Page 4/4
1 | 2 | 3 |

By Takamichi

Champion (269)

Takamichi's picture

10-12-2019, 15:15

I and my friends suggest several precautions with CPC-400;
1. Keyboard repair guide is here.
2. Its default FDD is a rare Panasonic BELTLESS drive that is easily rotten. You cannot simply repair it by replacing the belt. You have to replace it with more common FDD such as Mitsumi.
3. The FDD is noisy because it vibrates against the casing. It's CPC-400's inherent issue, not the FDD's.
4. CPC-400 has unique disk access interface that might fail. For instance, TAPE2CAS, that saves bit by bit, generates corrupt file.
5. If inserting a cassette causes a hangup, cleaning the connections of the belt that connects between the insertion port and the PCB might solve it.
6. My friend makes an excellent modern video board replacement, that comes with SCART output, for CPC-400 for cheap. Ask him. He speaks fluent English.

Major overhaul like replacing the PSU wasn't necessary with my case. It's in better condition than all the toxic leaks suggest.

openMSX has "CPC-400S" option so try it if you want to try screen 9 and its unique slot assignments before getting real one ;)

By bifo

Supporter (5)

bifo's picture

04-01-2020, 19:21

I received my CPC400 today, the capacitors appear to be ok but the batteries (two alkaline AAAs) leaked, so I'll be cleaning up the AV board. Takamichi: are you using a step-up transformer or did you switch the power supply to 100V instead of 220V?

By bifo

Supporter (5)

bifo's picture

11-01-2020, 04:28

I cleaned the leaked acid and the contacts and resoldered the battery wire, booted it up this evening with my old 1084S monitor and it works quite well. A few keys need some hard presses, but other than the battery leakage it seems to have arrived in perfect order. The transformer works well, stepping up to 230v. I'll be replacing the floppy drive with a USB emulator as soon as it arrives and I need to build an RGB cable to connect things, but it looks like a solid machine.

Page 4/4
1 | 2 | 3 |