17th entry to the MRC Snowfall Challenge by Sjoerd Mastijn

by Latok on 05-01-2004, 14:26
Topic: MRC
Tags: Challenges

Yes, here it is! Secretly, we were already hoping for it and Sjoerd Mastijn did it. His 2nd and the overall 17th entry to the MRC Snowfall Challenge is a true BASIC ONELINER.

The MRC snowfall challenge closes tonight at 23:59 CET. If you are still working on your entry, please hurry up! If you send us your entry to snowfall@msx.org before tonight, you can win nice prizes! Have a look at all other entries right here. Check this newsposting for more information.

What do you say? You're missing a Download entry for this 17th entry? No way! In the true 'Kort&Krachtig' oneliner tradition, you will have to type this entry completely by yourself. Here it is:

• 1 ' Sneeuw door Sjoerd
  • 2 COLOR,4,4:DEFINTA-Z:SCREEN5:VDP(9)=VDP(9)OR2:DIMS(15):FOR I=0TO15:READS(I):NEXT:COPY(0,0)-(255,44)TO(0,212):FOR I=0TO0STEP0:VDP(24)=Y:VPOKE Y*128+RND(1)*128,15:VDP(19)=S(S):S=(S-(YMOD4=0))AND15:Y= (Y-1)AND255:NEXT:DATA0,2,4,6,7,6,4,2,0,14,12,10,9,10,12,14:

There are some spaces in the listing, just to make it perfectly visible on most internetbrowsers. Please remove the spaces when you're typing the listing. And no worries, of course this entry will eventually be added to the Downloads database.

By Grauw

Grauw's picture

05-01-2004, 14:52

Okay, this messes up the MRC layout bigtime Smile. At least in Mozilla Firebird it does... So if you could put a few spaces in that oneliner... thanks ^_^.

By jalu

Master (158)

jalu's picture

05-01-2004, 14:57

It also look like sh*t in regular Mozilla 1.5 now. A few hard returns wouldn't hurt indeed. Not all of us have 17"widescreen TFT displays, and I doubt even such a screen is wide enough... >Smile

By Bart

Bart's picture

05-01-2004, 15:01

dunno if Latok editted it yet.. but in IE 6 and 800x600 resolution it looks just fine. The code is displayed on 3 lines overhere.

By Grauw

Grauw's picture

05-01-2004, 15:46

I know, I filed a bug report for Mozilla about it. Although I don't know if it can be considered as such. Anyways, the problem is the Mozilla only breaks lines on whitespaces, while Internet Explorer resorts to :, (, -, etc. if there are no spaces present.

Still, it looks like shit :).

~Grauw

By Grauw

Grauw's picture

05-01-2004, 15:48

p.s. why don't URL's show up bold in the reactions just like they do in newsposts or forum posts? I don't see why you shouldn't use the same style sheet for all those.

~Grauw

By ro

ro's picture

05-01-2004, 15:54

lez face it: mozilla sux just bigtime... Why is it always them Mozilla users I hear complaining about wrong formatted texts etc.. nuff said.

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9950)

wolf_'s picture

05-01-2004, 15:56

looks good on my 17" tft Smile

By Grauw

Grauw's picture

05-01-2004, 16:04

Er... I'd rather put it the other way 'round. First off, it is a browser still in development, which can't be said about Internet Explorer (grrr...). Because of that it supports much more features for HTML / CSS coders, and also new standards. Internet Explorer has a lot of bugs and as development on it stopped (except for security fixes) there is little chance they will ever be fixed, let alone that any new features will be added.

However, there are also some (very few) quirks in Mozilla sometimes. Some are just bugs, others are nonstandard behaviour of Internet Explorer, which have become commonly used on pages because of ignorance.

Anyways, I quite recently switched from Internet Explorer to Mozilla Firebird because it is becoming a very good browser now, with lots of useful features, not the least of them tabbed browsing (very useful!), and it is very fast and doesn't come with crappy skins but instead just the regular 'Windows' look. Also, the page rendering is almost perfect now. It has two modes (just like IE6 has them), the 'Quirks' mode and the 'Standards Compliance' mode. In the first it emulates the bugs in IE versions 5.5 and below, in the latter it keeps to the standard as much as possible (msx.org by the way renders in Quirks mode...).

So... If Mozilla does anything, suxing is the least of them all!! Mozilla r00lz!

It's the pages that suck ;p.

~Grauw

By ro

ro's picture

05-01-2004, 16:12

sure, it's ALL them pages not showing correct format that are sucking.. uhu.
(I know I'm kinda starting a non-topic riot here but huh, I'm in for a little bit of knuckle busting today haha)

By Grauw

Grauw's picture

05-01-2004, 16:17

Yep, that's the case. I think like, 95% of all pages are not conforming to the w3c.org standards. Maybe more. Ouch!

