Metal Gear Remake gets the okay from Konami

Metal Gear Remake gets the okay from Konami

by ro on 02-06-2014, 13:18
Topic: Remakes
Tags: Metal Gear

Source: Kotaku

Mod team Outer Heaven are recreating the original MSX Metal Gear using a version of Valve's Alien Swarm engine. Now they've received the official thumbs up from Konami. The clause to Konami's go ahead is that they can't make money (specifically "you cannot use our copyrighted material to promote a product you are selling or making any profit from"). As long as the team stick to that they can fill their boots. That approval also means they're ramping up production and are looking for help with level design, modeling, texture art, C++ programming, music and acting. If you can help with any of that then then hit them up at outerheavendev@gmail.com.

Relevant link: Metal Gear Remake website

By Omega

Master (230)

Omega's picture

02-06-2014, 16:41

this is why the word "awesome" was invented!

By MsxKun

MsxKun's picture

02-06-2014, 19:27

It is easier to plug the MSX and the cartridge Big smile
Why don't they make the other way? Port um... Snake Eater to MSX2, for example Tongue

By Latok

msx guru (3836)

Latok's picture

02-06-2014, 19:41

I don't like remakes that much, so agreed with MsxKun, better plug the MSX and the cartridge and start playing the original Smile

All the best though to them developers Smile

By TheSpecialist

Expert (113)

TheSpecialist's picture

02-06-2014, 21:00

This is quite decent of Konami!
But yeah, I would prefer someone port MGS to MSX...

By Randam

Randam's picture

02-06-2014, 21:03

If MSX -> PC port is allowed, maybe a PC -> MSX port is allowed too? I vote for the VR missions especially.

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (116)

anonymous's picture

03-06-2014, 01:30

TheSpecialist wrote:

But yeah, I would prefer someone port MGS to MSX...

Do you reckon that'd be looking and playing a bit along the lines of Ghost Babel?
Or are you thinking towards a version with GFX9000 etc. that would actually look '3D'?

By kanima

Master (193)

kanima's picture

03-06-2014, 02:23

oh great, one less reason for people to get to know MSX

By ro

ro's picture

03-06-2014, 08:02

Wow, John, I heard about ghost-babel but never actually seen footage of the game. It's a good combo of MG1+MG2 with MGS influences. Much text, but also smooth gameplay. Thanx for the vid (5hours of fun, whoohee).

Tho the org MSX version of MG is great, or even the greatest, I'm curious about a remake on newer electronics.
Now, first lemme finish the new translated Firebird game Smile (another one of my all-time-fave games)

By Hrothgar

Hrothgar's picture

03-06-2014, 12:33

Actually Artrag's examples of a 3D engine led me to believe that for 3D on Screen 5, not the VDP is the limiting factor (which is usually assumed) but the Z80. An on-cartridge preprocessor for the 3D VDP commands sounds just as useful (and much more retro) than using a GFX9000 to me.

By Grauw

Grauw's picture

03-06-2014, 14:54

I do think the VDP is the limiting factor; it needs to have commands to draw polygons to be able to do 3D effectively. You can’t expect the CPU to do all that, any system that supports 3D uses hardware acceleration, from PSX and VooDoo to modern graphics cards. Unfortunately the Gfx9000 doesn’t have a polygon draw command either.

The Z80 is more than capable of doing 3D math I think… though I reckon you probably want to avoid matrix multiplications if you can, given that even a very optimised 4x4 matrix multiplication with a vector will easily take 1500 cycles (out of the 60.000 you have each interrupt).

You could put a coprocessor on the cartridge which basically does all the matrix math and polygon drawing, and dedicate the Z80 to send the draw buffer to the VDP. It wouldn’t be fast though, in optimum conditions the VDP fill rate for an entire screen is 150 ms orso, maybe if you have some borders and UI you can get 10 fps. And the Z80 is just doing dumb forwarding work, while the VDP command engine is left unused. Bleh. It’s not really “MSX” or “retro” anymore either IMO.

By syn

Prophet (2065)

syn's picture

03-06-2014, 16:03

Great news! I am interested in how it turns out Wink

This proves that Konami actually cares about their fans and that they are lenient towards custom-mods/fan-remakes/and such Smile More companies should follow their example!

