Running MSX AUDIO supported cartridge with NMS1205 Music Module

Page 5/6
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | | 6

By Eugeny_Brychkov

Paragon (1169)

Eugeny_Brychkov's picture

17-09-2020, 12:43

Seems so. Then use stack for temp data. Why not switching Nextor mapper data pages in CPU bank 3 (c000-ffff) to access data? I suspect that most of the cases this bank will contain main RAM, which is in known location for the system and will be returned back to after reading the required data from another page.

By Grauw

Ascended (9338)

Grauw's picture

17-09-2020, 13:08

I don't think Nextor is doing anything wrong. I never understood the practice where cartridges set the stack to F380H. They should respect HIMEM or you're just asking for trouble. Especially if said cartridges hook H.STKE to allow ROMs in other slots to initialize before running.

By NYYRIKKI

Enlighted (5595)

NYYRIKKI's picture

17-09-2020, 16:58

Indeed, I think Grauw is right here... I don't think that Nextor should be heavily modified because there is some game that fails to do things right... If the EXTBIO is there just for DOS2 mapper support then I think the init should be skipped in this kind of case, but if EXTBIO is really needed for something then it is the game that should be fixed instead... a bit tough luck for original cartridge owners as they need to disable Nextor manually, but it is anyway just inconvenience.

By Eugeny_Brychkov

Paragon (1169)

17-09-2020, 17:26

Agreed. Let Nestor consider my report, and turn it down if he decides to. Well, if he has time maybe he will review his EXTBIO code to see what can be improved in there Smile

By sdsnatcher73

Paragon (1143)

sdsnatcher73's picture

17-09-2020, 20:25

NYYRIKKI wrote:

Indeed, I think Grauw is right here... I don't think that Nextor should be heavily modified because there is some game that fails to do things right... If the EXTBIO is there just for DOS2 mapper support then I think the init should be skipped in this kind of case, but if EXTBIO is really needed for something then it is the game that should be fixed instead... a bit tough luck for original cartridge owners as they need to disable Nextor manually, but it is anyway just inconvenience.

I agree, the game is at fault. It should be fixed (or just tagged as Nextor incompatible). It is also be possible to use MSX-AUDIO on GR8NET without the Nextor kernel being active (right?).

By Eugeny_Brychkov

Paragon (1169)

17-09-2020, 20:46

sdsnatcher73 wrote:

It is also be possible to use MSX-AUDIO on GR8NET without the Nextor kernel being active (right?).

I am working on it right now. Currently in testing phase.

By sd_snatcher

Prophet (3348)

sd_snatcher's picture

17-09-2020, 22:51

Eugeny_Brychkov wrote:

I'm not having too much free time right now, so this is just a quick reply, ok?

My educated guess is that after the CALL AUDIO, the MSX-Audio BIOS activates the OPL1 timers, probably while the PLAY command is running. And an interrupt might be happening just in the middle of a click, stretching it. The effect will probably be less noticeable on a machine with turbo.

By Takamichi

Champion (381)

Takamichi's picture

19-09-2020, 19:06

@manuel: when openMSX FS-CA1 was emulated, did its developer have its circuit diagram? If it ever was available can you show it to Eugeny_Brychkov?

By Manuel

Ascended (16962)

Manuel's picture

20-09-2020, 00:08

Takamichi: we got the information from 'atarulum' in 2002 and implemented it then. Last real changes were made in 2008. So that's a long time ago, but I think the answer is: no circuit diagram was used when implementing the emulation.

By Takamichi

Champion (381)

Takamichi's picture

20-09-2020, 07:26

I remember Atarulum. So He was such an important figure. If I am able to obtain FS-CA1, drawing circuit diagram out of PCB may be last resort.

Page 5/6
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | | 6