MSXVR owners club

Page 7/9
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | | 8 | 9

By RobertVroemisse

Paragon (1295)

RobertVroemisse's picture

05-04-2021, 22:41

I don't know. I don't own a MSXVR (yet) so I can't test anything right now. I know about this issue because one of the owners of Deva got his cartridge corrupted and contacted me about it.

By erpirao

Paragon (1169)

erpirao's picture

05-04-2021, 23:49

Good evening, you have done the tests with my own Deva cartridge in the Vr, indeed, the recording of the game can give corruption.
but there are two easy ways to retrieve the cartridge.
1- continuing a game and recording at the end of the level (I have 2 games and I use the second one as the VR level).
2. VR allows savestates to be recorded, I have one just after eliminating the final enemy from the first level (VR).
in both cases when recording and restarting the start / continue menu, it is restored.
the game at no time ceases to be accessible (as I repeat in my unit in which I have done the tests), and even with the corrupt title screen, I could agree to try to delete a game and start one of them.

I'm sorry about the translation made in google, but I hope a friend will do a better translation for me and I'll explain the procedures.
In any case, I repeat according to my experience:
1.- the game is not destroyed or deleted.
2.- the games are preserved

By Daemos

Paragon (1940)

Daemos's picture

06-04-2021, 09:04

From what I understand it is not the cartridge itself that corrupts but rather some user data in the emulation itself. Allready tried inserting the "corrupted cartridge" into a real machine and see if the game data fails?

By efraimsangil

Rookie (17)

efraimsangil's picture

14-04-2021, 08:36

valkyre wrote:

Yes, mine is fully paid for, don't thing i will see it for a few months yet though. As far as I'm aware there are also another 4 VR's in the UK.

I have one of them and Filipe Gracioli has another. Both in Milton Keynes Wink

By RobertVroemisse

Paragon (1295)

RobertVroemisse's picture

14-04-2021, 12:11

Daemos wrote:

From what I understand it is not the cartridge itself that corrupts but rather some user data in the emulation itself. Allready tried inserting the "corrupted cartridge" into a real machine and see if the game data fails?

Sorry for the late response but yes, the game data fails on a "real" MSX. The game won't start anymore.

By Daemos

Paragon (1940)

Daemos's picture

14-04-2021, 12:45

Very strange. The flash code is simple. It writes 5 consecutive times to special writable parts of the flashrom. The right mapper should be selected which also goes via this code. Then the flashchip goes to write mode and any adres can be written during this code cycle. If the timing would be incorrect:writing should fail completely. The only part that could go wrong is the bankselection however the game runs just fine. Unless... For some reason the msxvr decides that selecting any bank above the 512k region is not allowed and selects some other bank instead.

I am almost a 100% certain this is not related to the deva code. I have checked every piece of the flashcode and its rocksolid. How is flashing to a megaflashrom doing? Can any user try to flash a big rom in the mfr or carnivore2. It should fail in a similar way as well. The flash utilities for these flashcarts use similar if not identical code.

Perhaps the leftover of the broken deva cart can be dumped as a rom so that we can find out which parts have actually been written to.

The rest is really to the msxvr team. This is a hardware related problem.

By djh1697

Paragon (1548)

djh1697's picture

14-04-2021, 22:26

efraimsangil wrote:
valkyre wrote:

Yes, mine is fully paid for, don't thing i will see it for a few months yet though. As far as I'm aware there are also another 4 VR's in the UK.

I have one of them and Filipe Gracioli has another. Both in Milton Keynes Wink

Shall we start a UK MSX-VR owners group?

By efraimsangil

Rookie (17)

efraimsangil's picture

15-04-2021, 08:44

djh1697 wrote:
efraimsangil wrote:
valkyre wrote:

Yes, mine is fully paid for, don't thing i will see it for a few months yet though. As far as I'm aware there are also another 4 VR's in the UK.

I have one of them and Filipe Gracioli has another. Both in Milton Keynes Wink

Shall we start a UK MSX-VR owners group?

That's fine for me, but there are only 5 MSXVR users in the UK. Do you think it's worth it?

By black hawk

Expert (102)

black hawk's picture

22-04-2021, 22:25

I can join the club today. I am very happy to hold this beautiful machine in my hands. For the next time my wife is loosing her husband Cool

By raymond

Champion (505)

raymond's picture

23-04-2021, 05:54

black hawk wrote:

I can join the club today. I am very happy to hold this beautiful machine in my hands. For the next time my wife is loosing her husband Cool

Congratulations, please let us know your experiences!

Page 7/9
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | | 8 | 9