Sanyo brand to retire in 2012

by snout on 04-12-2010, 13:20
Topic: MSX Related

Source: Konamito

The Japanese company Sanyo Electric has played a large role in the history of MSX - having produced a wide range of different MSX computers, from MSX1 to MSX2+, and providing a solid basis for the Philips MSX2 computers. Earlier this year Panasonic, a brand that needs no further introduction to us MSX fans, acquired Sanyo for $9.4 billion. Following their merger, Panasonic have decided to retire the Sanyo brand name in April 2012. With this, a 65 year history - almost a decade of which partially dedicated to MSX - comes to an end.

Relevant link: Article on the end of Sanyo on Japan Today

By fukenko

fukenko's picture

04-12-2010, 17:18

Sanyo is grate brand for Japanese,so I feel something sad to hear the news.The second MSX I bought was Wavy23.

By MsxKun

MsxKun's picture

04-12-2010, 20:30

Too bad Sad My TV is a SANYO one. My music thingy (dunno the word in english, it has 2 tapes, vinyl player, radio...), is SANYO, it has a lot of years and still is working. Also have a second Sanyo radio... So, yep, 2012, the end of the world!!

By WORP3

WORP3's picture

08-12-2010, 09:30

Don't forget that the most Philips msx computers where actually coming from Sanyo !

By Ivan

Ivan's picture

11-12-2010, 00:20

The only good product from Sanyo in recent times are Eneloop batteries. They were the first "ready to use" low self-discharge NiMH rechargeable batteries and it seems that they are still the best on the market.

By mohai

mohai's picture

18-12-2010, 13:23

I never had an MSX Sanyo branded but, my first VHS video my first colour tv set and radio-cassette were Sanyo. By the way, that video is still working ! TV gone to trash after LCD came in, but still fully working !
Also, i remember tv spots in Spanish TV inthe eigthies, specially one with Rendez-vous II music ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gfto_W9zxE (there was a long and a short version of this one)

I remember being very young and listening music completelly amazed.