During Christmas 2012 we started the Konami Cartridges poll. After 176 votes we felt it was time for a new poll, but let's first have a look at the outcome of the previous poll. We asked you how many original Konami cartridges you own, and here's the outcome:

  • 1..5: 33.5%
  • more than 20: 23.9%
  • 6..10: 18.2%
  • 11..20: 14.2%
  • None: 10.2%

The figures speak for themselves, let's hop straight over to the new poll. As you've read, a few days ago, the #msxdev Compo 2012 contest was closed without winner due to the lack of an acceptable amount of audience votes (in a construction where people had to cast their votes on IRC). Despite having jury reports from almost all the contenders, the organizers had decided that it was not possible to point out a winner, and the related main prize was moved to the 2013 edition. Still, this leaves the contenders of the 2012 edition without a clear idea of who could possibly have won, other than the contenders' own jury reports.

So, as a gesture towards those contenders, we've decided to open an unofficial poll - we've done it before with the MSXdev'10 entries. Obviously, the contenders won't win anything apart from knowing our poll results in.. oh, a month or something like that. So, keep in mind it's all unofficial, but you'll do the contenders a favour by checking their entries again (so please don't just click a poll option randomly!) and then cast your vote. If you wish you can use the poll comments if you want to add some context to your choice. Below you'll find links to the related news posts, for your convenience.

Vote wisely, and as always: if you have a killer idea for another poll, you know how to reach us!

Relevant link: Poll results

Comments (93)

By Arkhan

Champion (259)

Arkhan's picture

18-02-2013, 21:19

It would have been simpler if everyone who was interested just come vote as was requested, instead of making an entire new poll/post about it after the fact...

By mars2000you

Enlighted (5470)

mars2000you's picture

18-02-2013, 21:22

Quote:

we've decided to open an unofficial poll - we've done it before with the MSXdev'10 entries.

All MSXdev'10 entries were games, here you want to compare apples (= games) and pears (=demos), it's not fair for demos as big majority of MSX fans prefer games. Fans of sites like http://www.pouet.net/ dedicated to demos are in another world : I can also citate big multi-platforms contests for demos, they have even many sub-categories to not mix too different kinds of demos !

Besides, you can't play a demo, you can only enjoy it. Two polls should be a better option, one for the games, one for the demos. Unfortunaly, some developers don't want to understand that, they are probably thinking that the end-users don't have the right to think differently, it's for me a form of deadly blindness.

By OeiOeiVogeltje

Paragon (1270)

OeiOeiVogeltje's picture

18-02-2013, 21:31

zeur niet

By Jorito

Mr. Ambassadors (1761)

Jorito's picture

18-02-2013, 21:31

Easy solution: simply vote for the entry that you enjoy most. Doesn't matter that you enjoy games and demos differently.
Besides, nothing wrong with KISS (keep it simple, stupid).

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

18-02-2013, 21:36

@Arkhan: Yes, pretty sad that this poll received twice as much votes in 30 minutes than the original in 72 hours.

By OeiOeiVogeltje

Paragon (1270)

OeiOeiVogeltje's picture

18-02-2013, 21:41

Makes one wonder....

By mars2000you

Enlighted (5470)

mars2000you's picture

18-02-2013, 21:42

Jorito : because you are so kind in your answer, I've just voted for the entry I enjoy most (sorry, it's a game, not a demo).

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9758)

wolf_'s picture

18-02-2013, 21:42

Mars2k: in the older MRC challenges (underwater, bounce etc.) there were - iirc - also games alongside demos. I don't think I remember you complaining there about games 'n demos being in the same race.

By mars2000you

Enlighted (5470)

mars2000you's picture

18-02-2013, 21:43

Wolf : we have posted at the same time, Jorito has 'resolved' my problem Wink

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9758)

wolf_'s picture

18-02-2013, 21:45

ps. the MSXdev'10 reference wasn't meant to equal game and demo entries into one kind - as you seem to think. It's only meant to point out that a third party can do a poll.

By Arkhan

Champion (259)

Arkhan's picture

18-02-2013, 21:48

Wouldn't it have made more sense to just vote for the good of the contest instead of boycotting for the usual reasons?...

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

18-02-2013, 22:03

Well, I for one don't like IRC or chatting in general. Would have preferred an online form to vote. From others I hear that they don't enjoy being on the channel on which the voting should had taken place.

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5386)

JohnHassink's picture

18-02-2013, 22:08

Jorito wrote:

Besides, nothing wrong with KISS (keep it simple, stupid).

