MSX Datacorder Model DM-6402

Page 2/2
1 |

By landlord

Resident (35)

landlord's picture

22-05-2016, 22:41

Hello friends

It took a while to find a cassette to test this thing out. Luckily I was able to find one in my hoard pile of retro games Big smile

It looks like a game and it's called "Adventur".

Unfortunately however, the datacorder seems to fast forward and rewind but won't play Sad

What could be the issue? When I press play it just doesn't move. But it rewinds and forwards just fine.

Any help is appreciated.

By Manuel

Ascended (18233)

Manuel's picture

22-05-2016, 22:52

An MSX datarecorder shouldn't move when you press play, if you connected it properly. The MSX has a relais to control the movement of the tape. Your typical cassette cable has 3 leads for the datarecorder end: play, record and remote. The remote jack is that remote control signal to let the tape run when the MSX wants it to run.

That, or it is broken Smile

By landlord

Resident (35)

landlord's picture

23-05-2016, 09:26

So how does this work exactly?

1- Plug
2- Press Play
3- Enter bload"cas:",r

By landlord

Resident (35)

landlord's picture

23-05-2016, 10:16

So I managed to load the cassette. It took a few tries to get to the intro screen of the game. I think the tape is going bad.

But now I am being asked for more commands :/

How do I start the game?

By Manuel

Ascended (18233)

Manuel's picture

23-05-2016, 20:29

1 - plug? Just keep it plugged. So usually you skip this step.
2 - yep
3 - only for games that have a binary loader.

Try:
RUN"CAS:" (for games that have an auto-starting loader in BASIC)
BLOAD"CAS:",R (for games that have a binary loader)
CLOAD (for basic games or games with a clumsy loader). After loading press F5 or type RUN

By landlord

Resident (35)

landlord's picture

24-05-2016, 21:01

Thanks Manuel. Managed to load and start the game. "Adventur" turned out to be Rambo haha.

It took several tries to get the game going. When the computer restarts and the game begins to load I would see the graphics all garbled up. On the 3rd or 4th try it loaded and the game started.

Is this a sign of a bad tape or bad tape recorder?!

By Manuel

Ascended (18233)

Manuel's picture

24-05-2016, 21:26

Could be any or both... My feeling says mostly the tape though.

By Wild_Penguin

Hero (641)

Wild_Penguin's picture

25-05-2016, 21:42

Remember that thing is ... 20 years old! Both the recorder and the tape =)

In my experience cassettes were unreliable even back in the day. It was not uncommon to need to do a re-load (especially with ... *ahem* ... backed-up cassettes, so if yours is not original, I would worry about the retries even less).

There may be a small screw to adjust the azimuth (in some models only accessible with the cassette lid "open"). It may have become slightly off during all these years. But you need a monitor speaker to adjust by ear ... or, there may be some program somewhere to run on the MSX that will give you a meter on the screen to adjust the azimuth correctly, but I'm not sure about the existence of such software.

Page 2/2
1 |