How to correctly update Open MSX from 15.0 to 16.0

Page 1/2

By legolas119

Resident (46)

legolas119's picture

03-03-2021, 21:46

HI
I currently have Open MSX 15.0. How can I update to 16.0 without overwrite/loose my emulator settings? Can i only overwrite the openmsx.exe file?
I have downloaded the .zip file, not the installer.
Thank you

Login or register to post comments

By Manuel

Ascended (17701)

Manuel's picture

03-03-2021, 22:04

How did you install 0.15.0?

Replacing the exe is not enough and will not work.

I recommend using the installer in any case. Upgrading won't delete any of your user files, including settings.

By ren

Paragon (1729)

ren's picture

04-03-2021, 09:57

Assuming you're using .zip's
I think it should work by just unzipping into your prev. v15 application directory.

Setting are stored in 'My Documents' (C:\Users\<user name>\Documents\openMSX\ probably).

You could e.g. do the following (taking things a bit on the safe side):

* rename existing v15 openMSX application dir;
* extract v16 zip in location of prev v15;
* make a copy of openMSX\share\settings.xml in your 'My Documents' folder;
* start v16.

If you wonder what's new / what's changed (file wise), you could e.g. recursively compare directories with a tool like WinMerge.
(And of course, to be absolutely safe / checking things out first, your could rename the whole openMSX dir in My Documents as well.)

---
And for the sake of completeness, you can run openMSX in a portable \ 'isolated' way by using a .bat file, e.g.:

openMSX.bat

@echo off
setlocal
set SDL_VIDEODRIVER=
set USERPROFILE=%~dp0\openMSX\_user
.\openMSX\openmsx.exe

Catapult.bat

@echo off
setlocal
set SDL_VIDEODRIVER=
set USERPROFILE=%~dp0\openMSX\_user
.\openMSX\Catapult\bin\Catapult.exe

Works fine in Win7 at least. Note that Catapult will still use the registry as before (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\openMSX team\Catapult). (You could make an export of that as well as part of your v15 backup? Smile)

By legolas119

Resident (46)

legolas119's picture

04-03-2021, 22:37

hi, I have the .zip file for v.15.0. And I have downloaded the .zip for v.16
So, I could unzip every file of the v.16 package in the same v.15 directory, overwriting everyting?

thank you!

By Manuel

Ascended (17701)

Manuel's picture

04-03-2021, 23:13

He recommended to rename your old installation folder so you can use it as a backup. Then just unzip the 16.0 file and copy back your settings.xml file. However, I think that system wide settings.xml file is usually empty, so it's not really helpful.

You could try that, right? Nothing will get lost or broken and things can be reversed. Just tell us how that goes.

What kind of settings are you afraid will be lost? Perhaps you mean something else than what we think.

By ren

Paragon (1729)

ren's picture

05-03-2021, 14:53

Manuel wrote:

However, I think that system wide settings.xml file is usually empty, so it's not really helpful.

Right, I was talking about settings.xml from the user directory (My Documents) however.

@legolas119: yes, that should be alright. There's not much that can go wrong. The big change in v16 is the switch from SDL to SDL2. That brings some new configuration parameters (e.g. the vsync settings comes to mind). Config that you have already for v15 should all be preserved (as, unless you did something manually inside the application dir yourself, those settings all reside in the My Documents folder).

Since things are somewhat different now with SDL2, you might want to keep v15 around however. I think it should be safe to use both alternating. So you can keep v15, extract v16 in another dir, and just go. Both will then use the same settings / user data. But you should be careful with this, as e.g. there could have been a bug fix or change how openMSX handles (writes/reads) some (user / 'persistent') data.. So forget that, I recommend against it Smile (See the 'portable' solution above if you want to run another version simultaneously/alternating.)

You can have a look at the release notes for some more details: https://msx.org/news/en/openmsx-160-released that never hurts.

btw, personally I run in portable mode, using the latest development build & the latest stable release. I then use filepool to point to a dir where I keep my system roms (so both versions use the same roms).

By legolas119

Resident (46)

legolas119's picture

05-03-2021, 22:14

done. yes it seems that everything is ok. But i noticed that some games (in .zip format) don't work: as soon as I start the emulator, it immediately crashes.
If I try them with 15.0, they work correctly. Here some games with the problem: King's Valley II, Laydock, Laydock 2, Psycho Worl, ...(i dind't tried every game).

But I don't know the reason...so it should be better to keep v.15 because i tried all my games and they work with this version...

By Manuel

Ascended (17701)

Manuel's picture

05-03-2021, 23:00

Can you contact me so we can investigate?

Also, can you try the latest development build from http://openmsx.dev/ ? Then you can check whether it still happens on the latest code.

Crashes are bad and we're very eager to fix them.

By legolas119

Resident (46)

legolas119's picture

07-03-2021, 14:38

ok, have downloaded the latest developer version. King's Valley II works, but Laydock, Laydock 2, Psycho World, Akin, Aleste Gaiden, SD Snatcher, Shiryou Sensen 2: War of the Dead Part 2, Mashou Denki, The Great Giana Sisters, Astro Monsters and i don't know if any other game from my MSX2 collection don't work... as soon as i run the game (with the front end Launchbox), the game doesn't start. All these games perfectly work with 15.0 version.

It seems that MSX games works correctly with 16.0 stable version (I still have to try all of them,i tried 5/6 games and they work, i will try every game of my MSX collection with 16.0 in order to be sure that every game still work correctly, i have only 24 MSX games so i can easily try them quite quickly).

thank you

By Manuel

Ascended (17701)

Manuel's picture

07-03-2021, 21:23

Which MSX model are you emulating?
(The games work fine when I try them...)

What is Launchbox? Did you try it without the front end?

In your previous post, what did you mean exactly with 'the emulator immediately crashes'?

By legolas119

Resident (46)

legolas119's picture

14-03-2021, 14:12

hi,
1) as default i'm using Panasonic FS-A1GT
2) Launchbox is a front end: trhouth this fron end, i can run every emulator: https://www.launchbox-app.com/
3) I tried the last developer release without Launchbox and it seems that the games works fine, as v.15.0

Now I tried again the games with launchbox, and it seems thar it doesn't crash at all! I do't know why...but it seems that now they work correctly! The emulator doesn't crash...And I'm usign the latest developer build

Do you think that in any case it should be better to keep the stable 16.0 version? It seems that now both the 16.0 version and the latest developer build works fine...

thank you

Page 1/2