By Latok

msx guru (3836)

Latok's picture

03-06-2014, 16:15

I somehow have the feeling Konami will revoke their approval. This news is getting too much attention... Konami probably didn't expect that.

But hey, hopefully, I'm wrong Smile

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (116)

anonymous's picture

03-06-2014, 16:34

This is quite a huge step from Konami indeed, I know how hard it was for us go get clearance for recording the West Side Trio plays MSX performance.

Latok does have a point, though... An e-mail with the text "If the project goes well and there will be public interest in it, KONAMI will surely get to know this and consider further step accordingly".is subject to many interpretations. And quite frankly so is "KONAMI [wrote an email] that said they were happy for us to go-ahead with out remake of the classic MSX game, METAL GEAR, aslong as we don't abuse the copyright issues (ie make a profit from the project/take donations).". The developers most certainly did not get a carte blanche on this one, to say the least.

By Samor

Samor's picture

03-06-2014, 16:40

kanima wrote:

oh great, one less reason for people to get to know MSX

...or to get them more interested in MSX Wink

At least it's not based on the NES version.

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (116)

anonymous's picture

03-06-2014, 17:37

Too bad they aren't remaking Metal Gear 2. Finally my Sean Connery imitation could have been put to good use. Wink

"Welcome to Zanzibar Land, Shnake."

By TheSpecialist

Expert (113)

TheSpecialist's picture

04-06-2014, 15:54

JohnHassink wrote:
TheSpecialist wrote:

But yeah, I would prefer someone port MGS to MSX...

I reckon it would play like MG2SS but then smoother. Don't confuse the original MGS with any of its sequels! The original MGS is basically 95% a 2D game. Later versions, such as Twin Snakes for Gamecube which was based on the "MGS2.5" engine, made it more 3D.

By TheSpecialist

Expert (113)

TheSpecialist's picture

04-06-2014, 15:55

JohnHassink wrote:

Unfortunately Sean Connery was replaced in all of the MG2 rereleases...

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5587)

JohnHassink's picture

04-06-2014, 18:55

TheSpecialist wrote:

The original MGS is basically 95% a 2D game.

You're right about that. It even still has 'simple' 8-directional controls. Looks like me, the instances where you look around, snipe or crawl under something would be the hardest to reproduce.

TheSpecialist wrote:

Unfortunately Sean Connery was replaced in all of the MG2 rereleases...

I know. Smile But even when I played the Subsistence version, I couldn't help but read Big Boss' dialogue in Connery's voice. Wink

By Vampier

Vampier's picture

05-06-2014, 18:56

And the project is dead

By Grauw

Grauw's picture

05-06-2014, 19:17

Any news what happened? Too ambitious? Konami changed their mind?

By snout

snout's picture

05-06-2014, 19:21

https://twitter.com/OH_Remake mentions the project has been ceased until further notice, but also links to a vid of Liquid Snake saying "It's not over yet!"...

By SkyeWelse

SkyeWelse's picture

06-06-2014, 21:20

This is pretty cool, I hope they will continue this project. : ) It's also nice to hear that Konami was on board (at least initially) to allow a fan-game to be made that was not-for-sale.

All this talk about porting Metal Gear Solid to the MSX, makes me wonder... there is that one Metal Gear game that is not considered canon that Hideo Kojima was not a part of for the NES called Snake's Revenge. It would be quite awesome if there was a fan-made MSX Metal Gear game coded by the MSX scene. : )

It could be called.... "METAL GEAR: Snake's Revengeance" lol

-Thomas

By selios2000

selios2000's picture

08-06-2014, 15:34

I must contact with Konami for a similar reason. My project of MSX is finished but I want all legal issues in order. Anyone knows how to contact them?

By mars2000you

mars2000you's picture

30-08-2014, 21:50

Don't trust Konami, this fan remake will never exist :

"new posts from Ratcliffe on MGSForums say that the shutdown seems to have happened because Konami's various divisions couldn't agree as to whether the Metal Gear re-make should go ahead."