So, it's not Knights In Satan's Service? Evil

By Arkhan

Champion (259)

Arkhan's picture

18-02-2013, 22:10

JohnHassink wrote:

Well, I for one don't like IRC or chatting in general. Would have preferred an online form to vote. From others I hear that they don't enjoy being on the channel on which the voting should had taken place.

People are old enough to realize they can put any grudges and bad feelings aside for the sake of voting for people's efforts for their favorite retro computer.

Why they choose to act like 5 year olds instead, and let their grudges interfere with supporting their fellow MSXers, is beyond me.

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

18-02-2013, 22:16

I don't know. I guess it may have been a slightly too high treshold for some people. Maybe they were even a bit 'scared'. I understood that a lot of screaming and namecalling goes on there. But: I didn't see for myself.

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9758)

wolf_'s picture

18-02-2013, 22:20

If you look at the previous poll, you'll notice it got 176 votes in some 7 weeks time. 176 is a figure you'll never get on IRC. And allright, not every poll @ MRC ends with 176, but still some 50..100 votes would be quite doable, and probably enough to make a balance judgement for a contest. And whether or not the actual IRC channel has anything to do with isn't even relevant; many people just aren't into chatting and/or chatting on IRC, they chat using contemporary social media at best; Facebook 'n such, or GChat, or.. uh.. is MSN still in the air? ^^. The reason some of us are using IRC is probably because we've been doing so since halfway the 90's, when social media wasn't here yet (or it was, but it was called 'IRC' or 'forum' or 'mailing list'), but it's really a minority among MSX users who use IRC. So if you want votes: do a website poll. Forget IRC, really, for audience voting it doesn't work.

By Arkhan

Champion (259)

Arkhan's picture

18-02-2013, 22:20

screaming and namecalling?

Outside of me typing in all-caps about random nonsense, I don't recall any screaming. Smile

By Akiguchi

Hero (608)

Akiguchi's picture

18-02-2013, 22:28

For people like me who haven't used IRC almost ever, the process of voting was too troublesome. I instantly forget the idea of voting when I read something about IRC and stuff. So for everyone arranging these polls: make it easy and accessable to as many people as possible, otherwise you might be left without votes.

By Arkhan

Champion (259)

Arkhan's picture

18-02-2013, 22:30

Akiguchi wrote:

For people like me who haven't used IRC almost ever, the process of voting was too troublesome. I instantly forget the idea of voting when I read something about IRC and stuff. So for everyone arranging these polls: make it easy and accessable to as many people as possible, otherwise you might be left without votes.

Competition Main Page wrote:

The results of the judges are in! After reading their reports, you can tell us your list of top winners. Just visit #msxdev IRC by clicking this link, voting is open until the end of the month. Unfortunately, competitor Gamecast failed to fulfill its obligation to submit a report, so feel free to weigh this into your votes.

There is a link that is literally in that post on the main page, and would have involved minimal effort....

I find it strange that users of a computer from 1980 are so quick to dismiss IRC, but have no problem loading up games from disk on an MSX...

By Jorito

Mr. Ambassadors (1761)

Jorito's picture

18-02-2013, 22:33

People tend to stick to what they know, Arkan Smile

By Lord_Zett

Paladin (807)

Lord_Zett's picture

18-02-2013, 22:42

Jorito wrote:

People tend to stick to what they know, Arkan Smile

Drugs?

By OeiOeiVogeltje

Paragon (1270)

OeiOeiVogeltje's picture

18-02-2013, 22:49

If is was so easy to vote ,with IRC link and everything
and people STILL didnt vote
There must have been some other reason..

By Arkhan

Champion (259)

Arkhan's picture

18-02-2013, 22:51

OeiOeiVogeltje wrote:

If is was so easy to vote ,with IRC link and everything
and people STILL didnt vote
There must have been some other reason..

Yes, and I think you know exactly what the reason is.

I already said it.

You're guilty of it.

In fact, you're the first person in the MSX scene whom I witnessed do it.

Quit trying to be vague and/or clever.

By ARTRAG

Enlighted (6181)

ARTRAG's picture

18-02-2013, 22:52

Arkhan wrote:

screaming and namecalling?

Outside of me typing in all-caps about random nonsense, I don't recall any screaming. Smile

mars and I recall. And for no reason.

For sure a nice presentation to the rest of the word...

By Arkhan

Champion (259)

Arkhan's picture

18-02-2013, 22:54

I've been in there for going on 4 years now? And I've not really witnessed anything that's out of line with what you see anywhere else...

also, I ended up there by disregarding OeiOei's advice, which was to not go to #msxdev. Wink

By OeiOeiVogeltje

Paragon (1270)

OeiOeiVogeltje's picture

18-02-2013, 23:04

I think i Exactly know what the reason is too.
And it has been proven now;
Nobody (except the one voter) WANTS to go #MSXdev for some reason.
This "easy" votingsystem has proven it...

