MSX-DOS versions and clones, a small recap

Page 2/2
1 |

By Briqunullus

Champion (335)

Briqunullus's picture

05-11-2020, 18:50

NYYRIKKI wrote:

The location of the string is also passed to command parser in HL

This might be the case in Basic, I haven't looked up the details. All I can say is how this command.com works. Like all other command.com's, there is a table inside with all commands in ASCII and a pointer to the address to process the command. Each command then parses the command line to search for its arguments. For the newly added CMD command however, the pointer points directly to the hook. No code has been added, so there is no preparation, no nothing. It calls the hook instantaneously.

If only we had a working example of a MSX-DOS CMD command...

By Briqunullus

Champion (335)

Briqunullus's picture

05-11-2020, 19:04

NYYRIKKI wrote:

my simple test (create dir, create file in dir, try to delete dir, remove created file, remove dir)

There is an article on the MF-DOS page that explains how it's done. Basically it can't read subdirectories at all. It only fools the system with reading from different sectors when you are inside a subdir. Also, the article warns explicitly for deleting non empty dirs.

So yeah, it won't pass the test. Which is a shame, because it's such an achievement the guy has pulled this off. If it were perfect, this could be a dream MSX-DOS version. As is it for now, I'd say use it for read-only access to subdirs.

I haven't put SOLX-DOS 1.5 to the test. I just briefly checked the features.

By ~mk~

Champion (287)

~mk~'s picture

06-11-2020, 02:36

Briqunullus wrote:
~mk~ wrote:

I am trying to compile the MSX-DOS version modified by Telematica, perhaps you or someone can help me with the errors I am getting.

I think you are trying to link MSX-DOS with the Disk-ROM files. You don't need to. Just assemble and link each file separately:

  • m80 =msxdos.mac
  • m80 =command.mac
  • l80 msxdos,msxdos
  • l80 command, command
  • ren msxdos.com msxdos.sys

That's for the 1.10 rev A version. If you want 1.20 rev B use msxdos1.mac and comand1.mac instead.

Hi Briqunullus, and thank you. I see, no need to link everything together. Much simpler, however I still can't get it working.
Tried under both MSX-DOS 1.x (two different versions) and also under MSX-DOS 2.
No luck, no matter which rev version I always get during the link stage a bunch of:
%Overlaying Data area
%Overlaying Program area
Data 0100 0F5D < 3677>

The last numbers change depending on which I try to compile (msxdos/command) but both fail.

By NYYRIKKI

Enlighted (5742)

NYYRIKKI's picture

06-11-2020, 03:23

Briqunullus wrote:

For the newly added CMD command however, the pointer points directly to the hook. No code has been added, so there is no preparation, no nothing. It calls the hook instantaneously.

Yes, obviously I was wrong. Currently I think this has been used just because "no one will use this hook anyway".

Briqunullus wrote:

So yeah, it won't pass the test. Which is a shame, because it's such an achievement the guy has pulled this off. If it were perfect, this could be a dream MSX-DOS version. As is it for now, I'd say use it for read-only access to subdirs.

I don't want to put anyone down because of such a small mistake. I also think the feature is nothing short of a very complicated magic trick. It just frustrates me a bit that after all those impossible things have been done, such a simple check has been forgotten. Saying "read-only" also sounds like overkill based on what you say... Just "don't do stupid things" might be enough.

Quote:

I haven't put SOLX-DOS 1.5 to the test. I just briefly checked the features.

It seems really nice, but same time so close and yet so far from the goal... I'm not a big fan of information it has added or the way it formats ie. DIR-listings, the language or the fact it uses custom boot sector, but I feel almost ready to cope with these things... In reality I'm not ready to do that because I don't have to. I much rather take official MSX-DOS & MU, bite the lips and drop the directory support.

By Briqunullus

Champion (335)

Briqunullus's picture

06-11-2020, 09:26

NYYRIKKI wrote:

Saying "read-only" also sounds like overkill based on what you say... Just "don't do stupid things" might be enough.

Yeah you're right. We're no kiddies anymore. With the expertise of the current MSX user base, it's better to say "if you know what you're doing, you'll be fine". Thing is, we can only guess why it hasn't been fully implemented. My initial thought was that it would need a lot of extra code, but it doesn't. On deletion, move into subdirectory (code already available), verify if empty (just one search), move out of subdirectory again. If these were the nineties, I'm sure someone would improve it, especially with the technical information available.

About SOLX-DOS, this one's a beta version. Maybe it has been fixed afterwards. Anybody knows?

Oh, and I didn't know about that mu.com utility. That's a nice one as well!

By Briqunullus

Champion (335)

Briqunullus's picture

06-11-2020, 09:32

~mk~ wrote:

I see, no need to link everything together. Much simpler, however I still can't get it working.

I'm so sorry, I forgot about the switches. The correct link command is:

  • l80 msxdos,msxdos/e/n

By ~mk~

Champion (287)

~mk~'s picture

07-11-2020, 00:09

Wonderful, it's working now!!! thank you Smile

Page 2/2
1 |