rMSX 1.3 Freeware edition

by NYYRIKKI on 01-04-2016, 21:04
Topic: Emulation

Some of you may remember rMSX, the MSX & MSX2 emulator for MSX turbo R... NYYRIKKI promised this to become freeware in 2015 and if your computers clock has been running fine you might have noticed that there is no more full screen size "nag screen" popping out on every boot.

However a lot of the people remove the batteries from their computers in order to prevent battery leakage, so here is now a version where all the protections have been removed. This version also has a fix for loading CAS-files that was only shipped to registered users in 2009.

So... what exactly is rMSX again and what you can do with it?

rMSX is an MSX & MSX2 emulator for MSX turbo R. The best feature is probably that it allows you to play cassette and disk games directly from HDD and return back to DOS after playing. For the most authentic experience you can even enable I/O sound emulation so that you can hear cassette relay clicks and disk drive spinning sounds while loading. For cassette loading this program has also autorun feature so that you don't have to remember correct the load commands. This program is also great for making game start menus, because you can swap disks and cassettes directly from the emulated computers' BASIC. This also works for multidisk games).There are also some other features that may make the games look like you used to know them... For MSX1 you can ie. enable the TMS9918 palette or even have green monitor emulation. For the full list of features check out the readme.txt in the download!

To use this program you need an MSX turbo R with MSX-DOS2 loaded and your favorite MSX1 or MSX2 ROM dumps. Using Japanese versions is highly recommended in order to have the same keyboard layout as on your turbo R.

Happy gaming!

Relevant link: rMSX 1.3 Freeware edition

By Victor

Victor's picture

03-04-2016, 22:02

WoW!!

Great news!! Thank you!!

By edoz

edoz's picture

05-04-2016, 12:49

Cool program! Would it be possible to port something for SymbOS ? Like a virtualmachine Big smile

It's so super cool this! i love this program bdw! Especially that you can escape the emulator!

By NYYRIKKI

NYYRIKKI's picture

06-04-2016, 11:32

This is not exactly a virtual machine although it may look & feel like one (That would be way too slow for any practical usage)... That is also why you can't run it on foreign environment.

By Retrofan

Retrofan's picture

06-04-2016, 19:55

Hi NYYRIKKI, thanks for the freeware version. However, I found a bug: RMSX /? doesn't show the options anymore, only some assembly. Or is this a joke? LOL!

With Aleste 2 first gamedisk I cannot exit to DOS2. Also tried Columns and with this one I can exit to DOS2.

I don't hear MSX-MUSIC with Sunrise Magazine 12 (SRM). You can download it in the MRC database. MSX-AUDIO isn't supported?

With MFR SCC+ SD 512kB version you need to disable the RAM expansion (cursor key UP + N, during boot). Otherwise RMSX doesn't work.

Can you enable R800 on Turbo-R during loading times like RUNIT does?
And can we speed up games using R800 when neccessary with a keycombination?

Great program! Cool concept: MSX2 emulator on MSX turbo R Cool with .CAS support!

By NYYRIKKI

NYYRIKKI's picture

07-04-2016, 13:52

Retrofan wrote:

No, I have no idea what happened... Maybe I used different version of compiler than before... (This may require some more investigation) Now I anyway compiled again and it seems to work. Fixed version is here. If some of the admins feel like updating the MRC database it would be great.

Quote:

Indeed it is not possible to exit during gameplay. How ever when you are dying, you can exit the game. This same goes for some other games as well... If you can't enter the menu at present time, try again ie. when game is loading next stage or something.

Quote:

I expect that there is problem with MSX-MUSIC initialization routine. MSX-MUSIC ROM is not supported at the moment and this magazine may expect it to be present & active. There is also no any support routines for MSX-AUDIO, Moonsound etc. If games use them directly then it is fine, but especially if they activate interrupts or do something like that then this may cause problems.

Quote:

Oh, I didn't know that it works with MFR at all... Doesn't this use Nextor? At least on some point someone told me that this does not work with Nextor, but I really don't know what is the situation at the moment. Any external RAM can be problematic with this software, so: Yes, I recommend disconnecting them. In order to make things work smoothly I do pretty nonstandard stuff... and quite a lot... please forgive me. :)

Quote:

Can you enable R800 on Turbo-R during loading times like RUNIT does?

Hey, it's already loading WAY TOO FAST considering that it should be giving you a feeling that you are loading from floppy / cassette. How much speed do you really need? :)

Quote:

And can we speed up games using R800 when neccessary with a keycombination?

Hmm... yes, I think this has been requested also before. I think I should implement that although all games don't like that and it is not something you can do on real MSX/MSX2... Changing CPU inside emulation is anyway quite a bit more tricky than on normal MSX tR program as I can't exit the emulation to change CPU because of interrupt issues and I can't switch CPU inside emulation because of program counter issue. (At the moment I don't take R800 with me to the emulation layer at all because MSX/MSX2 does not support it.) I think I may need to reconsider the whole way I'm handling the CPU switch issues at the moment, but when ever I continue with this project I will take a better look at this again.

By mars2000you

mars2000you's picture

30-12-2017, 18:35

I've just made an amazing test with rMSX used in blueMSX. I've replaced the MSX2 roms by MSX2+ roms and it seems that rMSX can also emulate a MSX2+ on a Turbo R machine.

However, I'm intrigued by the RAM size indicated when booting (see screenshot). Any explanation? I've used the generic MSX Turbo R machine of blueMSX, with 512kB RAM. Does the difference correspond to the RAM used by rMSX?

By Grauw

Grauw's picture

30-12-2017, 18:44

In the turboR’s DRAM mode, 64K RAM is used to contain the (emulated machine’s) BIOS and access to those segments is blocked by the S1990. So it isn’t detected by the MSX2+ BIOS’s memory counting routines.

By mars2000you