By ARTRAG

Enlighted (6181)

ARTRAG's picture

18-02-2013, 23:08

humm, I've never seen someone among msxdev organizers giving names to anyone for whatever reason...

By Arkhan

Champion (259)

Arkhan's picture

18-02-2013, 23:08

OeiOeiVogeltje wrote:

I think i Exactly know what the reason is too.
And it has been proven now;
Nobody (except the one voter) WANTS to go #MSXdev for some reason.
This "easy" votingsystem has proven it...

Denying the truth doesn't make it any less true.

What's your reason for not going? Considering you sit in #msx on the same IRC server and tell people NOT to go to #msxdev. What is YOUR reason for not voting?

You guys expend more efforts going against things instead of just going with them for the greater good.

It's pretty pathetic, really. When did you plan on growing up?

By OeiOeiVogeltje

Paragon (1270)

OeiOeiVogeltje's picture

18-02-2013, 23:13

Why i dont go there?
Someone once said "Please DIE" to me there because i didnt agree with him one some pointless discussion

and about growing up....
There..

So now shut you trap please,thank you

By Arkhan

Champion (259)

Arkhan's picture

18-02-2013, 23:16

OeiOeiVogeltje wrote:

Why i dont go there?
Someone once said "Please DIE" to me there because i didnt agree with him one some pointless discussion

and about growing up....
There..

So now shut you trap please,thank you

So, you'll act fine and normal in person, in front of others and possibly on camera, but on the internet you choose to continue to act like a prick in regards to all of these things?

Yeah, that's TOTALLY growing up.

Maybe you're just too spineless to be this way in person and can only manage to do it within the confines of the internet.

By OeiOeiVogeltje

Paragon (1270)

OeiOeiVogeltje's picture

18-02-2013, 23:21

LOL
are you sure you are describing me??
me being a totally diferent person on the internet than in real life????
Serious??

anyway
im pretty sure i wont give you a hand....Even with camera's near

and now im done with this

ta tah

By Lord_Zett

Paladin (807)

Lord_Zett's picture

18-02-2013, 23:24

OeiOeiVogeltje wrote:

me being a totally diferent person on the internet than in real life????

yes on your avatar you got red hear... not seen that in real life

By ARTRAG

Enlighted (6181)

ARTRAG's picture

18-02-2013, 23:31

I cannot tell what OeiOeiVogeltje did, why, and how it has affected the #msxdev but the general attitude on MRC AFAIAC is totally the opposite to what you say.
I remember a parallel episode about me asking how to get weapons in a certain game...
Arkhan do you remember ?

By Arkhan

Champion (259)

Arkhan's picture

18-02-2013, 23:26

OeiOeiVogeltje wrote:

LOL
are you sure you are describing me??
me being a totally diferent person on the internet than in real life????
Serious??

I'd wager that this is the case. Much like most people who act like this on the internet, and then act all cordial in person as if they're a different person.

Quote:

anyway
im pretty sure i wont give you a hand....Even with camera's near

and now im done with this

ta tah

As usual. You have no valid rebuttal, so you leave. Now, I bet someone will come back you up and you will just come in, quote them, and then say "ja, ja".

Now, why is it that you didn't bother to vote, if you're such a great guy? Clearly you're more interested in your personal feelings as opposed to advancing a new competition. That is completely childish.

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

18-02-2013, 23:35

Quote:

many people just aren't into chatting and/or chatting on IRC

nobody was asked to come and chat, only to click a link and input their vote.

actually several more people did come and chat, but chose not to vote.

it would be nice if people here didn't perpetuate the same hateful FUD over and over again...
I understand that haters gonna hate, but I can't forgive the MRC admins that continue to post and keep in their archives the type of anti-GuyveR800 (and everything/everyone vaguely and less vaguely related) bullshit, that's causing complete strangers/newbies to have irrational hatred.

I point to ARTRAG as an example. He keeps complaining about being called names, but he never stopped to think maybe that's because he's always here complaining about GuyveR800-things, and playing along with the in-crowd that's so happily anti.

Perhaps GuyveR800 gets pissed off when people are being hateful about him when they never even met him...

Think about how THAT can happen...