Ahwell...

~Grauw

By Latok

msx guru (3866)

Latok's picture

05-01-2004, 16:18

Snif, and it is such a nice oneliner...

By Grauw

Grauw's picture

05-01-2004, 16:21

In this case I think it's Mozilla's fault, btw Smile.

By Grauw

Grauw's picture

05-01-2004, 16:28

And FYI, only very occasionally I encounter a page not rendered properly in Mozilla Firebird, so it's a bit rash to speak of 'ALL'... There are not so many...

By BiFi

BiFi's picture

05-01-2004, 17:10

Back to the entry itself... Why didn't I think of this? Wink To asm minded lately?

By mars2000you

mars2000you's picture

05-01-2004, 17:30

No need to type this listing .... Copy and paste it in a new .txt file under Windows : you have directly a MSX-BASIC file saved in ASCII mode (you must only rename it "autoexec.bas") ... One more proof of the great compatibility between MSX and Microsoft !

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (116)

anonymous's picture

05-01-2004, 18:22

The Explorer fans just don't like paying attention when it comes to standards. They like to HACK things to get them to work!

Seriously, I'd be pretty pissed of Mozilla started breaking off words or sentences that weren't MEANT to be broken up.

IMO this is not a bug in Mozilla. Normally you'd place things like this in a textbox with scrollbars.

By Latok

msx guru (3866)

Latok's picture

05-01-2004, 18:35

Added some spaces. Hopefully, that will do.

By Ivan

Ivan's picture

05-01-2004, 18:40

Much better. I also "broke" the line for the translation in the Spanish MRC.

By Grauw

Grauw's picture

05-01-2004, 18:56

Yes, much better indeed Smile. It seems to be a known bug in Mozilla, btw (doesn't surprise me, although I couldn't find it...).

By jalu

Master (158)

jalu's picture

05-01-2004, 19:03

Hey Latok, could you please remove the space again? I'm curious whether Safari renders it correctly. Tongue

And those who claim IE is a better browser because it refuses to comply to standards... :N

Wink

By mars2000you

mars2000you's picture

05-01-2004, 19:52

It seems that some people can't read. Yes, this time, I can say that ! Why ? I don't have said that IE was better, I have only given a little trick to avoid to type the listing ...

By d-fader

d-fader's picture

05-01-2004, 21:03

And who has the most idiotic reaction? Damn man, Guyver, cut some slack man! Face it, it is a BUG in mozilla, since words with white spaces are wrapped Tongue
As long as you can go 180 degrees the other way, you remind me of a salmon!
Face it man, NON microsoft software can have bugs too! I mean debugging is a normal word, it's not ONLY M$ related Tongue Coding is putting bugs in, debugging is getting bugs out.
Just relax man, buy a new freakin' siemens relax phone!

By Grauw

Grauw's picture

05-01-2004, 23:44

D-fader... c'mon, please... You got nothing better to do? As you could have read in the forum, the International Guyver-bashing day was three days ago. And uh, mars2000you, no one was saying you were. There are more reactions to this newspost than only yours, and that was what people are responding to on the IE vs. Mozilla topic... So it's a bit silly response Smile.

Anyways, sure, non Microsoft software can have bugs too. However the Mozilla people actually try to fix them, instead of creating something buggy and keeping it around for years so that people actually start to commonly use nonstandard code because the bugs dictate them to do so! Submitting a bug is very easy, and you can communicate with the developers about it.

If you didn't know yet: IE development has stopped. That means that none of the bugs or nonstandard behaviours will be fixed. Nor will new versions be released including better CSS2 or even CSS3 support. A very sad situation for HTML coders, really...

Some examples? It's impossible for me to include the proper XML character encoding tag in an XHTML document while keeping IE6 in standards compliance mode. Very stupid and annoying bug, really. Fortunately there was still a standard conforming way to work around it. Another one? What about the background colour of a box extending into the margin? True, it was actually a contradiction in the CSS2 documentation, but it was fixed in CSS2.1 and they should at least have spotted it, and implement the proper behaviour. 'Nother one? I was trying to change the MAP menu bar from a weird combination of anonymous DIV and A tags into a proper list structure with UL and LI items. It all worked perfectly fine in Mozilla, in IE however it just wouldn't remove the list item dots and put the items next to eachother in columns instead of below eachother. Blegh.

Those are just three simple examples which pop into mind. And mind you: those are all bugs of the so-called IE6 'Standards Compliance' mode! IE5.5 and lower have even much more annoying bugs and nonstandard behaviour.

~Grauw