User Guides for AX-350

By homamo

Supporter (13)

homamo's picture

17-12-2019, 01:52

Hello all,

I'm struggling in finding the user guide (PDF) for the AX-350 or equivelent Yamaha models. if anyone have it scanned and can share it will be much appreciated Smile

Thanks!

Login or register to post comments

By Wild_Penguin

Hero (641)

Wild_Penguin's picture

18-12-2019, 15:37

Hi homam, and Welcome!

Probably they haven't been scanned as no-one has replied here, and also they are not linked in the Wiki. I'm certain they would be appreciated! Although, I'd presume the user manual would be only in Arabic and depending on your language skills, that might or might not be useful for you :-)

However, having the same computer I've looked for a service manual before. Did you already find these: The closest I could find is Yamaha XC5MII service manual (also user's manual seems to be available there) and the AX500 service manual. Depending on what specific information you need, these might be better than guesswork. Specifically, XC5MII Service manual can be used as a guide to open the computer and service the keyboard. AX500 has a similar motherboard, so it can be used as a rough guide on what should be on the motherboard.

By homamo

Supporter (13)

homamo's picture

18-12-2019, 16:03

Thanks Wild_Penguin Smile Those are definitely useful resources as there are similarities between the AX350 and XC5MII.
I’m looking for the user’s guide as I’m trying to find available booting shortcuts for this model. For example, how to bypass booting from the floppy and boot to the menu,... etc.

Thanks again!

By Wild_Penguin

Hero (641)

Wild_Penguin's picture

18-12-2019, 16:17

I think many keys are general / same for all MSX-DOS (or more correctly, Disk BIOS), see here. I think (left?) shift bypasses loading disk-basic (and subsequently any DOS) altogether. CTRL bypasses drive B. (these seem very similar to MS-DOS!)

On these computers the Arabic characters will be bypassed if CTRL is held down. The arabic characters replace some characters used to draw (rudimentary) graphics, such as lines and boxes on international MSXes. This is also mentioned in the Wiki here.

I'm not aware of any other boot key / shortcuts!

By homamo

Supporter (13)

homamo's picture

18-12-2019, 19:42

I’m trying some games from disks however after loading a game it stays in memory even after resetting the msx (of course the disk is removed from the drive) Shocked!
I was expecting a shortcut that forces booting to the main menu instead of booting from the game. Currently I have to turn off the msx for a while before the game is wiped from memory.

Honestly, I wasn’t expecting that the AX350 has persistent memory that keeps its content after it is turned off.

By tfh

Prophet (2944)

tfh's picture

18-12-2019, 20:14

homamo wrote:

I’m trying some games from disks however after loading a game it stays in memory even after resetting the msx (of course the disk is removed from the drive) Shocked!
I was expecting a shortcut that forces booting to the main menu instead of booting from the game. Currently I have to turn off the msx for a while before the game is wiped from memory.

Honestly, I wasn’t expecting that the AX350 has persistent memory that keeps its content after it is turned off.

Some MSX's have capacitors that supply power to the memory for quite some time after shutting down the machine. Not much you can do about it I'm afraid.

By eimaster

Master (249)

eimaster's picture

08-01-2020, 00:50

Hi
I'm an Arabic MSX user since 1985 (was learning BASIC programming using SVI-328 before I got my own AX-170 MSX1 computer). I dreamt of having (AX-350, AX-370 or AX-500) which are MSX2 but unfortunately I couldn't buy any st that time because of their high prices and because my father was looking at computer as a study-distracting game station like ATARI 2600.
If I came across any English user manual of any of those Arabic MSX2 machines, I will be glad to translate it to English as I want to contribute in preserving my beloved MSX computer any way possible.
If any of you scan it, just send me a copy of it here.

By wbahnassi

Master (144)

wbahnassi's picture

18-05-2020, 06:46

Sakhr computer manuals are usually bilingual (Arabic English). I can confirm this at least with AX-170. For AX-350 and above, I can see some people have them but they're putting them for sale and thus not willing to scan them.. real bummer.