You GuyveR800-bashers created this mess, and the admittedly nice "#msxdev Compo" banner is not going to help when everything newbies are reading is the same slanderous bullshit you've been posting and allowing to be posted and archived for all eternity on this site.

case in point: poster number two at http://www.msx.org/news/en/no-results-msxdev-compo-2012

By mars2000you

Enlighted (5470)

mars2000you's picture

18-02-2013, 23:35

Arkhan, when you've been insulted not one time but many times, there's a French proverb that has its full meaning and you don't care for the secondary effects :

La vengeance est un plat qui se mange froid

Also known in English :

Revenge is a dish best served cold

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

18-02-2013, 23:37

@mars2000you: I (and others) have explained KINDLY to you many times before, your actions are insulting MSX developers, including myself. So stop whining like a 5 year old and look at yourself.

By Arkhan

Champion (259)

Arkhan's picture

18-02-2013, 23:40

mars2000you wrote:

Arkhan, when you've been insulted not one time but many times, there's a French proverb that has its full meaning and you don't care for the secondary effects :

La vengeance est un plat qui se mange froid

Also known in English :

Revenge is a dish best served cold

Revenge is counterproductive in the world of a dying 30 year old computer with a collective community that is small enough to fit into a McDonalds.

By Jorito

Mr. Ambassadors (1761)

Jorito's picture

18-02-2013, 23:44

We're beating that old horse again? Don't you guys ever get tired of all this?
I'm tempted to lock the comments, so please be nice to each otherand don't flame so I don't have to.

Thank you.

By Arkhan

Champion (259)

Arkhan's picture

18-02-2013, 23:46

Jorito wrote:

We're beating that old horse again? Don't you guys ever get tired of all this?
I'm tempted to lock the comments, so please be nice to each otherand don't flame so I don't have to.

Thank you.

Well, there's possibly time left before the horse gets beaten to death, should people demonstrate that they actually care enough about the MSX to let things go . Cool

By ARTRAG

Enlighted (6181)

ARTRAG's picture

18-02-2013, 23:49

GuyveR800, MRC stores all posts, find my anti GR800 claims there and link them here. I think you will not find a single line of mine against your "nice" attitude toward the world before the #msxdev "issue".

Anyway, we have spoken on IIRC, and an in chat you seem less abnormal than in posts.
Probably you should avoid posting and chat only
;-)

Apart the bad presentation, I think that going on your IIRC to votes each entry was jut asking too much to the mrc users
Next time do a poll an you will see the voting will work much better

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

18-02-2013, 23:50

Arkhan wrote:

Well, there's possibly time left before the horse gets beaten to death, should people demonstrate that they actually care enough about the MSX to let things go

Amen to that, bro.

And let's now move on to more productive discussions again. I, for one, am curious what the outcome of this poll will be, and also how much votes will appear.

By Arkhan

Champion (259)

Arkhan's picture

18-02-2013, 23:50

ARTRAG wrote:

Apart the bad presentation , I think that going on your IIRC to votes each entry was jut asking too much to the mrc users
Next time do a poll an you will see the voting will work much better

you know people expended more effort posting comments on here than they would've to just click a link and type a vote?

or, for some people, to simply type /join #msxdev and cast a vote? considering some people here are already ON rizon and sitting in #msx...

not to mention, avoiding voting, followed by organizing a poll here is more effort as well...

By Lord_Zett

Paladin (807)

Lord_Zett's picture

18-02-2013, 23:57

so all are gona vote for PD?

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5386)

JohnHassink's picture

19-02-2013, 00:03

Arkhan wrote:

Revenge is counterproductive in the world of a dying 30 year old computer with a collective community that is small enough to fit into a McDonalds.

Heh heh! Nice one! Big smile

By ARTRAG

Enlighted (6181)

ARTRAG's picture

19-02-2013, 00:09

Lord_Zett wrote:

so all are gona vote for PD?

I agree, all this fuzz is spoiling the fun: sorry Zett, I voted for Inferno. Wink
PD seems a bit repetitive to me.
Inferno is technically more advanced and, as subject, a bit less exploited (even if animations aren't its strong point and you do not know what to do for quite a long time)

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5386)

JohnHassink's picture

19-02-2013, 00:11

Arkhan wrote:

not to mention, avoiding voting, followed by organizing a poll here is more effort as well...

Neh. Even writing the accompanying newspost about the poll itself is like 100x more effort than 'organizing' it. Wink

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

19-02-2013, 01:52

JohnHassink: have you considered the time that goes into putting up the website? Writing the guidelines, news and keeping an overview of the entries?
Stop being a dick by discrediting people's efforts in the MSX 'community'.

Though with the attitudes displayed here, I would hardly call this a community... Fuck... Gotta love the negativity in this scene.

Screw you guys, I'm going home.

