JP Grobler, the developer of DSKExplorer has sent us the fourth entry to the MRC Snowfall Challenge. His demo is called Sneeu, which is Afrikaans for 'Snow'. In this demo you can see the desired falling snow effect and a scroller. This is the first real MSX demo created by JP Grobler.

If you want to send in a snow demo as well, please do so before January 5th, 2004. You can win one of the many interesting prizes listed in this newspost.

Relevant link: Sneeu

By Ivan

Ivan's picture

16-12-2003, 23:25

which is South African for 'Snow'

Maybe you are referring to Afrikaans.

By DarQ

DarQ's picture

16-12-2003, 23:57

yes, he is ;-)

By snout

snout's picture

17-12-2003, 00:29

-burp-

By BiFi

BiFi's picture

17-12-2003, 09:46

Nice snow-jokes scrolling by... Very nice snowfall too. Not bad for a first try on MSX assembly. Well done!

By BiFi

BiFi's picture

17-12-2003, 09:48

Neat. I just checked out the source... There are some quite familiar routines in it Wink

By jpgrobler

Master (155)

jpgrobler's picture

17-12-2003, 10:28

Routines used:
* random generator - Bifi, I see clcpos is included in my demo source but not used (sorry Bifi)
* calc of new x & y - Bifi, modified
* snow table - 3 bytes x,y,old colour to redo the background
* scroller - MAGGOO scroll demo, modified to allow for snow falling

Font - my own, in paintshop v7
Pset / Reset / Point - my own (bugger if you try them on RuMsx)

The snow falling structure differs quite from BiFi to allow snow falling in front of the background.

Jokes - internet
picture - my own drawing, saw a similar one once

Thanks for all putting up sources, Hans Ottens site, msx.org etc

"Cutting and pasting is a way of learning!" - Kindergarden teacher

By BiFi

BiFi's picture

17-12-2003, 11:39

No problem, I'm glad you like the routines enough to use them and as long as you understand what's happening it's fine with me. It's all part of the learning process.

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

17-12-2003, 15:23

What's wrong with South African?! It's the language spoken in South Africa. 'Afrikaans' is just the local name for it, just like 'Nederlands' is the local name for Dutch and 'nihongo' is the local name for Japanese.

By Ivan

Ivan's picture

17-12-2003, 15:42

I think that you are wrong, Afrikaans is a word in English. At least it appears in my English dictionary...

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

17-12-2003, 16:49

Yes, I know it is.
But IMO it's discriminating to call new language names, place names and country names by their local names, while all older languages, places and countries are called differently.

By jpgrobler

Master (155)

jpgrobler's picture

17-12-2003, 21:20

On the AFrikaans topic:

Afrikaans is the name of one of the official languages spoken in South Africa. We have 11 official languages of which Zulu is the biggest, then Afrikaans & English.

It is correct to refer to it as Afrikaans and not 'South African'

Afrikaans derived from Dutch mainly and was influenced by German, French & English. It is a young language not older than 400 years (1652 the first europeans landed in SA).

The closest to Afrikaans is 'Flaams' spoken in Belgium, but there are the little differences that make communicating in English still the easiest.

JP

By Grauw

Grauw's picture

17-12-2003, 23:40

Well I have this file sharing program Shareaza. The latest version was multilingual, so it offered me a list of languages. Dutch wasn't among it, but, Afrikaans was. So, I thought, hey cool, let's use that. But er, to be honest, most of the time I can't make any sense of it ^_^. Maybe it's got something to do with that it uses a lot of 'modern' (computer-related) words which are totally unfamiliar to me. Cool, to have own words instead of taking them from English as we too often do Smile. But it doesn't make it easier to understand.

But, I'm leaving it like that, for practice Smile. It should be a matter of memorizing... if only they had kep the grammar intact -_-;;...

~Grauw

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

18-12-2003, 00:13

I just don't understand why they use double negation, as in french :/

By jpgrobler

Master (155)

jpgrobler's picture

18-12-2003, 04:14

"actually a lot of the grammar was simplified.. conjugations of verbs for example.
I just don't understand why they use double negation, as in french :"

We Afrikaans speaking people do not know why we use it but we do!! Not it actually comes from the French influence in South Africa's early years.