openMSX 18.0 released

openMSX 18.0 released

by ro on 13-06-2022, 12:00
Topic: Emulation
Languages:

The openMSX team has just released their latest MSX emulator software version. With openMSX 18.0 we're approaching perfect emulation even a bit further. As always, free to use. Update your running instance now.

If you're a contemporary computer user still engaging with the good-old Z80, then openMSX is your weapon of choice. With the aim for perfect emulation, the openMSX software runs your favorite MSX software on the fly. Not only game fanatics get their high, it is also the perfect way of rendering new software. As a software developer this emulation is your tool as well.

openMSX 18.0 - "Lucky Number" - is again a release with mostly bug fixes and smaller improvements. And a little more blasphemy out there adding support for Sega SG-1000. As long as it isn't supporting C64, we're cool with this. Together with openMSX an updated version of Catapult, the user-friendly GUI, was also released. No functional changes in Catapult however.

For a complete list of changes, read the release notes for openMSX 18.0.

relevant link: openMSX official web site

Comments (22)

By Tolvatar

Paladin (1008)

Tolvatar's picture

13-06-2022, 18:03

Good to see the improvements.
Hope some day i see what i expect for so long.

By gdx

Enlighted (5480)

gdx's picture

14-06-2022, 12:12

Having repaired my PC, I installed it. Smile

Quote:

Together with openMSX an updated version of Catapult, the user-friendly GUI, was also released. No functional changes in Catapult however.

The GUI could be really user friendly if expansion cartridges were selectable in the same way as a Rom cartridge like Nekolauncher for Mac. With Catapult, it's complicated to insert a cartridge into the slot we want, and it's even impossible if we use one, or worse two expanders slots. This GUI gives the impression that it was not developed for an MSX emulator. It doesn't even provide that an MSX can have more than 2 slots. It's a shame for an emulator that claims advanced emulation.

By tfh

Prophet (3175)

tfh's picture

14-06-2022, 14:36

gdx wrote:

Having repaired my PC, I installed it. Smile

Quote:

Together with openMSX an updated version of Catapult, the user-friendly GUI, was also released. No functional changes in Catapult however.

The GUI could be really user friendly if expansion cartridges were selectable in the same way as a Rom cartridge like Nekolauncher for Mac. With Catapult, it's complicated to insert a cartridge into the slot we want, and it's even impossible if we use one, or worse two expanders slots. This GUI gives the impression that it was not developed for an MSX emulator. It doesn't even provide that an MSX can have more than 2 slots. It's a shame for an emulator that claims advanced emulation.

Although I'm also not a big fan of the GUI, you can add a slot expander in catapult and add more cartridges. Not ideal, but most of the time does the job.

By gdx

Enlighted (5480)

gdx's picture

14-06-2022, 15:00

I'm not saying we can't add a slot expander but it is complicated to insert a cartridge into the slot we want. It's even impossible in several case and especially if we want use two expanders.

By Udderdude

Supporter (12)

Udderdude's picture

14-06-2022, 19:19

Nice update.

By Manuel

Ascended (18779)

Manuel's picture

14-06-2022, 20:17

Catapult hasn't been developed for years. Use the built in OSD menu for such things. It allows all the things you mentioned.

By moldov31337

Expert (78)

moldov31337's picture

14-06-2022, 23:47

Guys, thanks a lot for your commitment. Every project I do for MSX could not have been existed without OpenMSX and OpenMSX Debugger.

By manolito74

Paragon (1220)

manolito74's picture

16-06-2022, 00:13

Oh..., what a pity...! I was expectant to see, oficially, the TSX Emulation in the OpenMSX.

By Vahan

Expert (87)

Vahan's picture

16-06-2022, 00:17

Keep it up. You're finishing up where Blue MSX left off. I wonder how many more versions until perfect emulation? I can most certainly wait until then.

By Vampier

Prophet (2395)

Vampier's picture

16-06-2022, 22:31

manolito74 wrote:

Oh..., what a pity...! I was expectant to see, oficially, the TSX Emulation in the OpenMSX.

Let me put it this way: openMSX will NEVER have TSX emulation. You can quote me on this.

Now you never have to be disappointed again because your expectations have been set.

By Vampier

Prophet (2395)

Vampier's picture

16-06-2022, 22:27

Vahan wrote:

Keep it up. You're finishing up where Blue MSX left off. I wonder how many more versions until perfect emulation? I can most certainly wait until then.

openMSX and blueMSX were developed in parallel and we worked together - right now openMSX is far beyond where blueMSX stood 12 years ago when it was abandoned (by lack of a better word)

By Bengalack

Hero (578)

Bengalack's picture

18-06-2022, 17:14

Awesome news!!! Keep it up. openmsx is the home of msx development. New slogan right there Smile

(btw: any focus on a new release of the debugger)?

By Manuel

Ascended (18779)

Manuel's picture

18-06-2022, 18:40

The debugger has never had a release... But you can just get the current state... At any time.

By Gradius2

Hero (641)

Gradius2's picture

20-06-2022, 08:43

CG on new version.