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

19-02-2013, 02:20

@ FiXato
I'm sorry, but I have no clue what you're talking about...
Unless you think that by 'organizing' it, I meant the #msxdev'12.
I was talking about the poll here on MRC. Initializing a poll here doesn't take that much effort, yes?
Think/read twice before you allow to let the steam blow out of your ears, buddy. Wink

By FiXato

Scribe (1515)

FiXato's picture

19-02-2013, 02:19

Ah, okay. Yes, that was indeed what I thought you meant. My apologies.

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

19-02-2013, 02:22

I figured. Smile When I typed my first sentence, I honestly didn't know what you meant. Big smile BTW no offense taken, could have happened to anyone.

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

19-02-2013, 02:46

But, uuuhhh, one more thing I have to get off my chest: I'm not on MRC every day, true, but I can't say to have seen any comments here in the vein of "hey, pssst, absolutely don't go to that IRC channel to vote!" Wink
Not by visitors, members, and especially not from MRC crew. Some users may have a problem with other users, but I can state with dry eyes that the contest has been 100% officially supported here at MRC, and rightly so. Do I really have to explain this, seeing as no less than three members of the MRC crew actually joined it, and enthousiastically at that? That's what I'm talking about.

There is usually no censoring, removing, locking, banning here, so yes, people are able to vent their frustrations with certain people/organisations/groups freely. This has advantages as well as negative effects, but, and I speak on my own behalf - I wouldn't want it any other way.
But it's hard to keep everyone happy.

Lock topic       / remove comments     --> OMG MRC = censoring nazi scum!!!11
				           They do not want the truth to be heard!

Leave topic open / not remove comments --> OMG MRC = slandering nazi scum!!!11
				           Leaving the backbiting there on purpose!

So... what am I supposed to do then, as an admin/moderator/thing? And trying to maintain reasonable neutrality, because I really wish for everyone to get along? If, no matter what I do, it's always wrong, anyway? LOL!

Peace!

By syn

Paragon (1915)

syn's picture

19-02-2013, 02:47

john I think now its you who is misreading things Wink the "dont visit #msxdev" was something what happened years ago and is unrelated to the contest.

Anyway, next time plz vote people, cuz I wanna win his years pricemoney bwahhaha (insert evil laughter). On a serious note, I really hope this nice initiative/contest doesnt die because of personal conflicts. It would be really nice to see more games and demos. Last edition was imho a great start, lets put our differences asside and try get more/better stuff this time!

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

19-02-2013, 03:00

@ syn: Well, maybe I indeed misread, that's possible, but I thought to have seen some comments suggesting that people were discouraged on this site to vote on IRC. So, official announcement:
"We as MRC are not responsible for the individual behavior of our users. We are not The Borg." Big smile

And, you're right, syn - as I feel it's been off-topic long enough (and so have I):
I stick with my opinion about preferring a 'normal', official poll by #msxdev, so, on the site. Not IRC.
Besides that, I'm sure that the next edition may spawn an even greater quantity of cool productions as we've seen in this first issue!
As they say - every beginning is difficult. Smile

By syn

Paragon (1915)

syn's picture

19-02-2013, 02:58

Ppl may have FELT discouraged to vote I guess, for whatever reason,most were already mentioned.

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5386)

JohnHassink's picture

19-02-2013, 03:01

Yes. As harsh (but honest) as it may sound - just don't expect people to vote on IRC.

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

19-02-2013, 07:25

And I forgot to add - if the entries which this compo has already netted us is an indication of what is to come: please keep it up, guys! Big smile

By yzi

Champion (441)

yzi's picture

19-02-2013, 13:41

To vote you have to ...[insert name of technology that only few people know or use anymore] ... And then blame all of the audience, because this doesn't work? With all respect, this feels a bit like the thing in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, where the plans for bulldozing Earth could be read on a bulleting board on Sirius (or something).

I actually do use IRC, but only some very specific channels. For some reason, I have a very high barrier of joining new channels. Anyway, when I tell anyone about using IRC, they usually don't know what it is, or then they're like... WTF, IRC, you can't be serious, I guess you also hang around on Usenet newsgroups as well?

http://royal.pingdom.com/2012/04/24/irc-is-dead-long-live-irc/

By the way, the voting scheme might not be the only problem. It's generally very difficult to get people's attention on the internet, and there's any number of ways to fail. It's called communications, marketing and public relations, and some people just cannot do that stuff. ;)

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

19-02-2013, 13:57

No, you don't have to [insert name of technology that only few people know or use anymore]. You only had to click a link and input your vote in the text field. The process to log in to MRC is actually more complicated than that.

