MSX Windows 2000

Page 5/6
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | | 6

By Abi

Hero (600)

Abi's picture

20-03-2004, 11:46

Say,

Is that MSX Windows 2000 disk form Bas Kornalijnslijper's ad thesame MSX Windows 2000 as mentioned earlier in this thread ? Coz MSX Windows 2000 is developed from MSX Windows98.. Which was made by me Tongue a long long time ago.. in a galaxy far far away...

Yes i am almost sure it's the same version you made then Wink

Is MSX Windows 2000 / 98 even still in use ???? That would be a laugh Smile

well, i do not use windows 98 or 2000 because there are not many programs/games you can run from there.
I use MSXdos2.40 on my HD/ATA CF to run game,demos and programs

About all the bugs and stuff :

When I made MSX Windows 98 I combined basic and assembly. The original version was pretty much bug free, kinda slow (7 mhz recommended) and far from complete. But I wasn't interested in the project anymore so I stopped programming.

Then I got an email from the guy who made MSX Windows 2000. He wanted to continue my efforts and later on released MSX Windows 2000. He did some rebuild with it in combination with Nestor Basic or something.. Some turbo basic like something.. I did take a look at the programming but I couldn't make heads or tails of it. So it was out of my hands ..

A few years ago I was doing some work on my car when suddenly Rieks Warendorp Torringa showed up at my home with a bunch of japanese people .. He told them I had been active in the MSX scene as well and was the author of MSX Windows98. Well eyes started popping then.. I don't know why.. I even gave them all original disks of the program with full color label and stuff and they were very happy with it. Apparently my efforts were known in Japan even.. Not that MSX Windows98 was anything fancy or something.. just a little project..

It's pretty neat to still see people asking for it after all this time. So if you have any questions on MSX Windows98, fire away !

Greeetz Apex

--- Let's have a look see

maybe it's ime to make an MSX WindowsXP version Wink and make it able to run games demo's and programs form there (like the PC Windows way).
That should be awesome
greets -=Abi=-

By Sama

Ambassador (2061)

Sama's picture

20-03-2004, 14:00

A few years ago I was doing some work on my car when suddenly Rieks Warendorp Torringa showed up at my home with a bunch of japanese people .. He told them I had been active in the MSX scene as well and was the author of MSX Windows98. Well eyes started popping then.. I don't know why.. I even gave them all original disks of the program with full color label and stuff and they were very happy with it. Apparently my efforts were known in Japan even.. Not that MSX Windows98 was anything fancy or something.. just a little project..

Among these Japanese, by the way, was mr. Yokoi of MSX Association. I have a meeting with him this week, let's ask about his opinion on the disks you gave him. I never heard anything about it.

Anyway, nice to see you popping up here Wink

By Apex

Supporter (6)

Apex's picture

21-03-2004, 17:19

Alrighty Rieks.. Let me know !

So y'all want MSX Windows XP ? hehe.. who's gonna help me ? Tongue
Also, for that I have to remember all the ML stuff.. which is almost gone from memory I'm afraid Tongue .. hmm lets see.. ORG $C0000 .. LDA,0... euh.. wait.. I'm gettin ther e! .. LD HL,$somevalue.. Hmm this is not going very wel hehe..

Anyways,

MSX Windows 98 actually runs primarily on basic.. I did make it very easy to make programs for it which you could minimize and stuff.. The program itself would stay running like a tsr..

So I'd say give it a try Tongue

Greeetz Vincent

By Sonic_aka_T

Enlighted (4130)

Sonic_aka_T's picture

21-03-2004, 23:19

I've thought about making a Windows like evironment ever since I saw the specs on DOS2 (which make it much more plausible). I never could figure out which screen to use though... I guess my favourite would be screen 7, but then again, screen 8 would be cool since the color-limit isn't so ridiculously low... Sigh... Well, not like anyone would use it anyways...

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (116)

anonymous's picture

22-03-2004, 23:40

Sigh... Well, not like anyone would use it anyways...
I think a graphical windows environment for MSX would definitely be used *IF* it had a killer app. A possible killer app would be a webbrowser.

By Sonic_aka_T

Enlighted (4130)

Sonic_aka_T's picture

23-03-2004, 00:47

Heh... I had the exact same thought! That's mostly what motivated the Screen question. I was thinking about maybe using InterNestor but was then puzzled about wether to use the hi-res capabilities of screen 7 or the almost-enough-colors mode of screen 8. The downside of screen 7 is that there wouldn't be any color. The downside of screen 8 is that colors still would be quite crappy, and the fonts even worse.

But, first things first... Have got to finish this little project I was working on. I'm picking up that old habit again of starting 4335 impossible MSX projects and finishing none. Next thing you know I'll be trying to make Doom in BASIC Wink

By snout

Ascended (15184)

snout's picture

23-03-2004, 01:02

-cough-GFX9000-cough-

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (116)

anonymous's picture

23-03-2004, 01:04

That, and, 16 colors isn't that bad... MRC would look great in it!

By Sonic_aka_T

Enlighted (4130)

Sonic_aka_T's picture

23-03-2004, 12:40

-cough-GFX9000-cough-

-cough-youcansendittomyhomeaddress-cough-

By Sonic_aka_T

Enlighted (4130)

Sonic_aka_T's picture

23-03-2004, 12:54

That, and, 16 colors isn't that bad... MRC would look great in it!

Actually, though I haven't done it, my guess is that if you were to do a screen capture on the site window you'd prolly have well over 256 colors on this site. Even without counting the colors in the header-graphics I think it's over 16 for this -relatively 'simple'- site.

Nah, what I am thinking about is perhaps introducing a new HCML (Home Computer Markup Language?) which can be embedded in the normal HTML or perhaps detected by the server through the browser ID. This way you could provide additional more optimal HTML code for MSX computers. This way it is perhaps also possible to host images either in RAW format or maybe in POPCOM format so our poor MSXes won't have to decode .GIF and .JPG graphics nor will the have to rely on a PC proxy to do this for them...

But, like I said... First things first, still have to complete my lame-ass-project...

Page 5/6
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | | 6