Live world record speedruns of Vampire Killer

by Manuel on 01-01-2016, 21:41
Topic: Media

We've reported many times about Tool Assisted Speedruns on MRC, but there's another genre of speedrunning: live speedrunning on real hardware, without any help from emulator tricks. Just playing as the game is at real time! Not for the faint of heart, I can tell you...

Recently on twitch.tv we came across the channel of Jaguar_King, a 29 year old guy in the USA, who grew up with a Sakhr MSX1 in Saudi Arabia, playing games like King's Valley and its sequel, Penguin Adventure, The Castle, Hyper Rally, Road Fighter and Knightmare.

Jaguar_King is playing on his Panasonic FS-A1 MSX2. Currently he already made a (self claimed, after extensive research) world record on Vampire Killer: he finished the game in 17 minutes. As you can see on his channel, he's still doing attempts to improve this to a sub-17 minute run... and he also seems to have plans to do more MSX runs. Keep an eye on his channel

Relevant link: Vampire Killer in 17 minutes

By snout

snout's picture

01-01-2016, 22:00

I heard legendary tales about Konamiman's Nemesis 2 skills... maybe something for him, too? Smile

By Jorito

Mr. Ambassadors (1761)

Jorito's picture

01-01-2016, 22:22

Just watched the playthrough, and it's actually pretty mesmerizing to see!

By syn

Paragon (1916)

syn's picture

01-01-2016, 22:59

nice run

By Vampier

Vampier's picture

02-01-2016, 00:57

stopwatch exploitation.... not a true speedrun Tongue

02-01-2016, 13:34

Why isn't it a true speedrun if he's abusing a bug in the game?

By Kai Magazine

Kai Magazine's picture

02-01-2016, 14:45

Regardless of if wether or not is technically a true speedrun, it would be very interesting to see a speedrun without the stopwatch exploitation.
I found it very interesting at the beginning, before the bug, by how he syncronized his movements to avoid the enemies, it was very remarkable, showing the player's mental fitness. After the bug, I lost most of the interest.

By syn

Paragon (1916)

syn's picture

02-01-2016, 14:50

Glitch abuse is part of speedrunning

Quote:

It is agreed upon that glitches, which are the fault of the games programmers and not the player, are legitimate and allowed

By mars2000you

mars2000you's picture

02-01-2016, 15:22

Anyway, speedruns are not the real game, just a funny deviation for a few gamers Wink

And you can say almost the same for games played with cheats, but it always remains funny !

By snout

snout's picture

02-01-2016, 15:24

Still, I enjoyed watching this speedrun a lot. To me, this is much nicer than a TAS -- mesmerizing is the right word indeed. And to think Jaguar_King wasn't even satisfied with the world record + could have shaved off more time. Just. Epic.

By syn

Paragon (1916)

syn's picture

02-01-2016, 15:35

mars2000you wrote:

how is it not the real game? The guy plays the same game as you or or every other msx fan.

The only difference is that he is really good at it Wink

By mars2000you

mars2000you's picture

02-01-2016, 15:43

The exploration dimension of this game is missing for a big part, when you are making speedruns. Besides, I don't think the speed is the main goal in this game. That's why it's not the real game, as it was conceived by the creators, but a deviation.

By Kai Magazine

Kai Magazine's picture

02-01-2016, 15:44

I love watching speedrun videos, and "1 single coin" videos from arcade games I considered impossible to finish with a single coin.
Actually those are the 90% of youtube videos I watch.
I love to see how someone feels so passioned about a game I like, and he becomes a master.
I am uncapable of making an speedrun of a game, I do not have the skill for it (exept Life on Mars, which after SO many tests, I can make a spectacular speedrun Tongue but maybe in a few months...)
I also enjoy "angry nerd" videos, but I wonder why he never did an MSX game review... He did castlevania for NES (very interesting and funny to watch) and many other NES/MSX games, but never an MSX game.
Perhaps ALL of us should write to him requesting MSX reviews?

By syn

Paragon (1916)

syn's picture

02-01-2016, 16:54

mars2000you wrote:

He doesnt need to explore the game because he already knows it by heart/tried every possible route etc etc... a speedrun is not a lets play or longplay. Besides why would I look at someone who is exploring? I rather do it myself. I think these kinda videos are cool because they show a skill I do not (yet) possess.

I always feel these speedruns/superplays etc are tributes to a game, because with all the dedication/time put into it, how can it not be love? And personally, if I ever release a game I would think its an honor if someone does these kinda cool things in my products.

By mars2000you

mars2000you's picture

02-01-2016, 15:59

A funny deviation can indeed be seen as a nice tribute. It can also be said for remakes, alternative versions, etc...

By snout

snout's picture

02-01-2016, 16:20

I agree with syn - just think of all the hours of exploration & finding the best routes that went into all this.

By Louthrax

Prophet (2072)

Louthrax's picture

02-01-2016, 16:27

Kai Magazine wrote:

Because he's only making videos of crappy games that make him angry ? We do not have that on MSX... do we Smile ?

By ray2day

ray2day's picture

02-01-2016, 16:29

Agree with you all. Nice speedrun video, too bad of the use of the stopwatch though it's using a bug in the original game. I prefer to see the speedrun without using it.

By Kai Magazine

Kai Magazine's picture

02-01-2016, 16:43

Louthrax wrote:
Kai Magazine wrote:

LOL! good point Smile
But he also makes reviews of very good games which are extremelly difficult and frustrating, which made all of us angry when we played them at the late 80's, and we do have plenty of those on MSX (salamander, nemesis 2...)

By Kai Magazine

Kai Magazine's picture

02-01-2016, 16:46

ray2day wrote:

I just watched the Castlevania NES speedrun attached to the "related content" of this post.
Amazing. Bloddy amazing!

By Vampier

Vampier's picture

02-01-2016, 18:29

I would like to see him on Games Done Quick

By SuchAGoonie

Expert (108)

SuchAGoonie's picture

02-01-2016, 18:47

Yeah, AGDQ starts tomorrow. No Vampire Killer on the schedule, sadly. Then again, it's easy to get WR for a game that's ran by only one or two people. Vampire Killer isn't registered on Speed Demos Archive, but Jaguar_King does have their Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake WR. Played on a PS2, sadly.

02-01-2016, 22:35

The MSX game is quite more expensive Tongue

By SuchAGoonie

Expert (108)

SuchAGoonie's picture

03-01-2016, 01:02

That's true, but speedrunners generally play whatever version is the fastest, even if the game is rare. You see a lot of Japanese versions because they have less text dialogs.

By ~mk~

Master (227)

~mk~'s picture

03-01-2016, 22:13

If anyone's interested, here's my speedrun for The Goonies (little below 25 min).
It's not perfect but... it's good enough! Smile

By snout

snout's picture

03-01-2016, 22:43

~mk~ wrote:

It's not perfect but... it's good enough! Smile

BADUM-TSSSS

03-01-2016, 23:09

mk, if you're serious about it, try to submit it to speeddemosarchive.com. Tongue

By mars2000you

mars2000you's picture

03-01-2016, 23:20

It has been submitted to http://www.homeactionreplay.org/ .... Ehmm, they accept only MESS/WolfMESS as MSX emulator ...

11-01-2016, 20:49

By the way, the latest video if Jaguar_King also shows ace play of KV2 Smile

http://www.twitch.tv/jaguar_king/v/33246125 skip to 02:22:22 :)