Next time we'll leave out the letters "IRC" and nobody would notice.

Happy FUD'ing, MRC'ers...

By yzi

Champion (441)

yzi's picture

19-02-2013, 14:56

I don't know about FUD, but apparently there's some kind of a problem in communication. Do you perhaps assume that people carefully read and think about all the text you put on a web page, and can usually correctly guess what kind of community and culture is the page's intended target audience and the group of people behind the message? False assumptions... I went to your page, saw the word IRC and I saw the web thing mentioned. I thought, this feels complicated, it's probably meant for a very special group who's really into this. Maybe I'll get back to it later when I have more time.

It's not a big deal, don't feel bad about it. You just failed in the single most difficult and complex thing in the world, communication.

By syn

Paragon (1915)

syn's picture

19-02-2013, 15:17

I dont think the voting procedure was too difficult/hard/strange.

The news post on the compo site clearly said, "•The results of the judges are in! After reading their reports, you can tell us your list of top winners. Just visit #msxdev IRC by clicking this link, voting is open until the end of the month."

Click the link, enter name, click connect, say "hi i want to vote 1) barebone bullets, 2) pd, 3) inferno etcetcetc" and then leave or stick around whatever you wanted. can be done in less than 30 seconds. Logging in on MRC to vote would take about the same amount of time. More if you didnt had an account here.

Getting openmsx or a real msx for that matter to work takes more more skill/knowledge/time......

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

19-02-2013, 15:25

yzi wrote:

I went to your page, saw the word IRC and I saw the web thing mentioned. I thought, this feels complicated, it's probably meant for a very special group who's really into this.

That's why I said next time we'll just not mention the letters "IRC".
A lot of chats on the WWW are secretly (based on) IRC and oftentimes you can connect to them with a IRC client if you figure that out. The ignorant just use it without knowing, while at the same time being all "IRC SOUNDS SCARY"...

ignorance is bliss

By OeiOeiVogeltje

Paragon (1270)

OeiOeiVogeltje's picture

19-02-2013, 15:31

Arkhan wrote:

I'd wager that this is the case. Much like most people who act like this on the internet, and then act all cordial in person as if they're a different person

People who actually know me will most probably say there is not much difference between me in real life and on the internet.
And you dont know me ,so just SHHHT

Quote:

anyway
im pretty sure i wont give you a hand....Even with camera's near

and now im done with this

ta tah

Arkhan wrote:

As usual. You have no valid rebuttal, so you leave. Now, I bet someone will come back you up and you will just come in, quote them, and then say "ja, ja".

Now, why is it that you didn't bother to vote, if you're such a great guy? Clearly you're more interested in your personal feelings as opposed to advancing a new competition. That is completely childish.

Some people have to go to bed on time because they have to work the next day
So although it was very amusing to see you play the "He Told Me Not To Go To #Msxdev" record again i had better things to do.
and why i "didnt bother" to vote.. i thought i had already explained that in full in previous replies and has nothing to do with me being such a great guy ,did you read them?
i did vote for Pixie Dust BTW on this MRC poll

Ta Tah

By yzi

Champion (441)

yzi's picture

19-02-2013, 15:32

To be honest, I didn't really understand the whole thing with judges' results being ready. Only after reading this post and the comments I got some clue. It's not that I was even interested before. I got interested in thd whole msxdev thingy only now, after seeing that the '13 edition targets 16k+16k+MSX1, which seemed small and simple enough, and so I started to make a game. (I only have memory allocation and data structure plans in Excel, and a few sprites on the screen so far)

If I had been super interested, I would probably have learned all this sooner.

By yzi

Champion (441)

yzi's picture

19-02-2013, 15:39

Guyver800: someone might consider you ignorant for not taking into account very basic facts about human behaviour. It's like not admitting that gravity exists and then complaining when your stuff doesn't float in the air.

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

19-02-2013, 15:50

#msxdev Compo 2013 is not MSXdev'13... oO
The names may be confusing, but #msxdev was there first. (And it's doing great, visitor-wise)

And speaking of failing communication, I wasn't calling you (yzi) ignorant, which you seem to be thinking...

By yzi

Champion (441)

yzi's picture

19-02-2013, 15:50

Huh? I'm more confused than ever. Like I said, I wasn't interested in these development contests at all before. Wink I have to really figure out all these communities that there are in the MSX universe. Up until last year I was pretty much only interested in demo coding.

By syn

Paragon (1915)

syn's picture

19-02-2013, 16:06

Since 2002 there was a chatchannel on IRC called #msxdev

Then some ppl started a msx 1 GAMES contest called MSXdev (the MSXdev'12, MSXdev'11 etc etc), the one you (yzi) are referring to.

