FDD+IDE controller and Universal Flash ROM cartridge projects + future Multi-soundcard cartridge

Page 7/16
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12

By erpirao

Paragon (1069)

erpirao's picture

19-02-2017, 14:34

Hello Alexey
Have you thought of a sd / cf driver but with an arduino to manage sd / cf readings?

By Alexey

Guardian (2854)

Alexey's picture

19-02-2017, 17:24

erpirao wrote:

Hello Alexey
Have you thought of a sd / cf driver but with an arduino to manage sd / cf readings?

No, we wanted to have IDE interface and Nextor BIOS only. The CF card fits perfectly for the IDE interface, besides it should be technically possible to connect other IDE devices to the cartridge. If you want to use SD cards, there's always a possibility to use CF-to-SD converter - it's verified to be working correctly.

By giangiacomo.zaffini

Champion (267)

giangiacomo.zaffini's picture

19-02-2017, 18:41

I see from pictures that Carnivore2 has a jack output, is it plain pin 49 SOUNDIN mono signal routed to 3.5 mm jack? Can it be that a hardware/software mixer solution take control of mixing SCC output with FMPAC's MO and RO outputs towards 3.5 mm jack and/or towards pin 49 SOUNDIN?
Does the MegaFlashROM part of Carnivore2 behave as with a Konami's SCC mapper?

By Alexey

Guardian (2854)

Alexey's picture

19-02-2017, 20:31

giangiacomo.zaffini wrote:

I see from pictures that Carnivore2 has a jack output, is it plain pin 49 SOUNDIN mono signal routed to 3.5 mm jack? Can it be that a hardware/software mixer solution take control of mixing SCC output with FMPAC's MO and RO outputs towards 3.5 mm jack and/or towards pin 49 SOUNDIN?
Does the MegaFlashROM part of Carnivore2 behave as with a Konami's SCC mapper?

The 3.5mm jack only outputs stereo FMPAC and SCC, there's no PSG there. The 2 channels are mixed into one and are fed to the internal MSX amplifier via SOUNDIN. So you have to use the normal MSX audio output to have all sounds mixed in. Besides this jack is designed as line-out, the headphones will not have enough volume if connected.

The multimapper part of the cartridge supports Konami4, Konami5 (SCC), ASCII 8 and ASCII 16 mappers. Some Korean mappers may be added later. The cartridge can be also used as pure RAM, pure SCC, pure IDE, pure FMPAC or a combination of those devices.

By erpirao

Paragon (1069)

erpirao's picture

20-02-2017, 21:03

Alexey wrote:
erpirao wrote:

Hello Alexey
Have you thought of a sd / cf driver but with an arduino to manage sd / cf readings?

No, we wanted to have IDE interface and Nextor BIOS only. The CF card fits perfectly for the IDE interface, besides it should be technically possible to connect other IDE devices to the cartridge. If you want to use SD cards, there's always a possibility to use CF-to-SD converter - it's verified to be working correctly.

I have not explained well.
I mean a controller (ide or CF), but the load of reading and writing was through an arduino (there are some with 64KB and 16Mhz).

By Alexey

Guardian (2854)

Alexey's picture

20-02-2017, 22:01

erpirao wrote:

I have not explained well.
I mean a controller (ide or CF), but the load of reading and writing was through an arduino (there are some with 64KB and 16Mhz).

We don't have experience with such platforms. And there are no plans to study them.

By Alexey

Guardian (2854)

Alexey's picture

20-02-2017, 23:16

Two last boards left. Not sure when more will be available.

By Alexey

Guardian (2854)

Alexey's picture

22-02-2017, 13:38

We will soon update the CANFM utility for the Carnivore (first version) cartridge with better mapper detection and mode 40 compatibility.

By Alexey

Guardian (2854)

Alexey's picture

24-02-2017, 03:15

Our repository has been updated:

Carnivore cartridge: https://github.com/RBSC/Carnivore
- bugfixed boot block
- completely new utilities for cartridge management
- register description (sorry, in Russian only)
- readme files, disclaimer and the main readme with installation and usage instructions
- partslist has been updated

Carnivore2 cartridge: https://github.com/RBSC/Carnivore2
- Gerbers for board version 2.2
- updated utilities for cartridge management
- updated the readme with important note about Nextor's partitioning

By Alexey

Guardian (2854)

Alexey's picture

24-02-2017, 20:30

And one more update - new boot block for Carnivore cartridge + some readme updates.
https://github.com/RBSC/Carnivore

The Carnivore2's boot block has been adapted to be used for Carnivore cartridge. So get the latest sources.
https://github.com/RBSC/Carnivore2

Page 7/16
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12