Blender artist celebrates 30 years of MSX

Blender artist celebrates 30 years of MSX

by turbor on 16-09-2013, 21:54
Topic: MSX Related

Spanish Blender artist JuanJosé Torres used the anniversary of our beloved MSX system as an opportunity to model parts of his childhood memories. The result is an amazingly photo-realistic rendering of some iconic Philips New Media System items. The result can be found on the Blender artist forums.

Later on he used the created the models to "get some Gradius on the monitor". The result is an amazing picture that can be found at blenderartists.org.

Relevant link: Philips MSX VG-8020 - A look at our digital past

By Meits

Meits's picture

17-09-2013, 11:16

Wow... Now that is very well done... _O_

By ro

Guardian (4085)

ro's picture

17-09-2013, 15:52

Amazing details, the fingerprints, the damages and so on. wow.
And how cool is that viper Smile

next: make me a render of what the MSX3 standard would have been like Running Naked in a Field of Flowers

17-09-2013, 19:57

Weird that he modeled damage to the casing and scratches and smudgtes... I prefer a perfect looking one Smile

By arnold_m

Master (173)

arnold_m's picture

21-09-2013, 21:42

I think it is not weird at all. It looks quite realistic now. If the artist would have tried to render a perfect looking one, the result would probably have been a picture so slick that one would recognise the computer in the image as a digital rendering.
A computer that has actually been used for a long time is likely to have some scratches and fingerprints and I prefer that over an old machine that looks perfect, but has never really been used.

By Juan José Torres

Supporter (7)

Juan José Torres's picture

23-09-2013, 07:55

Thank you everyone for the kind comments. arnold_m is quite right about the reasons why I created a worn out computer. Usually CG artists need to add these touches to create more believable images, and this is specially true when it comes to retro hardware. Also in my defense I would like to point out that most of the VG-8020's in the pictures I used as reference for this work were in similar conditions or even worse. Wink

Anyway, this was a great personal project and I'm really happy to see people enjoying its results. I hope everyone is having a happy 30th anniversary. Big smile

24-09-2013, 16:04

We once had the idea to have a physical (vector) model of the MSX included with the hardware configuration files that come with openMSX. In order to see what kind of machine you are running there (and then you also understand why it has no diskdrive for example). For that, I'd like to have 'perfect' models Smile

By pitpan

pitpan's picture

24-09-2013, 20:53

Love it! Good job indeed!

By Juan José Torres

Supporter (7)

Juan José Torres's picture

01-10-2013, 11:31

@Manuel: I guess you could draw a simple layout for each model using Inkscape. Much easier than modeling one full 3D object per model, I think. Smile

@pitpan: Thanks! Smile

01-10-2013, 22:46

I'm not a modeler... but 3D would be coolest of course. So you can view the machine from all angles. Very nice to preserve the design of these machines as well!

By andrear1979

Expert (93)

andrear1979's picture

14-10-2013, 21:39

I had that same cassette player (now defunct Sad ) for about 25 years...
Juan you did an excellent job! I noticed a (minor and not diminishing
the artwork quality) "bug": the green light used to turn on only while
playing a tape. How about version 2 with a "wait loading..." screen? Big smile

Thanks for sharing, regards!