1st Under Water Challenge entry: Dopefish

by Haohmaru on 02-05-2004, 22:31
Topic: MRC
Tags: Challenges

Sjoerd Lammertsma of The Darkness God of Destroy sent us the very first entry for the MRC Under Water Challenge. This small demo for MSX2 and Moonsound shows Dopefish, accompanied by a Moonsound song.

If you would like to join the Under Water Challenge, you can win one of the nice prizes we have listed in this newspost. Keep in mind that you can send in your submission(s) until May 15th, 23:59 CET.

Relevant link: Dopefish

By BiFi

BiFi's picture

03-05-2004, 08:11

Ehrm... first it was May 15th, now it's May 14th?

By Bart

Bart's picture

03-05-2004, 19:18

Thanks for noticing Smile Fixed it!

By DarQ

DarQ's picture

04-05-2004, 11:18

just a sidenote: looks to me there is not much animo for this challenge. btw: i really wouldnt know what to make for this challenge...

By BiFi

BiFi's picture

04-05-2004, 11:55

Maybe there are many people working on an entry. It isn't a problem to 'release' them in the last few minutes. That way they can make an impressive, funny or even a complete demo for an entry. It's all up to them.

By Ivan

Ivan's picture

04-05-2004, 12:27

If there's only one entry the contestant will win all prizes Wink

By Haohmaru

Haohmaru's picture

05-05-2004, 01:15

How long has it been since the announcement of this competition? The Snowfall Challenge succeeded in racking up a shitload of entries in a short while (okay, some of them were last minute).

Look at all those cool prizes? Sureley there are more people eager to have a go at winning them?

BodyHammeR

'swim, swim, hungry' Wink

By pitpan

pitpan's picture

05-05-2004, 14:10

All I can say is that PRIZES do not seem to be important: MSXdev'03 had lots of prizes and there were not many contestants. MSXdev'04 has more contestants, but the prizes (except the conditional Turbo-R ST) are more or less the same.

I have the feeling that the MSX1 programmers that entered to the Snowfall Challenge were a bit deceived for the judgement methods. Of course that you cannot neither compare nor compete against a full-blown Turbo-R GT with Moonsound and GFX9000.

Due to this "unclear" judgement system, MSX1 productions were in the lowest positions and I seriously doubt that they will participate again in such a challenge. I hope that the facts will prove me wrong, this is just what I feel. MSX1 demos coded in assembler were not prefered to MSX2 programs coded even in BASIC.

Good luck for the Under Water Challenge and the MRC. I do support any initiative about programming MSX systems. Unluckily, I am very busy at the moment with my own projects for MSXdev'04 and so I cannot join. What a pity!

Regards,

Ed Robsy

By snout

snout's picture

05-05-2004, 14:55

The MRC decided to ask Wammes Witkop to be the juror of the Snowfall Challenge. Several members of the MRC team did cast their votes as well. Wammes was free to judge every submission in any way he liked to, although we did notify him about the system requirements of each submission, the date it was received and we did let him know we felt those things should be counted in the voting as well. However, we also felt that Wammes, with his massive history as true MSX Guru and organizer of several programming contests, was free to judge the submissions in any way he liked.

The MRC challenges are not about 'who is the best', but about showing the world how cool and easy it is to create something (software, music, graphics) for MSX, even in the 21st century. The key issue of the challenges (and the entire MRC, for that matter) is: FUN!. The prizes are just there to add some extra encouragement.

By pitpan

pitpan's picture

05-05-2004, 20:52

I know all this, but what I said in my previous post is just an impression. I haven't spoken with them, but I am afraid that neither WYZ nor Alonso DC won't enter this time. Perhaps they are busy with other MSX developments...

Also, I should say that I prefer a game much more than a demo. A demo is not playable!

By snout

snout's picture

05-05-2004, 21:30

As long as they are working on MSX developments I'm happy Wink Demo's still entertain me quite a lot, but indeed... a game is tha bomb Wink

By BiFi

BiFi's picture

05-05-2004, 21:41

Tha bomb? At this moment with all the news about non-MSX related wars? Kinda tricky to include such a statement Wink

By snout

snout's picture

05-05-2004, 22:35

/me throws a little bomb at BiFi. (Bombaman multiplayer, of course)

By Haohmaru

Haohmaru's picture

05-05-2004, 23:44

'PRIZES are not that important'

I agree, I made DopeFish for FUN. After I put it online at The Darkness God Of Destroy I got an e-mail from one of the MRC folks (sorry, cannot recall your name Wink) telling me it would be nice if I submitted DopeFish as an entry for the MRC Underwater Challenge. SO I did.

I had a lot of fun putting DopeFish together and if I win anything that would be great, but competitions like these (or like the ones held at computer paries like Error In Line, Fired Bits, etc.) are not merely to decide who is the best, but to show off the capabilities of your machine and having fun while doing so.

Enjoy your computers while they last,

BodyHammeR