Last year saw the first edition of #msxdev Compo (what this newspost/poll is all about), a basically a free for all msx competition, the official competition of the IRC chatchannel (therefore voting takes place there).

To make stuff more complicated/confusing, http://msxdev.msxblue.com/ (originally home of the msxdev 'xx contest), which just reports every single game released/announced in a msx related contest on their website.

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

19-02-2013, 16:16

syn wrote:

To make stuff more complicated/confusing, http://msxdev.msxblue.com/ (originally home of the MSXdev'xx contest), which just reports every single game released/announced in a msx related contest on their website.

Yes the existance of that site is quite annoying to both the original MSXdev'xx contest organization (Karoshi Corp), and the #msxdev Compo organization (which BTW is #msxdev, and not GuyveR800). Perhaps even more so to #msxdev Compo, because the site ignores half of the competitors in that competition.

By mars2000you

Enlighted (5470)

mars2000you's picture

19-02-2013, 16:22

GuyveR800 wrote:
syn wrote:

To make stuff more complicated/confusing, http://msxdev.msxblue.com/ (originally home of the MSXdev'xx contest), which just reports every single game released/announced in a msx related contest on their website.

Yes the existance of that site quite annoying to both the original MSXdev'xx contest organization (Karoshi Corp), and the #msxdev Compo organization (which BTW is #msxdev, and not GuyveR800). Perhaps even more so to #msxdev Compo, because the site ignores half of the competitors in that competition.

Just lies :
- not any problem with Karoshi, as I may make available the roms of an edition of msxdev' contest when this edition is over (that's an agreement that I have with Karoshi that considers http://msxdev.msxblue.com/ as an archive site for msxdev' games)
- I've presented all the games of other contests, what means 5 of the 7 #msxdev Compo 2012 entries, and added 2 links to my main site http://www.msxblue.com/ with extended reviews of the 2 other entries that are demos :

http://www.msxblue.com/?page_id=8261

http://www.msxblue.com/?page_id=8275

By Arkhan

Champion (259)

Arkhan's picture

19-02-2013, 16:26

OeiOeiVogeltje wrote:

People who actually know me will most probably say there is not much difference between me in real life and on the internet.

That's not what I've heard.

Quote:

Some people have to go to bed on time because they have to work the next day

Oh, right. My bad. I forget you guys are overseas. I go to bed for work when you guys are getting up, probably. I thought you were just doing your usual hit n' run tactic.

Quote:

So although it was very amusing to see you play the "He Told Me Not To Go To #Msxdev" record again i had better things to do.

Yeah. Well, you'll never be able to wipe your hands clean of that blunder.

Quote:

and why i "didnt bother" to vote.. i thought i had already explained that in full in previous replies and has nothing to do with me being such a great guy ,did you read them?

Yeah, you said someone in #msxdev told you to please die, so you let your personal opinion get in the way of voting and giving people proper credit for their efforts in a contest. I got that. You acted selfishly.

Quote:

i did vote for Pixie Dust BTW on this MRC poll

It's too bad you didn't vote in the ACTUAL poll, so someone could have actually won, and been awarded a prize for their efforts.

again, when people (not just you) do these things, the only people it ends up hurting are the people who are trying to keep the MSX scene going. It's counterproductive. Learn to put your stupid personal BS aside and focus on the actual point.

Quote:

Ta Tah

stop stuttering.

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

19-02-2013, 16:27

@mars2000you:
No lies, various members of the original MSXdev'xx organization expressed their annoyance about your site.

You live in a fantasy world of your own, where you think you are providing a service to MSX users while in reality you are really just annoying MSX developers and MSX organizers alike. These are the people that make MSX happen...

And then you complain about being insulted when people get angry with you...

By OeiOeiVogeltje

Paragon (1270)

OeiOeiVogeltje's picture

19-02-2013, 16:36

what blunder?

By FiXato

Scribe (1515)

FiXato's picture

19-02-2013, 16:41

So, Inferno is in the lead, followed by Pixiedust and even Barebone Bullets!
Interesting results so far!

I voted for Pixiedust myself as it felt the most complete, and because it is a nice casual game; something the MSX could use more of. Mind to zero and fly through the woods Big smile

By FiXato

Scribe (1515)

FiXato's picture

19-02-2013, 16:41

What did you guys vote for and why?