About Sega SG-1000, it cannot run Taiwan ROMs (gets looping boot), only japanese ROM are supported?

I even tried the last build (post v18), and doesn't works too.

Btw, I finally discovered how many MSX were sold after all those years: a bit more than 4M units.

By Tolvatar

Paladin (1008)

Tolvatar's picture

20-06-2022, 16:44

Vampier wrote:
manolito74 wrote:

Oh..., what a pity...! I was expectant to see, oficially, the TSX Emulation in the OpenMSX.

Let me put it this way: openMSX will NEVER have TSX emulation. You can quote me on this.

Now you never have to be disappointed again because your expectations have been set.

Sad to hear that.
Don't know why, but i'm not going to ask.

On other side, good work on the fixes for this new version

By Manuel

Ascended (18779)

Manuel's picture

21-06-2022, 07:51

Gradius2 wrote:

Btw, I finally discovered how many MSX were sold after all those years: a bit more than 4M units.

How did you get to this number? And why post it in this thread?

By manolito74

Paragon (1220)

manolito74's picture

23-06-2022, 01:56

Vampier wrote:
manolito74 wrote:

Oh..., what a pity...! I was expectant to see, oficially, the TSX Emulation in the OpenMSX.

Let me put it this way: openMSX will NEVER have TSX emulation. You can quote me on this.

Now you never have to be disappointed again because your expectations have been set.

Hi,

Sorry to hear this drastical decision.

Why did you say that? I think OpenMSX is an Open Emulator, an Emaulator that "aims to be perfect". TSX Forma is justa another Format. In my humble opinion, all the Formats can "live" perfectly together: CAS, WAV, TSX.

The TSX Format is a evolution of older format, like CAS. The CAS Format, isn't perfect. Games need to be patched often in order to work in any Emulator.

It's justa a way to progress and advance, open the mind and open new possibilities. As you know OpenMSX can manage perfectly the TSX Format with minimal modifications. In fact, there is an unofficial for that supports that. So... why not an OFFICIAL VERSIÓN of the OpenMSX with TSX Format?

Following your way of thinking the CAS Format shouldn't be supported for OpenMSX or any other Emulator? In the same way that one day the CAS Format appears some years ago the TSX Format has been released. There is a definition of the format and there is almos 500 TSX Files available to download.

MSX-VR supports that Format, Retro Virtual Machine supports also the TSX Format. The TSX Format is a solid Format with a lot of possibilities. So... why to deny the reality...? Why to refuse in this radical way the TSX?

All the formas can live together and the User'll decide what format wants to use.

It's just that. This is not a "war" ("a ver quién la tiene más larga...") It's just a question of evolution and be open minded.

I know that you prefer the WAV format. But unfortunately, we (you) have to recognize that even your WAV support is quite far to be perfecto. MAME Emulators in most of the cases manage better the WAV format and a lot of games in WAV format that can't be loaded in Open MSX load perfectly in the MAME Emulator.

I repeat... this is not a wor. It's just to evolve. And the TSX Team has always open their arms, their hands in order to collaborate with the Open MSX authors.

Thank you very much indeed.

Best regards. ;-)

By manolito74

Paragon (1220)

manolito74's picture

23-06-2022, 02:08

Ps. In fact, we are working now in a GUI to manage the MakeTSX in order to create the TSX Files easier. With tools like that, with Emulators that support the TSX, etc., more Users'll be interested in the TSX Format.

So thanks for your great work and for your Emulator and please, reconsider your decision and your way of thinking. It's a question to "add" and not to "substract".

Of course is my humble opinion and sincerely I don't understand your radical (and drastic) answer to my comment. I think even the way to answer my is a little bit "aggresive", don't you think so? (at least is how I have felt) I think all the time I have been polite and respectful when I have given my opinion. But don't worry.. of course I'am not "angried" or "upset" with you. It's just my personal perception. ;-)

I'm sure you are smart enough to understand what I try to mean. ;-)

By Manuel

Ascended (18779)

Manuel's picture

23-06-2022, 07:49

manolito74 wrote:

But unfortunately, we (you) have to recognize that even your WAV support is quite far to be perfecto. MAME Emulators in most of the cases manage better the WAV format and a lot of games in WAV format that can't be loaded in Open MSX load perfectly in the MAME Emulator.

Please name a few examples of such wav files which load on real MSX but not in openMSX.

By manolito74

Paragon (1220)

manolito74's picture

24-06-2022, 05:12

Hello, Manuel,

I was talking about that some WAV Files loaded in the MAME Emulator but not in the Open MSX Emulator.

Best regards.

By wouter_

Champion (484)

wouter_'s picture

24-06-2022, 08:48

manolito74 wrote:

I was talking about that some WAV Files loaded in the MAME Emulator but not in the Open MSX Emulator.

Yes, we understood that. But can you name some concrete examples? Because all such files we looked at in the past turned out to also not load correctly on various real MSX machines.

By Pablibiris

Paragon (1812)

Pablibiris's picture

24-06-2022, 18:07

Waiting for the Imulilla's version Hannibal