Sinterklaas remakes of Nemesis 2 and The Maze of Galious

Sinterklaas remakes of Nemesis 2 and The Maze of Galious

by Boos on 15-11-2014, 15:34
Topic: Remakes

MSX fan Boos from Holland is not only a fan of the MSX, but also of Sinterklaas (if you don't know Sinterklaas, it's basically the Dutch equivalent of Santa Claus).

Now that Sinterklaas has arrived in Holland again in order to prepare for his celebration at December 5th, he contacted Boos. Sinterklaas has always been a fan of Konami MSX games and has asked for 'remakes' of these gamed to be developed. So Boos started working on games for Windows 7/8 inspired by two classic Konami games. First up is The Maze of Pietious, a parody of Maze of Galious. The second game is Nemesis Sint, a reinterpretation of Nemesis 2, even featuring Dr. Venom in a thematic costume!

Both games are available for Windows 7 and 8 and freely available from his website (Dutch). The website also contains some screenshots with instructions (in English) that can be used as a manual.

Relevant link: Boaz' website

Media browser (6)

• Sinterklaas remakes of Nemesis 2 and The Maze of Galious
  • Sinterklaas remakes of Nemesis 2 and The Maze of Galious
  • Sinterklaas remakes of Nemesis 2 and The Maze of Galious
  • Sinterklaas remakes of Nemesis 2 and The Maze of Galious
  • Sinterklaas remakes of Nemesis 2 and The Maze of Galious
  • Sinterklaas remakes of Nemesis 2 and The Maze of Galious

By Grauw

Grauw's picture

15-11-2014, 15:36

They look real nice, I’ll give them a try on the Windows PC at work on monday Smile.

By Meits

Meits's picture

15-11-2014, 15:37

rofl... i like this guy Big smile

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

15-11-2014, 15:44

LOL, awesome! LOL!

By Randam

Randam's picture

15-11-2014, 17:40

Those two sinterklaas versions are awesome Smile Any chance it can/ will be implemented in a version that is playable on msx (adapted rom)?

By Hrothgar

Hrothgar's picture

16-11-2014, 10:27

The games look hilarious.
Pity they don't seem to be installable on Windows XP. I'm a bit flabbergasted that a remake of an 80's videogame with matching visuals should require the most modern operating system Question

By Meits

Meits's picture

16-11-2014, 12:02

Instead of the internet being a dangerous place for you, let this game be a reason to upgrade the hell out of that Windows XP.

By Hrothgar

Hrothgar's picture

16-11-2014, 12:09

What a hallucinant comment to read on a forum dedicated to ancient computers.

Perhaps someone could upload some videos on Youtube? Who knows, if I like them enough they will seduce me to ask Santa for a new computer this year.

By Daemos

Daemos's picture

16-11-2014, 15:08

Quote:

try linux. Boot into into it live. install wine, run the game Smile no upgrade needed Wink

By Meits

Meits's picture

16-11-2014, 22:40

Hrothgar wrote:

What a hallucinant comment to read on a forum dedicated to ancient computers.

Excuse me for being rude. It wasn't meant like that. I mixed up my professional day life in a computer company with my hobby life...

By Boos

Supporter (8)

Boos's picture

17-11-2014, 09:16

Hi All,

Good to hear that you like it Smile, let me answer some of the questions:

@Randam: I think that it should be possible to implement this on a MSX-rom, although sometimes I decided to go beyond the limits of a MSX-1 computer (like using the colour brown or using sprites with multiple colours and I haven't look at the size of the tileset).
But I have to admit that I only have skills in MSX-basic, so I wouldn't know how to implement a real MSX-version oO

@Hrothgar: You understimate the raw computing power of the MSX Wink . But really, the reason is that the games have been developed using the Microsoft XNA framework, which runs on the .NET 4.0 framework.
HOWEVER: I checked up on the internet and it seems that it should be possible to run the games on a Windows XP machine (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15163)
It might be that I would have to alter the installation package to make it work. I'll look into this.

By Grauw

Grauw's picture

17-11-2014, 12:45

@Boos Great work Smile. Nemesis Sint is quite hard!

On my Windows 8 machine at work I was informed during the setup process that some XNA thing was missing. Download the XNA redistributable to get the installation to complete.

By Hrothgar

Hrothgar's picture

17-11-2014, 13:07

Sorry for nearly starting a flame-war. Meits, I didn't perceive your comment as rude, I just found it a surprising combination to read in this environment :-)
Boos: thanks for trying to make it work. I also had to download the XNA redistributable first to get rid of that error message during the installation, only to get another message further on that my graphics card isn't advanced enough to run this game. Hilarious as it sounds, but I'm not sure you can fix that when keeping this framework as a basis?
Also thanks for the Linux tip. I have a bootable CD lying around and already have some experience with old Windows software that doesn't run on XP anymore but does under Linux. I'll give it a try.

By Samor

Paragon (2029)

Samor's picture

17-11-2014, 13:28

that looks hilarious, Boos Smile

By Boos

Supporter (8)

Boos's picture

17-11-2014, 15:04

Glad to see that it works on some PCs Smile

@Hrothgar: Question This is probably due to the fact that it requires at least a DirectX 10 capable video card. I have changed the setting in the Nemesis S solution such that it now should only ask for a DirectX 9 card.

In addition, I also included the XNA framework libraries to the project, so it shouldn't be asking for the framework anymore.

I'm at my work, so I cannot update The Maze of Pietious right now, but the Nemesis Sint should actually be playable now Cool

By FiXato