Sakhr AX370 Corrupt Graphics, advice needed.

By skip_rat

Supporter (1)

skip_rat's picture

23-11-2022, 17:24

Hello, I am new to MSX (and this forum) as I have just purchased an AX370 from a well known auction site. Typically it is not as described and although it will power on the graphics are always corrupted.
I know I could try to return it but seeing as the seller is in another country I would prefer to try and fix the fault if I can.

So far I have booted it up in standard and international mode and with a MSX game cartridge. There is always corruption to some degree and even on the bootup screen the pixels that make up the characters are constantly changing.

Also there is no video output on the composite connector, only via RF. I don't have a RGB cable to test that yet.

Where would be a good place to start testing? I was thinking it could be the RAM but am not familiar with these computers

Login or register to post comments

By Wierzbowsky

Guardian (3526)

Wierzbowsky's picture

24-11-2022, 00:46

A photo of the corruption would be nice. Usually, it's VRAM, but could be VDP as well (though unlikely). No composite video output is bad, but maybe the socket is just loose?

Boot to MSX-DOS and run TESTRAM.COM. Or, if you have a flash cartridge, start TESTRAM.ROM from it. Check VRAM and RAM to see if there are any issues.

By alali.ahmed.t

Expert (103)

alali.ahmed.t's picture

25-11-2022, 04:30

Wierzbowsky wrote:

A photo of the corruption would be nice. Usually, it's VRAM, but could be VDP as well (though unlikely). No composite video output is bad, but maybe the socket is just loose?

Boot to MSX-DOS and run TESTRAM.COM. Or, if you have a flash cartridge, start TESTRAM.ROM from it. Check VRAM and RAM to see if there are any issues.

I agree with Alexey. If you could use Scart cable after making sure you have the whole board cleaned would probably shed the light on the next thing to focus on. It might also be a bad capacitor!