By OeiOeiVogeltje

Paragon (1270)

OeiOeiVogeltje's picture

19-02-2013, 16:43

Pixie Dust for exactly the same reaon you just said
Inferno looked good in the beginning but failed to deliver

By mars2000you

Enlighted (5470)

mars2000you's picture

19-02-2013, 16:43

I've voted for Inferno.

Why ? http://www.msxblue.com/?page_id=8468

By Arkhan

Champion (259)

Arkhan's picture

19-02-2013, 16:53

OeiOeiVogeltje wrote:

what blunder?

The one where you and your buddies in #msx told me not to go to #msxdev when I was still very new to the scene.

It's a good thing I tend to ignore advice like that and prefer to see it for myself, because you all couldn't have been more wrong about #msxdev.

Cool

By OeiOeiVogeltje

Paragon (1270)

OeiOeiVogeltje's picture

19-02-2013, 16:55

you call that a blunder??

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

19-02-2013, 17:08

Guys.. take the discussion elsewhere please. Go snuggle up to each other in the room of people that #care on IRC...

By Jorito

Mr. Ambassadors (1761)

Jorito's picture

19-02-2013, 17:20

What Fixato says indeed. Please get back on topic (the entries to the #msxdev'12 compo) or we'll have to lock the comments. Consider it a final warning.

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

19-02-2013, 17:25

Could you write the name of the competition correctly, Jorito? People are getting confused.

By hbarcellos

Hero (559)

hbarcellos's picture

19-02-2013, 19:20

I'll vote for the game in which Artrag, JHassink and/or Viejo_Archivero had any kind of participation.

Quote:

Whoever guesses something of the consequences of any deep suspicion, something of the chills and fears stemming from isolation, to which every man burdened with an unconditional difference of viewpoint is condemned, this person will understand how often I tried to take shelter somewhere, to recover from myself, as if to forget myself entirely for a time (in some sortof reverence, or enmity, or scholarliness, or frivolity, or stupidity); and he will also understand why, when I could not find what I needed, I had to gain it by force artificially, to counterfeit it, or create it poetically.(And what have poets ever done otherwise? And why else do we have all the art in the world?)

By mars2000you

Enlighted (5470)

mars2000you's picture

19-02-2013, 19:46

hbarcellos wrote:

I'll vote for the game in which Artrag, JHassink and/or Viejo_Archivero had any kind of participation.

Quote:

Whoever guesses something of the consequences of any deep suspicion, something of the chills and fears stemming from isolation, to which every man burdened with an unconditional difference of viewpoint is condemned, this person will understand how often I tried to take shelter somewhere, to recover from myself, as if to forget myself entirely for a time (in some sortof reverence, or enmity, or scholarliness, or frivolity, or stupidity); and he will also understand why, when I could not find what I needed, I had to gain it by force artificially, to counterfeit it, or create it poetically.(And what have poets ever done otherwise? And why else do we have all the art in the world?)

Very nice quote, it's adapted to this strange dialogue of the deaf Wink

For your preferred game, although I've voted for Inferno, you need to vote for Pixiedust because John Hassink has made the music, check the source : http://www.infinitemsx.com/files/pd-src.zip

By Arkhan

Champion (259)

Arkhan's picture

19-02-2013, 21:08

Wouldn't it make more sense to try all of the entries and vote based off of merit, as opposed to "someone I like worked on it"?

not saying the music in PD isn't good, because it's pretty awesome.

By Lord_Zett

Paladin (807)

Lord_Zett's picture

19-02-2013, 21:09

PD is awesome

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

19-02-2013, 22:40

Here too, wolfy boy.

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9758)

wolf_'s picture

19-02-2013, 23:13

*peep*

By Lord_Zett

Paladin (807)

Lord_Zett's picture

19-02-2013, 23:40

no wolf its beep u no basic?

By poke-1,170

Paragon (1747)

poke-1,170's picture

20-02-2013, 01:38

Lord_Zett wrote:

no wolf its beep u no basic?

By hbarcellos

Hero (559)

hbarcellos's picture

20-02-2013, 03:21

Quote:

For your preferred game, although I've voted for Inferno, you need to vote for Pixiedust because John Hassink has made the music, check the source : http://www.infinitemsx.com/files/pd-src.zip

Thanks as usual mars. Just voted for Pixiedust.
Go for it John!!!!

By Lord_Zett

Paladin (807)

Lord_Zett's picture

20-02-2013, 15:21

poke-1,170 wrote:
Lord_Zett wrote:

no wolf its beep u no basic?

nice sound clip needs more nice woman in it to make it more populair.

:D

By LDH

Supporter (8)

LDH's picture

20-02-2013, 16:12

maybe you can now give the winner of this poll his/her prize