Sorcerer Lulba 2 (Compile 1988) patch - Help needed! [Already fixed thank you everyone!]

By DrWh0

Paladin (812)

DrWh0's picture

12-12-2020, 16:44

Hi everyone!

I "discovered" that all dumps I found on the internet of the game "Sorcerer Lulba 2 (Compile) (1988)" are defective due to a broken graphic resource file called "LUL2D.DAT".

So I made a new header and I made a patch in order to make the game fully playable but the file is damaged therefore some graphics are broken.

The patch:

https://github.com/Dalekamistoso/parches-ips-msx/releases/do...

Therefore I need a proper dump to replace broken files and check additional errors in order to make a full IPS patch that repairs defective copies.

So I am looking for help, if someone who has a copy of that file, an working image of the game or the original and make me a new disk image please, send it to me :)

Thanks in advance ;)

EDIT:

imulilla provided me the diff chains, thank you!

Already fixed! thank you everyone new IPS update soon!

Login or register to post comments

By tfh

Prophet (2691)

tfh's picture

12-12-2020, 18:26

Looking forward to the full fix IPS!

By DrWh0

Paladin (812)

DrWh0's picture

12-12-2020, 19:11

Here you have Smile

Lulba 2 fix:

Lulba 1 english translation converted to IPS from Bifi´s & MSXTranslations MIA files for easy patching:

Additional MSX IPS patches here:

https://github.com/Dalekamistoso/parches-ips-msx

Enjoy!

By tfh

Prophet (2691)

tfh's picture

12-12-2020, 19:32

Thanks. I've added the fixed Lulba 2 & Translated Lulba 1 to the downloadsite for ones convenience.

By DrWh0

Paladin (812)

DrWh0's picture

12-12-2020, 19:36

Glad to help!

By Takamichi

Champion (440)

Takamichi's picture

14-12-2020, 10:09

To begin with, Lulba 2 is the subsidiary of the Disc Station #2 disk 2 (that includes proper LUL2D.DAT) and to be started by choosing [2] BASIC -> lulba2.bas. It was never sold by itself. What is the origin of the independent version?

By Sylvester

Champion (502)

Sylvester's picture

14-12-2020, 12:50

I guess somebody just copied the files from the Disc Stations and made a single disk of it for each version that automatically starts the game.

By DrWh0

Paladin (812)

DrWh0's picture

14-12-2020, 13:31

It seems so, but I don´t have any confirmation of it and various collections out there claims to have an independent versions but all are third party dumps from Tosec, this applies also to "Randar I" and many others.

I don´t have a list of the software included in "disc station" and I asked a friend if that game was in the magazine but it seems that could be inside of the disc but not in the main menu (maybe inside some sub-menu, but without japanese knowledge is very hard to check it).

I know it was a freeware game published on a magazine but I didn't have the original media to verify which one.

There is also a lot of missing and disordered dumps of discstations with disc numbers exchanged and badly dumped discs so I am not sure if are correct.

But, just in case I made a patch for that version.

Anyway I would be grateful if someone can publish a list of the software inside those magazines & disks with correct and verified order so I will have not to spend my time patching defective unofficial versions.

This really piss me off because there are a HUGE quantity of non existent game dumps and others that originally comes inside a compilation or magazine.

By Sylvester

Champion (502)

Sylvester's picture

14-12-2020, 16:58

The Madoushi lulba games are released on the Compile Disc Stations:

- Disc station #1-2 ([2] BASIC, lulba.bas)
- Disc Station #2-2 ([2] BASIC, lulba2.bas)
- Disc Station #4-2 ([2] BASIC, lulba3.bas)
- Disc Station Deluxe 2 - Madoushi Lulba (Disk 1)

And here is a wiki with all the games: https://w.atwiki.jp/discstation/pages/506.html#dsmsx (Google translate does a very nice job :) )

By DrWh0

Paladin (812)

DrWh0's picture

14-12-2020, 17:13

Sincerely, thank you very much!

If I would had this information before I would have saved a lot of time.

In the positive view at least I fixed the broken TOSEC release that exists in multiple collections, but still piss me off the time I spent fixing this.

This is why in MSX scene we need a clear and VERIFIED listing of real disks instead of a collection full of hacks and pirated copies.

I understand that cracked games are useful for the future of the software, in fact is a needing (compability with future hardware equivalents, emulators, study of softwar, physical media of the future, etc).

But releasing unofficial releases only adds confusions to preservers and spoils the real software story of MSX and makes some people spend a lot of time and effort finding unexisting software.

Thanks again Sylvester and Takamichi for your information!

By Takamichi

Champion (440)

Takamichi's picture

15-12-2020, 12:03

The Best of DS .# famous to fail when booted with CTRL pushed is one such pirated collection that had nothing to do with Compile.

Disc Stations and their manuals are supposed to be cross referenced and sometimes one needs to read the manual to know what kind of stuffs like reader submitted applications are inaccessible from the menu. Archive.org has only about 1/3 of the manuals and sometimes even the manual doesn't help. For instance DS#11 manual page 23 says "read the magazine and you will know" hinting the writer didn't know what would be in the MSX Magazine and MSX FAN sections, even misspelling as NSX Magazine ;)
Disc Stations are relatively easy to find and cheap but buying the entire collection is budget demanding and later issues are protected, though DMK might work.