Your opinion on the iraq situation

Page 1/5
| 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

By Bart

Paragon (1422)

Bart's picture

07-02-2003, 01:23

You might have guessed it, but I'm against a war in iraq. Are there any MSX'ers from Iraq or around Iraq have anything to say? Also all other MSX fans, what's your opinion on this war threat by the USA?

Login or register to post comments

By snout

Ascended (15184)

snout's picture

07-02-2003, 01:52

I always wonder why a country like America claims that it's bad when a country owns weapons of mass-destruction.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like Saddam at all.. but euhm... my guess is that America has enough power to destroy the earth at least seven times. Also their 'proof' is more a list of hearsay and assumptions.

By LaFey

Supporter (12)

LaFey's picture

07-02-2003, 04:14

My 2 cents: (actually I got a bit carried away...)

If US wants to find weapons of mass destructions why doesn't the inspectors go to Israel - the world recordist of UN resolutions breaking? Bahhh... Bush thinks we are all blind... What a convenient thing to have a puppet government in Iraq - good for the gold coffers that is.

I think Saddam is a old-fashined dictator and he should be eliminated. The problem is that I don't like this US patronizing attitude and they're covered up "fascism". I pitty the US citizens for not having access to non-censured media information.

9/11 - A dreadfull thing to have happened - but one day something similar had to happen... So many bombs in hospitals in Kosovo, Afghanistan, etc - the ghosts had to claim something back...

Europe - I hope EU had a common front in this matter - not silly support letters signed by some leaders, while others go the other way. I am thankfull for the US support during the WWII but this is getting a bit offhand... Why the hell should EU support US imperialism? Question

By Latok

msx guru (3866)

Latok's picture

07-02-2003, 09:30

Well....I don't like American culture, that's for sure. But Powell convinced me about the necessity of military action against Iraq. The Saddam regime (I call it the regime, because I'm not sure at all if Saddam is still alive) is a threat for the region and something has got to be done against that.

I think you're all judging a little bit too easy that America is acting arrogant, imperialistic etc. You mustn't forget America simply is the only world superpower left. It's just the way it is. And for America, that's not only a positive thing. It also brings responsabilities. And I'm glad this 'policeman' of the world lives by the rules of the 'Declaration of Independence'...What if it would have been some 'gangster'? The world would be horrible.
I really believe you should at least have some respect for all those American soldiers going to some place in the dessert to fight for.....for what? Global peace, war against terror, economical issues?

Bart, of course war sucks. I totally agree. I'm sure 99.99% of all humans agree on this. It's just a bit too easy to give America the full load here...Especially if it concerns the current Iraq issue. As I said before, Powell convinced me. There must be done something against it. Current Saddam regime is really a threat for world peace.

By BiFi

Enlighted (4348)

BiFi's picture

07-02-2003, 11:09

I'm against war... period...

Though looking back to the past Bush reign in the US I wasn't surprised when this Bush started to talk about war and Iraq in one sentence in his so-called war against terrorism (I have my own ideas about the US and that other dude which will remain nameless, though I'll keep that to myself). Since the talk about Iraq it became completely quiet regarding 'the man who shall remain nameless'.

Powell's talk can be quite convincing. On the other hand, digital images can be quite easilly manipulated. Even when the US is the only world's superpower, it doesn't automatically mean they can rule the world.

By Latok

msx guru (3866)

Latok's picture

07-02-2003, 11:27

It looks like you all would rather see that nothing happens in Iraq. That the Saddam regime just can continue. That surprises me very much, really.

By Latok

msx guru (3866)

Latok's picture

07-02-2003, 11:29

And don't say you DO want that something should be done in Iraq. Then you're all just being ignorant. The only country which is capable of taking actions is America. And be thankful to that. I admit it, I'm a sissy. I'm damned glad I don't have to go there to fight......

By BiFi

Enlighted (4348)

BiFi's picture

07-02-2003, 12:59

Maybe it's just me, but why do I think we should be careful nothing like the middle east happens on our own country?

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (116)

anonymous's picture

07-02-2003, 13:53

I say carpet-bomb them!

They broke 16 UN resolutions already! And it's obvious they are just playing games and while doing so executing their masterplan for the destruction of America (and several other countries in the world and the region).
Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of America, in fact I think its puritan and moralistic policies are hyprocrit and its influence dangerous, but Iraq is even more dangerous.

You can't keep giving people last chances over and over again, there has to be a time you say "Enough, no further". What has to be done, has to be done.

Besides some destruction, I can only see good things coming from this. Stability in the region, one dictator less in the world, better trade possibilities, and the most important of all, the freedom of the Iraqi population.

By Grauw

Ascended (10564)

Grauw's picture

07-02-2003, 15:31

I think there are other means to reach the desired goal - making Iraq less of a threat - than war. Sure, probably America is about the only one who can make a difference but do they have to use an all-out war for that? Anyways, Powell's speach was disturbing, however I am no weapons expert and the UN inspectors are, so who am I to judge. That's exactly what the Americans want, to influence the opinion of the common people who are no experts and only know that they find what they see disturbing, but can't put things in perspective. So I'd rather trust the Inspectors' judgement and act based on that (which is what the UN will do, however the US are trying to rush it), than make up my own opinion based on some disturbing photos. I bet sattelite photos of American military grounds can be *very* disturbing aswell.

Heh, Latok, sure I want to do something in Iraq. I think everyone agrees on that here. However not by the means of war, I agree with BiFi here... I'm against war, and there's a period. War is dispicable, the military is a profession where people *kill* other people, and it should never be used as a fast means to reach one's goal. Again, there are other means, they may not be as fast or as simple or as effective but in my opinion everything else is better than war. If they want to use war it should really only be used as a final resort (for example when all other options have worn out completely, or if Iraq chooses to attack or there is solid proof that an attack is imminent - but basically if America starts the war, *they* are the aggressors).

Oh, and I don't believe America having manipulated those photos. I however do believe in some cases they see things which aren't what they think they are, and even if they are what they think they are they shouldn't do it their own way but respect the UN inspectors, their findings and their opinions. That Europe isn't united in their stance is a shame, but so be it, and actually I'm glad countries like France and Germany dare to take a stance against the America's war propaganda. Also the Netherlands is (under the influence of the PvdA which is now in the government) drawing from their stance in the previous government which was that we would support the US even without UN consensus.

About breaking UN resolutions - well, let's carpet-bomb Israel then, shall we? ;p

~Grauw

By Bart

Paragon (1422)

Bart's picture

07-02-2003, 21:06

I worked for about a half year at the OPCW, the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons. Hundreds of people from all over the world are working full-time overthere to collect information about the world's chemical weapons. Who has them, where they are, etc. And believe me, Iraq is a country they've got kilo's and kilo's of documents on. BUT, I'm for one particularly afraid of what will happen if the US attacks.

IF Saddam does have those weapons, who says he won't use them, once the US bombs start dropping? And for sure the UK will be a target then. And guess who's only hunderds of kilometers away from the UK?

The US is convinced he's got the shit, then how are to going to make sure he won't use that once they're going to attack. The US is away far enough to use a rocket shield against chemical missiles... Europe isn't. Thank you mr. bush. Sad

Page 1/5
| 2 | 3 | 4 | 5