Nextor 2.0.2 released

by konamiman on 08-04-2014, 17:27
Topic: Development
Tags: Nextor
Languages:

It's been just four days since Nextor 2.0.1 was launched, but here's a new release! MRC user saccopharynx noticed that versions 2.0 final and 2.0.1 didn't boot properly in MSX-DOS 1 mode, this was caused by a bug that the new 2.0.2 version fixes. Version 2.1 Alpha 1 has been fixed as well, but in this case the version number has been maintained.

Moreover, a new version of the Nextor Getting Started Guide has been published, which corrects a couple of errata reported also by saccopharynx, and Flattr has been added to the list of available methods to donate.

Relevant link: Konamiman's MSX page

Comments (10)

By edoz

Prophet (2314)

edoz's picture

08-04-2014, 19:51

Cool! The Getting Started Guide is handy! I like the comments "What is just happend Wink" BDW i never noticed that CALL FDISK is also working on the Sunrise IDE device! ... already have two Megaflash SD devices so i think i will try the Sunrise IDE again! with the new beta!

By edoz

Prophet (2314)

edoz's picture

08-04-2014, 20:42

yes it works! Cool to see how my sunrise IDE is booting a FAT16 device.. Big smile

I just created just one partition using CALL FDISK in basic..

Do someone know how the partition count is with nextor ? The first partition with IDEFDISK was alway number 4 ..

By konamiman

Paragon (1117)

konamiman's picture

09-04-2014, 09:15

edoz wrote:

yes it works! Cool to see how my sunrise IDE is booting a FAT16 device..

It works? Really??

That's strange. What people usually says is that the Sunrise IDE driver doesn't work at all on real MSX computers.

edoz wrote:

Do someone know how the partition count is with nextor ? The first partition with IDEFDISK was alway number 4 ..

Nextor's FDISK will create only primary partitions if you define four partitions or less. Otherwise, it will create one primary partition plus as much extended partitions as needed, in the standard way.

Sunrise IDE's FDISK on the other hand does a very strange and non-standard thing: it creates a table with 32 "primary partitions" in the boot sector. Thus you can map only the first four (or it is the last four?) partitions of these devices when using the MAPDRV tool.

By Manuel

Ascended (17701)

Manuel's picture

09-04-2014, 09:43

konamiman: perhaps it was fixed with the mapper fix?

By edoz

Prophet (2314)

edoz's picture

09-04-2014, 10:02

Until now I don't have any problems on the Sunrise IDE controller using the Beta Nextor release.
I just have one big 4 BG partition Big smile

The only thing at the moment is that I don't get Symbos running.. but have to find this out why. It must be running because symbos doesn't used the bios at all .. I think there is something with the correct detect of partition number.

I agree that the IDEFDISK.COM makes bad partitions! .. it's good that I can use the call fdisk tool that makes normal partitions.

Big smile

konamiman wrote:
edoz wrote:

yes it works! Cool to see how my sunrise IDE is booting a FAT16 device..

It works? Really??

That's strange. What people usually says is that the Sunrise IDE driver doesn't work at all on real MSX computers.

edoz wrote:

Do someone know how the partition count is with nextor ? The first partition with IDEFDISK was alway number 4 ..

Nextor's FDISK will create only primary partitions if you define four partitions or less. Otherwise, it will create one primary partition plus as much extended partitions as needed, in the standard way.

Sunrise IDE's FDISK on the other hand does a very strange and non-standard thing: it creates a table with 32 "primary partitions" in the boot sector. Thus you can map only the first four (or it is the last four?) partitions of these devices when using the MAPDRV tool.

By edoz

Prophet (2314)

edoz's picture

09-04-2014, 12:16

is there a way to improve the ralloc function ?
If I enable it tooks 8 seconds to calculate the free space
if I disable it tooks 16 seconts to calculate the free space

my volume name is: 10M
and I use the command ralloc A: ON

By mesiasmsx

Prophet (3270)

mesiasmsx's picture

09-04-2014, 19:41

Again thanks for your impressive work.

PD: Your primo from Pladur! Face

By Piter Punk

Master (222)

Piter Punk's picture

10-04-2014, 05:10

konamiman wrote:
edoz wrote:

yes it works! Cool to see how my sunrise IDE is booting a FAT16 device..

It works? Really??

That's strange. What people usually says is that the Sunrise IDE driver doesn't work at all on real MSX computers.

Hey! It works fine! All my CIEL/MSX-Projetos/ACVS IDE cartridges are with Nextor since 2.00, and I am a very happy user! The only thing that bugs me is the "waiting forever" when the IDE is without any devices attached. Workaround by now is to always have some device connected to the IDE interfaces. Not so hard to do.

By gdx

Enlighted (4197)

gdx's picture

10-04-2014, 13:21

Nextor 2.00 don't work perfectly on a Sunrise CF with MSX turbo R.

- When the MSX turbo R starts, CF cards are still recognized at screen but sometime not recognized by the MSX. Sometimes I have to restart the MSX.
- sometime the partitioning tool can't recognize my CF.
- the partitioning tool can't recognize all CD-CF adapter (recognized by original bios).
- and a few other problems that I forgot.

(I tested until v.2.0.1)

By edoz

Prophet (2314)

edoz's picture

10-04-2014, 14:29

gdx wrote:

Nextor 2.00 don't work perfectly on a Sunrise CF with MSX turbo R.

- When the MSX turbo R starts, CF cards are still recognized at screen but sometime not recognized by the MSX. Sometimes I have to restart the MSX.
- sometime the partitioning tool can't recognize my CF.
- the partitioning tool can't recognize all CD-CF adapter (recognized by original bios).
- and a few other problems that I forgot.

(I tested until v.2.0.1)

Ok .. that's weird ! I don't have those problems! I tested it on a normal Turbo-r GT without any extensions.
I use: Nextor Kernel 2.1. alpha 1 with nextor.sys 2.10 and comand2.com 2.44

There was only one problem I have. Sometimes my drive is detected during startup as A and sometimes as B.. but this was, as far I know a problem with a CF card. I replaced the CF card for a new one and the problems where gone.
Are you sure you are using the CALL FDISK program to create the partitions ? As the IDEFDISK.COM from sunrise creates no standard FAT partitions. Maybe you have to try a different SD card ?