Great new video - "The History of COMPILE Shoot 'Em Ups" - MSX is not forgotten

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5521)

JohnHassink's picture

21-01-2021, 11:14

By majors

Supporter (5)

majors's picture

21-01-2021, 16:41

I hope I do not go down the peke rabbit hole! After watching the Rube Breaker footage, I had to try it for myself to get a taste. Of course it had it's emulation issues, so the only logical thing to do it buy a real X68000 Smile

(I won't, I've seen too may friends get into that money pit of a computer. I'll stick with MSX to save my wallet)

By Meits

Scribe (6210)

Meits's picture

21-01-2021, 17:10

majors wrote:

I'll stick with MSX to save my wallet)

Good luck on that. The prices are going straight up lately. Just check the Trading & Collecting section for examples.
Quite a worrying trend.

By Pentarou

Champion (316)

Pentarou's picture

21-01-2021, 21:27

majors wrote:

After watching the Rube Breaker footage ...
[...]
the only logical thing to do it buy a real X68000 Smile

Why would you buy an X68000? Isn't that a PC98 game? Or is there an X68000 port?

Edit: Ok so it was an error I guess, Seen the YT video and there's no mention of X68K

Video is not that interesting, 40+ minutes of background movies from various systems while the speaker gives 3rd hand old info. Not a complete history by any stretch, only talks/shows the flashier games.
Sort of entertaining but nothing new in this, watch at 2x speed.
Funny how Nitani becomes NitaNU. LOL!

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5521)

JohnHassink's picture

22-01-2021, 00:11

Pentarou wrote:

Video is not that interesting, 40+ minutes of background movies from various systems while the speaker gives 3rd hand old info. Not a complete history by any stretch, only talks/shows the flashier games.
Sort of entertaining but nothing new in this, watch at 2x speed.
Funny how Nitani becomes NitaNU. LOL!

So maybe you had already seen the interview footage with mister Niitani, but that was all new to me, and I think to a lot of people as well. I found that very interesting, actually.
Also, I like his analysis of the gameplay, and the fact that he doesn't forget about the MSX is commendable. I really like the editing as well. Did not really feel the need to speed up the video.
Maybe he should have mentioned things like Final Justice and Guardic to be complete.
But ah well, can't please everybody I guess. Smile

By majors

Supporter (5)

majors's picture

25-01-2021, 06:42

Pentarou wrote:

Why would you buy an X68000? Isn't that a PC98 game? Or is there an X68000 port?

Edit: Ok so it was an error I guess, Seen the YT video and there's no mention of X68K

Yes, I goofed and mixed up the two platforms. Being from US, a lot of the JP computers are Greek to me Smile

The YT guy mentioned Devil's Heaven as an early "Compile shooter" but doesn't E.I. have some pre-Compile history also?

I would agree, it's a 2x speed watch. I appreciate his enthusiasm but it kinda comes across to me as gushing fanboy (which I normally to not tend to follow/subscribe to on YT)

Meits wrote:
majors wrote:

I'll stick with MSX to save my wallet)

Good luck on that. The prices are going straight up lately. Just check the Trading & Collecting section for examples.

Good for sellers? And isn't everything going up? More ppl that put out videos (and other media) talking about MSX, it just adds more new buyers...just look at me! I started getting into MSX in 2018.