Jack is back!

Jack is back!

by fregarni on 31-03-2020, 13:22
Topic: Development

MRC member fregarni has been encouraged to develop games for our MSX. he has started with a version of the Bomb Jack for MSX1.

Who ever loved the version of Kralizec for MSX2 wanted to see something similar for MSX1.
The SG-1000 version fell short, so fregarni has left some images of how the development is going.

We hope to have a final version soon.

Media browser (7)

• Jack is back!
  • Jack is back!
  • Jack is back!
  • Jack is back!
  • Jack is back!
  • Jack is back!
  • Jack is back!

By Pippo

Pippo's picture

01-04-2020, 09:00

Very, very interesting, really!
But, it would be better with multicolor enemy sprites. Smile
However, it is a good work! Smile

By aranya

Rookie (21)

aranya's picture

01-04-2020, 15:15

It sounds good, I will be attentive to his work, I am very interested in this kind of new games and I would like to thank you for his effort.

By JohnHassink

Thank you, John.
But, I was referring to this Msx-1 game. Smile

By The Apeman

Supporter (12)

The Apeman's picture

03-04-2020, 19:36

Apropos of nothing: the link in the RSS feed seems to refer to test.msx.org. Also for "The ultimative MSX Experience".

By PingPong

PingPong's picture

03-04-2020, 22:47

Let' s the sprite flickering dance begin with the msx1 vdp and multicolor enemies

By fregarni

Supporter (16)

fregarni's picture

06-04-2020, 12:21

Thanks for the feedback!

@Pippo @PingPong That's one of the reasons why enemies are monochrome. The flicker appears when there's a high number of enemies or coins, although I try to minimize it. I shuffle to leave only 1 the number of simultaneous coins (actually, max are 2 coins) and the maximum number of enemies on the screen to 7, to minimize it. Although, I don't think I can remove it.

By gdx

gdx's picture

06-04-2020, 13:42

You can use two or three sprites per character, avoiding at most putting 2 colors on the same line because the invisible parts do not count. So you can put 4 multicolored characters next to each other without blinking.

By Pippo

Pippo's picture

09-04-2020, 07:43

fregarni wrote:

Thanks for the feedback!

Hello Fregarni,
I think you should swap the "SAT" (Sprites Attribute Table) in order to avoid flickering.
Please, ask to experts for details and perfect implementation.
Thank you and have a very happy Msxing! Smile

By fregarni

Supporter (16)

fregarni's picture

12-04-2020, 09:48

Hello @Pippo ,

Thanks for the info but i'm not sure if i understand you. When you mean change the SAT, you mean vary the plane of the VPD in which the sprite will appear, right?

The latter is what I do when there are more than four sprites per line. I rotate the plane of the VDP in which the sprites appear as a round ribbon, causing them to appear in a plane with a lower priority than they were, except for the last sprite, the one that makes "5th sprite" who is painted in the most prioritary plane.

If anyone has any other better way to avoid sprite's flickering, I'd be grateful to hear about it.

Thanks

By Pippo

Pippo's picture

12-04-2020, 14:34

Hello again Fregarni,
To completely avoid flickering, please, refer to experts like "ArtRag", "Nyyrikki", "Grauw", etc.
I sincerely hope you will succeed with your beautiful game. Smile

By fregarni

Supporter (16)

fregarni's picture

12-04-2020, 18:06

Pippo wrote:

Hello again Fregarni,
I sincerely hope you will succeed with your beautiful game. Smile

Hello @Pippo,
"as far as I know, when you swap the "SAT", Sprite 4 (5th Sprite) becomes Sprite 0."
That's what i'm doing. I hope experts can show me how to avoid it.
Thaks for all.

By Pippo

Pippo's picture

13-04-2020, 07:44

Hi Fregarni,
it was nothing at all. Smile
I thought you may swap the "SAT" to any Vdp VBlank period, but I don't know if this procedure will work well.

By gdx

gdx's picture

17-04-2020, 17:32

Forget my message above, it's not true.