C2 Dual slot on AX-170

By wbahnassi

Expert (118)

wbahnassi's picture

26-05-2020, 14:12

First of all thanks Carnivore2 team for the great stuff in the latest firmware update. I was really looking forward playing with the new dual slot feature on my AX-170. This cute Arabic MSX1 machine has two cartridge slots labeled 1 and 2. I noticed I can only use C2 in slot 1, and then C2MAN40 recognizes the slot number as 20!
If I put C2 in slot 2 I get an error message and C2 refuses to go into the boot menu, saying "Unusable slot! System Halted!"
Now with C2 in slot 1, you go into the boot menu and try to assign any ROM to the second slot (either by pressing 2 or from the dual slot screen), but the request is ignored and slot 2 is kept empty.

You mentioned Alexey that dual slot requires an empty second cartridge slot, which is the case here, but for some reason.. this machine's config seems to confuse C2. FWIW, game combos DO work on this machine (e.g. Salamander+Nemesis2, but with graphical corruptions in the Nemesis 2 level, but it plays fine).

I also can confirm that on AX-350 everything works fine with dual slot, so it's the fault of the AX-170 config specifically.

So, if cartridge slot 1 on AX-170 is 20, then what is cartridge slot 2? oO And why is the machine built like that?

Login or register to post comments

By Manuel

Ascended (16981)

Manuel's picture

26-05-2020, 14:21

On the AX-170, the first cartridge slot is slot 2-0 (actually just slot 2, the slot is not expanded), so that's the 20. But the 2nd cartridge slot is slot 3-3. So this is already a subslot. The C2 doesn't want to be in a subslot, but in a primary slot.

See https://www.msx.org/wiki/Sakhr_AX-170

By wbahnassi

Expert (118)

wbahnassi's picture

26-05-2020, 14:24

Ok. So I can see the weird slot number assignment for this machine in the wiki. Slot 2 is cartridge 1 and slot 3-3 is cartridge 2. Also the wiki is mistaking saying the machine has just one cartridge slot. There are 2. Obvious from the pictures.
So, it seems C2 doesn't like being put in 3-3 or even recognizing that slot number as a valid location for dual slot assignment. Can this be helped?

By mars2000you

Enlighted (5699)

mars2000you's picture

26-05-2020, 14:39

Fixed for the number of cartridge slots.

By Manuel

Ascended (16981)

Manuel's picture

26-05-2020, 23:53

wbahnassi wrote:

So, it seems C2 doesn't like being put in 3-3 or even recognizing that slot number as a valid location for dual slot assignment. Can this be helped?

The C2 has so much functionality, that it implements subslots internally. But in the MSX architecture, a subslot can't contain subslots. So the C2 only works in a primary slot and in this specific machine that means cartridge slot 1. Note that It is pretty rare for an MSX machine to have an external cartridge slot in a subslot.