50/60Hz switch for MSX-DOS that checks VDP version?

Page 7/7
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |

By sdsnatcher73

Prophet (2340)

sdsnatcher73's picture

10-07-2021, 10:47

NYYRIKKI wrote:
sdsnatcher73 wrote:

This also explains why it worked on NYYRIKKI’s CX-5MII and not my CX-11

No, it does not work that way... I did not test on any computer real or emulated. I know how the system works and that is why I can give this kind of advices. This might sound exteremy bold, but I know ie. Grauw can share my thoughts. Once you know the system well enough, you don't anymore need to test these kind of things. It is just elecronics and assembly working together as is.

I fully appreciate your (and Grauw's and gdx's) knowledge of the system. Still implementations of the standard in the wild can always leave something to be desired. In this case an MSX1 (which is what these machines are) is never supposed to have a backup of register 9 of the VDP, it's that simple. So in code you cannot assume it's value is of any meaning. Even writing it in these programs on exit is completely unnecessary. No program that is running on an MSX1 should use RG9SAV from the memory location.

And I fully agree with Grauw, these machines are something special and should remain that way. There are more than enough MSX2 computers out there.

By gdx

Enlighted (4818)

gdx's picture

10-07-2021, 11:12

Grauw wrote:

And I fully agree with Grauw, these machines are something special and should remain that way. There are more than enough MSX2 computers out there.

Keep in mind that my remarks relate to the topic. Otherwise, obviously it depends on the people. I did not come to have you convert this machine. In absolute terms, I still think this machine is can be a cool MSX2 that I would like to own. It’s not very interessing as is to me because the VDP is the main component in the MSXs.

By sdsnatcher73

Prophet (2340)

sdsnatcher73's picture

10-07-2021, 12:49

No I understand...

Page 7/7
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |