MSX slot connector: specification and where to buy?

By sd_snatcher

Prophet (3454)

sd_snatcher's picture

26-07-2010, 05:56

1) What's the specification of the MSX slot connector (both straight and "right angle" models)?

2) Where can I buy those connectors?

I have a friend with a Hotbit with damaged slot connectors. Both the upper and side slots are in a quite bad condition and need to be replaced. As I compared, both the Hotbit's slots are identical to the MSX Turbo-R slots: both include the flanges, one slot is straight and the other is "right angle".

Login or register to post comments

By RetroTechie

Paragon (1563)

RetroTechie's picture

26-07-2010, 06:26

What you're looking for is called a "card edge" connector, 2 x 25 contacts, in 2.54 mm (0.1 inch) pitch (=regular). And you want it with contacts meant for soldering to a circuit board (through hole). Although the 2 x 25 pin version is hard to find, I've still seen them in several online shops recently (like here). But mostly they're not for soldering, but for connecting to a flatcable (floppy/HDD style), so watch out for that!

I'd try some Google searches with varying search terms, and check lots of results to find a shop (that delivers) in your area.

Good look with finding an angled version of that oO - consider ripping one from another, broken down machine. Also it's possible to use a longer one, saw off a piece, and block/solder together the contacts right next to the last ones to be used. Ugly, only recommended as last resort.

Btw. are you sure it's the connectors themselves that are damaged, and not the connector <-> circuit board solder points?

By sd_snatcher

Prophet (3454)

sd_snatcher's picture

29-07-2010, 01:11


Thanks for the tips!

I'm sure the slots are damaged. Many pins are bent or missing. Pretty sad.


Supporter (15)'s picture

08-03-2015, 18:57

By sd_snatcher

Prophet (3454)

sd_snatcher's picture

08-03-2015, 23:52

Thanks for the reply!

I also bought those, and the same guy also sells the right angle model. But both of them are flangeless. This means that they can't be used to replace the side (or hear) slot of many machines. It will probably do well for the upper slot though.

By Edevaldo

Master (141)

Edevaldo's picture

27-09-2017, 03:22

I used those in my Expert motherboard: Hirose CR22-50D-2.54DSA(70)

The only thing is the pin rows are spaced with 0.1" instead of 0.2". But the Expert motherboard had holes for both distances.

The most critical distance in my case was from the back part of the mounting tabs to the center of the 2nd row of pins. And for that distance those are pretty close.

I could not find the manufacturer of the original ones used by Gradiente. They seem to be the same as the ones used by Carchano in his Expert 3 motherboard. They are marked as S5254ID9F.

Sullins seems to have a large number of connector that could fit:|col05:11837|col06:11806|col07:12607|col08:15234|col09:11805|col10:11841|col11:12612|col16:11846|col17:11839|col17:14664|col18:11813&toggle=in

The ones with -S189 ending have 0.2" distance between rows. The part numbers that seem to fi ok are of the form:
and the H could be S as well.