Metal Gear - Hideo Kojima about MSX

by Omega on 24-07-2012, 16:31
Topic: Media

When such a popular franchise celebrates its 25 year anniversary, Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima is going to show up all over the place. Playstation.Blog has published an interview with Hideo, reflecting back to all generations in the franchise. Curiously, the article doesn't mention the MSX2 game Metal Gear 2 - Solid Snake. Either way, the MSX2 version of Metal Gear was where it's all begun, and that gets mentioned plentiful. A solid example of MSX in the media!

Relevant link: Playstation.Blog

By Omega

Master (210)

Omega's picture

25-07-2012, 18:42

Hideo focuses specifically on the changes in the development process, maybe that's why MG2 didn't get mentioned (probably developed in more or less the same way). Wild guess. Wink

By Gradius2

Hero (574)

Gradius2's picture

31-07-2012, 20:29

How many they sold ?

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater >> over 4 million copies
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops >> ?!
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker >> $15 million on profit
Metal Gear >> over 1.3 million copies (thanks to Peace Walker)
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake >> over 1.3 million copies (thanks to Peace Walker)
Metal Gear Solid >> 7 million copies
The Twin Snakes >> 49000 in Japan
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty >> 8 million copies
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots >> at least 8 million copies

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5408)

JohnHassink's picture

31-07-2012, 22:49

What's the "(thanks to Peace Walker)" thing supposed to mean?
That game sold just about better than a baseball bat to the nuts.

By Omega

Master (210)

Omega's picture

02-08-2012, 12:55

I'm not sure, but Metal Gear 1 and 2 are included in MGS3 Subsistence (director's cut). I'm currently playing MGS HD collection, which includes MGS 2, 3 and PW. But I've not checked if MG1 and 2 are included.

BTW, peace walker is something different.. I'm not sure if I like it yet.

By Samor

Paragon (2029)

Samor's picture

02-08-2012, 14:23

I love peace walker, especially the controls. it's kind of a bummer going back to the control schemes in MGS2/3 after it.
There's also just a whole lot to do in the game, even after the main story.

By Omega

Master (210)

Omega's picture

02-08-2012, 14:39

I haven't played much yet, only the tutorial / prologue and chapter 1. The comic style cut scenes are not so my cup of tea. But firsts back to MGS2/3 then Smile

By Samor

Paragon (2029)

Samor's picture

03-08-2012, 11:18

I prefer MGS2/3 cutscenes as well, but I'm fine with the comic-like cutscenes.... except when playing a mission co-op and the other person keeps watching it while you want to quit out because you've already seen it. Really stupid flaw in the co-op design.

Anyway, the amount of content in the game is ridiculous... there's this whole archive of tape recordings (you'll unlock them as you play) with all kinds of chatter between the characters... I didn't quite listen to all of it, it's just too much Wink

By Omega

Master (210)

Omega's picture

06-08-2012, 12:22

Yesterday I've completed MG2 in MGS3, which was not removed yay Big smile Was fun to play again. It plays really smooth, some things have been changed a little bit and a Boss Battle mode was added compared to the MSX version.
I noticed that the fan translation of MG2 was really close to how Konami translated this version, cool. But Konami cheated a little by putting text in much higher resolution and proportional font.