Pirate3d - an affordable 3d printer

Pirate3d - an affordable 3d printer

by wolf_ on 02-06-2013, 21:06
Topic: Hardware

The next big thing among computer geeks seems to be '3d printing', machines with which you can print your own plastic materials. 'How is this related to MSX', you say? Well, think of it; do you have an MSX case from the 80's which misses a few plastic bits that are impossible to find? Or are you perhaps into case modding and you need parts for your unique casing (and thus a unique looking MSX)?

A more practical application would be the creation of cartridge cases for home-brew games. In a way, and surely you'd need a neat printer for stickers as well, one could create new cases for Konami games that have been modified or butchered to house an SCC switch. And for the real creative game developers: how about casting the heroine of your epic RPG in 3d and ship it in the packaging, together with your own uniquely shaped cartridge? See this video of what your heroine would look like! Maybe you'd like your SD Snatcher metal creatures in 3d, they'd surely look nice on anyone's bedside! All you need is someone to model a 3d figure out of the 2d images.. not easy perhaps, but not impossible either!

The possibilities are endless, and for (as it looks now) $347 this machine probably won't break the bank (though banks, these days, show they're quite capable of breaking them self). It's a Kickstarter project and it looks like it'll become a success. You can still pre-order for a few weeks, delivery is expected to be in December of 2013.

Not inspired yet? Go see this video! If you'd have one, what would you print within an MSX context?

Relevant link: Pirate3d

By SkyeWelse

SkyeWelse's picture

03-06-2013, 02:31

Neat project. Still a bit too rich for my blood, but I think we are going to see a huge boom in the 3D printing business. It just makes sense to be able to craft something you need using a schematic rather than have to pay to have an object to be custom made, pay for shipping and wait for a part to arrive. Think of how a machine might break down in a remote region of the world and the machine needs to be fixed asap, all that needs to be done is go online find the part schematic you need and presto! Instant part.

I'm also interested in this from a designer aspect as well since I know how to do 3D modeling. I'm a bit rusty, but I've made some 3D stuff several years ago for school. Never really pursued much after that since nowadays you need to be much more skilled to get work in the 3D Animation industry. But hmm... 3D printing as a small hobby for a little extra income on the side, that'd be right up my alley. : )

T-Rex
Georgia Right Whale
Orca "Killer" Whale
Asset Objects for Rail Road / Train Wreck Documentary
Skeleton Torso (Here's your Snatcher, or close to it! :) )
Red Vaudeville Mask
Sharks and Diver in Diving Cage
Alien Fighter - Scorpion Relic Ship
Civil War Naval Howitzer
Fruit Bowl (Very old, 2nd modeling project ever! :) )

Anyhow, yeah, I think creating 3D models for MSX related projects would be quite enjoyable. Doubt I'd have the time to do them for free though, but I probably wouldn't charge too much for a design if I were to make some.

-Thomas

By NYYRIKKI

NYYRIKKI's picture

03-06-2013, 10:36

If there would be free printable 3D Konami cartridge model available, then I think I would order one...

By luppie

luppie's picture

03-06-2013, 10:48

A friend of mine works in the 3D business and already asked him to create a model of a Konami cart. Big smile
But then without the Konami marks on it.

By turbor

turbor's picture

03-06-2013, 12:04

And for people who think 3D printing is only for toys and 3d printable guns, have a look at this:the robohand prosthetic

By syn

Prophet (2061)

syn's picture

03-06-2013, 13:45

i wonder, how much are the costs of ONE printed object (like a price per square inch/cm or w/e)? (not counting the costs of buying a printer)

By Paranosh

Expert (71)

Paranosh's picture

03-06-2013, 14:49

i use shapeways, it's easy and it's no more expensive, if anybody want check a price this page it's the best.

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9883)

wolf_'s picture

03-06-2013, 15:11

syn: I recall seeing a price of $30 per kilogram of plastic on that website, somewhere.

By NYYRIKKI

NYYRIKKI's picture

03-06-2013, 22:28

My mind plays tricks on me... I already see MSX game cartridges in my head where there is something like this bumpmapped on top... Maybe in future this could be seen as artistic representation of pile of MSX carts?

By sd_snatcher

sd_snatcher's picture

04-06-2013, 01:26

That certainly would made it perfect for a Seed of Dragon cartridge! LOL!

04-06-2013, 21:27

But NYYRIKKI, she doesn't look healthy!

By syn

Prophet (2061)

syn's picture

05-06-2013, 10:56

NYYRIKKI wrote:

I was wondering that myself. Quick google and I found that next to 3d printers, also 3D SCANNERS exists!

if only you can scan bigger objects, we could start scanning (and printing) actual msx casings :D

By NYYRIKKI

NYYRIKKI's picture

05-06-2013, 13:33

I played a bit with OpenSCAD and yeah... I think that making somehow working cartridge model would not really take more than a day even from novice like me... When you start to improve the details, then that is pretty much endless trip.

By Gradius2