msx-dos2 on msx8250 possible?

Page 2/3
1 | | 3

By hamlet

Scribe (3685)

hamlet's picture

22-02-2020, 09:30

Haha!
Then you will love the MSX, because there is almost nothing new to buy here.
Well, I understand you well. I also love my floppy disk collection and sometimes I load a game from tape. An SD solution makes these processes just easier and faster.
I am sure that you can achieve a lot on your track. And you will have a lot of fun.
A DOS2 cartridge is easy to get used, maybe you are even thinking about buying an IDE interface, so you can feel the advantages of DOS2.

By Wlcracks

Champion (440)

Wlcracks's picture

22-02-2020, 09:32

Really recommend the carts. Your missing out. I don't think its cheating. Its real hardware. Is a floppy drive in 1986 vs cassette in 1983 cheating? Meh, just upgrading existing hardware.
Buying these carts new promotes the development for new MSX hardware, that should be a good thing.
I even use them on a vg8000 works perfectly, only MSX2 and up games do not run for some minor reason...
Like hamlet says, the GR8NET is the most insane there is. The rest is fine too.

By kees87y4

Supporter (9)

kees87y4's picture

22-02-2020, 10:46

e.g.space manbow and sofarun

By gdx

Enlighted (4718)

gdx's picture

22-02-2020, 10:52

There are several ways to run MSX-DOS2. You can use a simple MegaFlashROM and write Nextor or the patched MSX-DOS2 of the link above.
You can use also a ESE-RAM. With that you will have the MSX-DOS2 and Sram-disk.
I made disk images for a 512kB ESE-RAM, but it can be also used with a simple Mega(flash)Rom to make a recovery disk with utilities for a flash card interface for example. It works perfectly even on MSX1 with a Memory mapper.

By Grauw

Ascended (10074)

Grauw's picture

22-02-2020, 11:18

For me, who grow up with MSX in the late and post-commercial area, an MSX2 with MSX-DOS2 and hard drive interfaces like IDE and SCSI has been what I am used to. Using disk interfaces is an integral part of the extensible MSX architecture. Then Sunrise released the CF-IDE interface in 1998 which allowed me to get rid of the bulky and often-failing external hard drives and use a convenient small CF card instead (just an adapter really since CF uses IDE internally), and I’ve been using flash drives ever since.

If we talk about novelty, for me the FlashROM cartridges are a much more new experience (though very nice), I only got my first in 2014. However to play ROMs on real MSX-es, these are really the only good option aside from buying the originals. The “authentic experience” for ROMs (that I didn’t own) for me was to play disk cracks of ROMs on a memory mapper, however those often didn’t work properly.

So I guess the real question is, which authentic experience are you looking for? Early 80s authentic, which means MSX1 and cassette tapes and cartridges, late 80s authentic, meaning MSX2 and disks and cartridges, or 90s authentic which means MSX2 with 7MHz, MSX2+ or turboR, hard drives, memory mappers, slot expanders, audio cartridges, etc. The latter is my childhood Smile.

By NYYRIKKI

Enlighted (5880)

NYYRIKKI's picture

22-02-2020, 12:09

I also think that old medias have some magic on them... I still could not completely get rid of disks as I feel, I would definitely lose something in the process... Not that many years ago, I also decided to see what I have inside an old MSX HDD I used to use in the 90's... I must say I lifted automatically my elbow to protect my face when the thing started to spin up and that jet engine-like sound filled the room... It was followed by the self test that sounded like someone is cooking popcorn inside... I must say it made me a bit worried and to wonder, was it really THAT loud on the 90's? ... I ended up in to conclusion that yes... Yes, it probably really was that loud, I've just forgotten all these fancy details and got used to the silence we have today... The data was all there, so anyway it was working like intended.

By DarkSchneider

Paladin (942)

DarkSchneider's picture

22-02-2020, 13:05

Flash memory is so quite Big smile

Grauw wrote:

For me, who grow up with MSX in the late and post-commercial area, an MSX2 with MSX-DOS2 and hard drive interfaces like IDE and SCSI has been what I am used to. Using disk interfaces is an integral part of the extensible MSX architecture. Then Sunrise released the CF-IDE interface in 1998 which allowed me to get rid of the bulky and often-failing external hard drives and use a convenient small CF card instead (just an adapter really since CF uses IDE internally), and I’ve been using flash drives ever since.

Even being a classic user, I think that is the way. The eXstensible is what MSX have over other closed architectures, and getting stuck in 80s is not interesting at all for me.

By kees87y4

Supporter (9)

kees87y4's picture

23-02-2020, 09:22

DarkSchneider wrote:

Even being a classic user, I think that is the way. The eXstensible is what MSX have over other closed architectures, and getting stuck in 80s is not interesting at all for me.

Its a bit blunt to say it like that but at least it is honest. I am now also looking into buying a flashrom cartridge.

By kees87y4

Supporter (9)

kees87y4's picture

23-02-2020, 09:36

Robosoft wrote:

It is not possible with this setup. You need a dos2 cartridge or other solution (megaflashrom , carnivore2 etc) to run dos2.

Does the same answer apply to nextor?

By Robosoft

Expert (97)

Robosoft's picture

23-02-2020, 12:21

Yes, Nextor is a enhanced DOS2 developed bij Konamiman. It can handle a lot more than the old dos, like fat16, .dsk images etc.

Page 2/3
1 | | 3