, even tho I didn't ask for it. Another newsposter would've done the same. Rikusu was not involved in the actual newspost btw.

By Sander

Ambassador (1844)

Sander's picture

12-04-2009, 22:02

@hap:

03 Nom du titulaire
MSX Licensing Corporation
04 Adresse (rue et numéro) du titulaire
2-14-3 Uchikanda
05 Code postal, localité et pays du titulaire
Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-0047,
Japon

The rights have been transferred worldwide.