MSX Resource Center - Statistics update

by snout on 24-08-2006, 16:15
Topic: MRC

Today a few minor improvements were made to the MSX Resoure Center, including the addition of the highly anticipated 'edit reaction' feature and some minor tweaks and optimizations. Another section that got changed is the 'user activity' top 25 on our stats page. In order to encourage you a bit more to get a discussion started, those who post the first reaction to a newspost and those who start a new thread on the MRC forum receive double the points they usually would. The user activity scores are awarded as follows:

• 6 points for submitting a news post
  • 4 points for starting a topic on our forum
  • 2 points for each forum post
  • 2 points for posting the first reaction to a newspost, article or photo
  • 1 point for each reaction

As you probably know, we have the tradition of mentioning our most active users of the past year on new years day. This active user award will also be calculated according to this scoreset. As an added bonus, we will reward the most active user of the year with a nice prize, starting with an MSX T-Shirt. Naturally MRC team members are excluded from this competition and even more naturally, bogus 'first post' reactions are to be deleted.

The overall statistics have been regenerated completely so all old submitted newsposts and firstposts have been rewarded with this new scoreset as well. Curious if you're in the overall top 25 now? Have a look over here!

Relevant link: MSX Resource Center - statistics

By ro

ro's picture

24-08-2006, 16:19

yes, very nice to finally edit reactions.

so euh, I got double points with this one eh, cool. (is it?)

By snout

snout's picture

24-08-2006, 16:32

You did! You're now a tiny little step closer to getting that T-Shirt this year! Smile

By Huey

Huey's picture

24-08-2006, 16:33

Nice to see that Gyver8000 is still very active on these forums Tongue

Do I get a -1 point for saying that the stats are not representative?

By snout

snout's picture

24-08-2006, 16:38

You get away with it just this once, Huey! Tongue nah, I sincerely hope I'll ever have to add a +/- user-modding system. and.. well.. the stats on the stats page are overall stats. There's no point in denying that GuyveR800 has been tremendously active on the MRC for quite a while, is there?

By BiFi

BiFi's picture

24-08-2006, 16:44

In order to encourage you a bit more to get a discussion started, those who ...
except for me I assume? Smile

By AuroraMSX

Paragon (1901)

AuroraMSX's picture

24-08-2006, 16:45

Nice to see that Gyver8000 is still very active on these forums
It's actually a "post! Post! POST! You lamers!" incentive to all current users Tongue

[edit] (And !YAY! for editing reactions) [/edit] Big smile

By Huey

Huey's picture

24-08-2006, 16:47

I know it's hard to make a true activity logging Wink I just wouldn't call it 'user activity' but 'top posters' or something like that.
It's just that I would be lynched if I did this at work. AND maybe because I'm not in the list Eek!

By poke-1,170

poke-1,170's picture

24-08-2006, 16:48

{mod poke} so that is how you can gain more ... {in 1 post a word}

{dude! that's exactly -not- the point of all this}

By mars2000you

mars2000you's picture

24-08-2006, 16:49

A question : what happens when some news are submitted by one person but don't come 'directly' (I mean in a reasonable delay) on the front page, but only more later with indication that the news have been submitted by another person ? For example, it was the case for the announcement of the 4 first participations to MSXdev'06.

Btw, thanks for the edit feature ! Smile

By mars2000you

mars2000you's picture

24-08-2006, 16:50

poke, it's cheating ... and you should have negative points Tongue

By BiFi

BiFi's picture

24-08-2006, 16:53

up next: the download database with reactions (and link download stats to the username of the their creators)?

By Huey

Huey's picture

24-08-2006, 16:53

me/ Off to look for all newspost that don't have comments...........Evil

By snout

snout's picture

24-08-2006, 16:53

Huey: Hmz.. yeah... but what's in a name, eh? 'Hot news' and 'Hot discussions' are related to time though. (yay!)

mars2000you: we always try and handle submitted news first, but we're only humans @ the MRC...

By snout

snout's picture

24-08-2006, 16:54

BiFi - good idea! I think I'll add reactions to the downloads database. And I think a public downloads-counter per title wouldn't harm either...

got to go to work now, though...

By BiFi

BiFi's picture

24-08-2006, 16:54

By poke-1,170

poke-1,170's picture

24-08-2006, 16:57

nah that was more of a "okay it's very funny and point taken but let's never do it again" trick bifi Big smile

By Huey

Huey's picture

24-08-2006, 17:00

Quote:
unfortunately, giving points to certain actions do encourage people to do such things poke just did. :/[/qoute]
That will only say something about those persons...............

Like getting points is important. It won't get them any respect. Helping other user will. Too bad you can't log good deeds.

@poke: Surely i'm not talking about you Tongue

By poke-1,170

poke-1,170's picture

24-08-2006, 17:10

my good deed of today was getting a new contact lense...

I suddenly realized I had been on an msx forum for some time...

By ARTRAG

ARTRAG's picture

24-08-2006, 17:21

I just gained 6-8 pionts with dummy ansers to all the 0 reply news on the homepage....
I was just thinking that it is pointless to give points for any answer, but on the other side
it is impossible to get a judge to evaluate each statement...

So, IMHO there is no solution, any open forum can be affected by spammers by the fact itself that it is open.

Actually, forums are supevised by the moderator, prolly it is better to restrict the score system to forums.

By poke-1,170

poke-1,170's picture

24-08-2006, 17:25

heh yeah if you would give points to that I wouldn't even be in the list Smile
I only supply dumb info...if it's even info anyway

By ARTRAG

ARTRAG's picture

24-08-2006, 17:27

@Huey
do not worrry, you can speak of me Smile

By Huey

Huey's picture

24-08-2006, 19:31

@ARTRAG: I wouldn't dare. (Well not until the project is finished Wink)

By Unicorn

Master (138)

Unicorn's picture

25-08-2006, 20:27

Point taken at point blank! So what's the point? It's pointless (or pointmore) fun! Tongue

By yakumo

Expert (75)

yakumo's picture

27-08-2006, 16:55

I have a point!!! I have a point!!! LOL!

Err... Eek!. Ok, it was just to make some fun...(or not) Tongue

By snout

snout's picture

27-08-2006, 19:43

BiFi - there you go! Download counter + reactions to downloads. Thanks for the suggestion!

By BiFi

BiFi's picture

27-08-2006, 21:10

cool... just to keep you active Wink

How about adding an option for the downloads you want to track on a single page... like 'My statistics'? Smile

By [D-Tail]

[D-Tail]'s picture

28-08-2006, 23:59

Cool tho, that First Reaction bonus thing. But technically, wouldn't the user 'Google' get those points? Wink

Plus, what's the score for translating a newspost? Tongue

// Oh, sure, that's not a 'user statistic'... that's a 'translator statistic' Sad

By mars2000you

mars2000you's picture

29-08-2006, 01:31

Google is not an user, but an add-on Tongue