V9990 is not part of MSX

Page 10/14
3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14

By KdL

Paragon (1434)

KdL's picture

09-02-2022, 16:08

It's great that the V9990 gets everyone talking, so I'd like to have my say.

My Sunrise GFX9000 cartridge stayed in the drawer for about 20 years after purchase because there were no games to use with it. This means that even though it has appeared on the MSX scene since 1994, this video chip proved to be a waste of money all that time.
Although MSX3 will not have an integrated V9990 I want to be positive because I hope the power of this machine is comparable to that of a modern computer. So I hope MSX3 can emulate anything we want including V9990 and OPL4 (the whole openMSX could be emulated within the new MSX OS).

So why bother with this decision, Mr. Nishi is making his choices to keep us entertained again.
Let this be what it is! Running Naked in a Field of Flowers

By ducasp

Hero (550)

ducasp's picture

09-02-2022, 16:19

KdL wrote:

It's great that the V9990 gets everyone talking, so I'd like to have my say.

My Sunrise GFX9000 cartridge stayed in the drawer for about 20 years after purchase because there were no games to use with it. This means that even though it has appeared on the MSX scene since 1994, this video chip proved to be a waste of money all that time.
Although MSX3 will not have an integrated V9990 I want to be positive because I hope the power of this machine is comparable to that of a modern computer. So I hope MSX3 can emulate anything we want including V9990 and OPL4 (the whole openMSX could be emulated within the new MSX OS).

So why bother with this decision, Mr. Nishi is making his choices to keep us entertained again.
Let this be what it is! Running Naked in a Field of Flowers

Couldn't agree more, we need to praise the work those people does, even if we don't like it (I don't mean we can't ask for features or tell that we would like if X or Y was part of the project, I just mean that I've seen so many people really telling product X or Y is trash because it is based on certain architecture, or because lacks certain thing) we certainly do not need to start bashing and ranting the project/product.

By Prodatron

Paragon (1810)

Prodatron's picture

09-02-2022, 18:57

I think it's quite cool, that people from other Z80 systems are now interested in the V9990 as well.
There was a batch from Tecnobytes in 2017 and now a new one for an Amstrad CPC version, so we will have about 60 (new) CPC people owning this card very soon. The MSX version works with an adapter at the CPC, but also at the Enterprise 64/128. Very soon it will probably work on the Amstrad PCW, too.
EdoZ and Trebmint are in the progress of developing platform-independant "full screen" games running in SymbOS (using pattern mode). One has been released last year (Flappy Bird) and one is currently under development (Micro Machines).
I still see a nice future for the V9990 Tongue

By Manuel

Ascended (18794)

Manuel's picture

09-02-2022, 22:31

Can the V9990 chips still be purchased somewhere? I remember the TMT_Logic folks had issues sourcing these chips, but apparently Tecnobytes was still able to get them.

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9956)

wolf_'s picture

09-02-2022, 22:32

There could've been interest in the G9k in the revival years... but then people decided to go for MSX1 instead. Kind of reversing things. Tongue

That, and I'm not even sure the posibilities sit comfortably in our minds, including having or not having tools for it.

By edoz

Prophet (2441)

edoz's picture

09-02-2022, 23:27

Manuel wrote:

Can the V9990 chips still be purchased somewhere? I remember the TMT_Logic folks had issues sourcing these chips, but apparently Tecnobytes was still able to get them.

Hans told me he could buy them but prices were very high and because of that he didn’t want the risk for making new boards. It seems Technobytes still have the chip..

By edoz

Prophet (2441)

edoz's picture

09-02-2022, 23:30

wolf_ wrote:

That, and I'm not even sure the posibilities sit comfortably in our minds, including having or not having tools for it.

To be honest openmsx is a good tool for developing for g9k. Without it it was a lot more work for sure!

By Popolon_fr

Resident (64)

Popolon_fr's picture

10-02-2022, 02:58

Quote:

Can the V9990 chips still be purchased somewhere?

here
But shhh, I didn't tell you anything ! :P

By gdx

Enlighted (5512)

gdx's picture

10-02-2022, 03:09

Quote:

My Sunrise GFX9000 cartridge stayed in the drawer for about 20 years after purchase because there were no games to use with it.

Me too but it's a good product though and that's why I keep it like KdL.

ducasp wrote:

I've seen so many people really telling product X or Y is trash because it is based on certain architecture

Luckily these people are there. There are too many poorly designed products. And these people allow us to make a choice better suited to what we are looking for.

By iamweasel2

Paladin (705)

iamweasel2's picture

10-02-2022, 05:02

Popolon_fr wrote:
Quote:

Can the V9990 chips still be purchased somewhere?

here
But shhh, I didn't tell you anything ! :P

Wow, 33949 pieces left in stock? And I was worried that our manufacturers could run out of V9990 to build new boards... :)

Good thing that there are people recycling old VGA boards to recover V9990, it might no be easy to find new old stock of those V9990 chips...

Page 10/14
3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14