MSX.emu 1.4.1 hits Android Market

by snout on 09-08-2011, 19:22
Topic: Emulation

Followers of this topic in our active MSX forum already knew it was coming. Today, the first version of MSX.emu, an MSX emulator for Android based on blueMSX, has been released. One of the interesting features of this emulator is support for the iControlPad, a bluetooth gaming controller that makes it a lot easier to control games. The emulator is available without ROMs, for a price of $7.99.

Relevant link: MSX.emu on Android market

By Paulbrk

Hero (611)

Paulbrk's picture

09-08-2011, 20:02

Wow, just what I was waiting for 2 years!!! A very good MSX emulator for my Android mobile. Smile

By uberjack

Master (223)

uberjack's picture

09-08-2011, 20:47

No offense, but eight dollars for a mobile app? That's just silly.

By Meits

Meits's picture

09-08-2011, 22:12

Indeed... Thanks but no thanks...

By pitpan

pitpan's picture

10-08-2011, 14:58

I think that it is a fair price. Specially if you consider that at the moment there aren't many options Wink

By dvik

dvik's picture

10-08-2011, 21:17

Very cool indeed. I don't think the price is too high considering what you get. Too bad though that I sold my HTC Sad I guess I need to get a new one Wink

By turbor

turbor's picture

10-08-2011, 21:50

uberjack & Meits: The emulator is covered under the GPL (GPLv3 according to his site) since it is derived from BlueMSX which is also GPL'ed.
So you could ask him for the sources and build your own...
Or you can legally copy the binary from somebody else of course Smile

By pitpan

pitpan's picture

12-08-2011, 09:35

Hum. I got confussed. I thought this one was the "final" version of fMSX for Android coded by Marat. If it's derived from BlueMSX, then all GPL terms do apply.

By dvik

dvik's picture

13-08-2011, 20:31

Yeah, MSX.emu has nothing to do with fMSX. I believe fMSX android is currently free. With MSX.emu you get a better emulation core though. It would be nice if someone could make a short comparison between the two. I still need to get myself an android phone. Too bad I gave my old one away.

By Sarcasmic

Master (149)

Sarcasmic's picture

23-08-2011, 16:29

what abouth the MSX copyrights?
also its lame to use some one else his source... and then sell it Evil evil policy !!!!!!
why doesnt the original holder of the copyrights on msx stop this?? is this legal?? no i think not....
i would never buy this insanely pricy emulator its a real rip off lol it should be free like his other ripoff emulator snes 9x...maybe he could be fair and pay 50% to the author of blue msx (fair trade) instead of just being lazy and rip the hard labour of some one else and make a buck out of it Smile in my eyes its a bit unfair dont you guys think... how much hours went in blue msx from the start till now... 100's of hours i guess??
Respect to the REAL programmers of BLUEMSX

By Huey

Huey's picture

23-08-2011, 23:42

@sarcasmic: Well the license of blueMSX makes it possible I think for others to port the code to other platforms......

By dvik

dvik's picture

24-08-2011, 01:56

Well, as the founder and main contributor of blueMSX I can say that I fully support this and other ports. The emulator is really designed to be ported easily to practically any target. The amount of work put into blueMSX is really in the 1000's of hours but it is released under GPL with the hopes that others will use it and contribute to it. The most intersting ports so far are I think this one and the WII port. Both are excellent ports and both are feeding code back into the mainline source. Just like GPL is supposed to work. So it is really a win-win. This and other ports does improve the quality of the baseline version which I think is great. It is up to each porting team to decide how they want to distribute it and make some pocket money out of it as long as they honor the GPL license.