MRC Airwaves Challenge - Closed

by snout on 04-03-2005, 01:33
Topic: MRC
Tags: Challenges

On January 26th we started a brand new MRC music composing challenge: the Airwaves challenge. The challenge resulted in 7 different songs, all with a common theme: modern music. Although this theme is subject to many different interpretations, the results speak for themselves. So here is, as usual, an overview of all the entries we received.

1. A winter's tale (mp3)
    Created by: Meits
    Soundchips: MSX-AUDIO + MSX-MUSIC
  2. Magical boxes (mp3)
    Created by: Alfonso D.C.
    Soundchips: PSG
  3. Cuando te miro (mp3)
    Created by: SPL
    Soundchips: MSX-MUSIC
  4. New generation of mighty monkey (mp3)
    Created by: DRM
    Soundchips: PSG, MSX-MUSIC, SCC
  5. Airwaves (mp3 track 1 - mp3 track 2)
    Created by: Joyrex
    Soundchips: MSX-MUSIC
  6. Mist (mp3)
    Created by: Inexpensive
    Soundchips: PSG
  7. Wings (mp3)
    Created by: Infinite
    Soundchips: Moonsound

The main juror of the Airwaves Challenge, poke -1,170 is now going to have a good listen to all tracks. We will get back to you as soon as he has reached a verdict!

By snout

snout's picture

04-03-2005, 02:03

SO, before the jury have reached their verdict... use your chance to give -yours-. What do you think of the songs? What is your top 7?

By BiFi

BiFi's picture

04-03-2005, 08:08

hmm, no-one dared to try SCC only? :\

pity, it's such a nice sound chip.

By NYYRIKKI

NYYRIKKI's picture

04-03-2005, 10:22

A vinters tale is MSX-Music + MSX-Audio, not MoonSound...

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9892)

wolf_'s picture

04-03-2005, 10:52

..and, if I may, the left side is a bit louder than the right side Smile

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (116)

anonymous's picture

04-03-2005, 14:04

As far as I´m concerned this proves once again that nothing beats a /good/ PSG song... I think Magical Boxes should be the winner.

By hap

Paragon (2038)

hap's picture

04-03-2005, 15:06

my top 7 only goes up to 2 Tongue

1: New generation of mighty monkey
2: Wings

By Meits

Meits's picture

04-03-2005, 16:50

My tune should be played at 50Hz... This mp3 goes waaaay too fast...

By poke-1,170

poke-1,170's picture

04-03-2005, 19:46

in progress...even at 6 am when I started listening I was awake enough to hear it was 60 hertz Smile

By poke-1,170

poke-1,170's picture

04-03-2005, 19:47

yeah,and no one made a track with the motor on/off command either Wink

By BiFi

BiFi's picture

05-03-2005, 08:47

Not the 'Vader Jacob' on diskdrive joke again Smile

By Meits

Meits's picture

05-03-2005, 12:05

Disturbing to find out that the WRONG speed version hasn't been replaced yet.

Find a proper recording here: http://www.xs4all.nl/~jelle77/Meits%20_%20A%20Winters%20Tale.mp3

Sigh... Is this misfortune in music @ MRC gonna haunt me forever?

By poke-1,170

poke-1,170's picture

05-03-2005, 14:59

The people vs. Friesland Wink

I got the right mp3 though (for some reason that was the one on the site in the beginning...right?)

By snout

snout's picture

05-03-2005, 15:32

Meits, please, you're overreacting. How many times do I have to repeat that MSX is a hobby and that the MRC is a hobby website? We (the MRC team) all have jobs, some go to college and yes.. we even have private lives. There's only so-much we can do a day and yesterday recording a new mp3 wasn't one of them. I think 'disturbing' is quite a strong term to use in this situation.

What's with all the negativism these days... :/

You can rest easy now, though, the mp3 on the MRC has been replaced with a newly recorded one. 50hz. Cheers!

By Meits

Meits's picture

05-03-2005, 17:40

Well, I was annoyed since all my musical efforts since ND came back to the scene went wrong in every possible way. Disturbed is harsh indeed, sorry for that. Make it 'unhappily surprised', cuz I'm pretty sure I mentioned here and there that the tune was written on 50Hz. It's just a cumulation of disappointments which made my reaction sound little overreacted, but at the time I reacted I was far from happy

Seeing all efforts since a re-entrance in a scene go wrong is not really a nice thing to overcome. Cuz first it's the emulator who sounds way different than a real MSX, so I grabbed a real MSX and yet again stuff goes wrong.

I'm really happy that the tune is the way it supposed to be now, cuz it's my first tune since 1997 which sounds like it should sound Smile

By Meits

Meits's picture

05-03-2005, 17:48

Sidenote... @ MRC just goes for both challenge tunes I submitted.
My x-mas tune sounded horrible in the mp3 MRC made. It wasn't meant to sound that way (comparing with the mp3 I made myself, there was a difference of black and white). And that's not MRC to blame (or maybe, cuz a selfmade mp3 was no option).

By snout

snout's picture

05-03-2005, 17:48

Thx Meits, lets RNFF Smile

By poke-1,170

poke-1,170's picture

06-03-2005, 02:36

question to you meits, who composed the tracks on ND 1?
2 has credits for each track,can't find them in 1 though....
could u help me out?

By Meits

Meits's picture

06-03-2005, 11:53

iirc there's a txt file on the disk which contains the credits...

By poke-1,170

poke-1,170's picture

06-03-2005, 15:56

hmmmm.....okayyyyyy... listened to it in bluemsx...should open the textfile then

By Meits

Meits's picture

06-03-2005, 16:50

If it doesn't work for you, the way it should be done, check here for the txtfile:

By poke-1,170

poke-1,170's picture

06-03-2005, 16:58

aaaah thanx Smile working my way through the msx demo legacy !!! shitloads of work hahaha !