WebMSX and SVI-738 X'press -- correct Machine setting?

Page 2/2
1 |

By PSi

Supporter (13)

PSi's picture

08-09-2021, 12:36

I failed to understand the philosophy behind the openMSX.

I installed openMSX 1.15.0 it to my Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS using Symantec, so all the "make" etc stuff was fortunately hidden from me (no, I'm not a Linux hacker). I selected my Linux PC for testing as it has a 3.5in floppy drive. I have a few diskettes but openMSX says (in grayed out): "No disk drives available". If this is due to wrong machine I then tried to select "SPECTRAVIDEO SVI-739 X'PRESS" from the hardware list. I got a quickly vanishing red error message about not being able to change machine due to some sort of ROM file missing. I have no such file, nor I think I've ever had. There are very little clues about getting one. If there is one on my MSX-DOS diskettes it appears to remain there.

Looking now at the Setting up document: https://www.openmsx.org/manual/setup.html I then learned that I'm trying impossible things: "C-BIOS can be used to run most MSX1, MSX2 and MSX2+ cartridge-based games. It does not include MSX-BASIC and does not support disk drives yet, so programs depending on that will not run." I understand that continuing with openMSX is useless.

Please correct and advice me If I got something completely wrong.

/pekka

By Manuel

Ascended (18233)

Manuel's picture

08-09-2021, 12:18

A quick reply:
- C-BIOS is a free-software MSX BIOS, with limitations. The default machine emulated is a machine with C-BIOS, because we can package the C-BIOS ROM freely with openMSX. As C-BIOS doesn't support disk drives at all, the C-BIOS based machine doesn't have a disk drive, that's why it says "No disk drives available". This is all about the emulated machine, not your host PC running openMSX.
- as you noticed, to run other MSX machines than C-BIOS, openMSX will need to be provided with the ROM dumps of the ROMs which can be found in these machines. So, for the SVI-738, you need to put the ROMs of that machine in the right location, see https://www.openmsx.org/manual/setup.html#installrom
- unfortunately, this forum doesn't allow to link you to a zip file which contains all ROMs directly, but there is such a thing online

By gdx

Enlighted (4802)

gdx's picture

08-09-2021, 12:20

Use your favorite search engine and enter "Full Set System ROM".

By PSi

Supporter (13)

PSi's picture

08-09-2021, 21:36

The version on TaPRK web site is the last (or almost the last) full basic version. I did study Assembler and did parts of the code in assembler myself (I was too proud to use the assembler code made by one of the boys!)

New development:

I finally found the ROM files, had a bit of a struggle to figure out where to put them (no, it was not into "~/.openMSX/share/Machine"!) I was to hasty. Had to read on. Well, I got it installed and running now.

Unfortunately the "C-MRI111.BAS" (version 1.11 from 1988) does not run on openMSX. the "width80" is not accepted ("Illegal function call in 10").

One of the diskettes I had copied on my PC in 2004 or thereabouts was the final "autorun" diskette of the C/MRI software: Version. 2.8 from 1989. It has (my) assembler parts in addition to MSX-BASIC.

Now then: This "autorun" diskette copy has it all. It is a 40 char version of the C/MRI and it works like a dream on openMSX Smile

About http://openmsx.org/manual/diskmanipulator.html : Can I use it to copy old DD1 MSX-DOS diskettes using my Ubuntu Linux machine with a floppy drive?

Yes, I'm going to put the files out, but it will be later (later this month, I hope)! I need to sort out which files actually are related to the latest "Autorun" version of C/MRI on that diskette.

Stupid question: How the heck I can stop a running software on a openMSX? CTRL+Pause/Break did the trick on webMSX.

/pekka

By Manuel

Ascended (18233)

Manuel's picture

08-09-2021, 22:40

PSi wrote:

I finally found the ROM files, had a bit of a struggle to figure out where to put them (no, it was not into "~/.openMSX/share/Machine"!) I was to hasty. Had to read on. Well, I got it installed and running now.

I thought the link I gave you was pretty clear on where to put them... but yeah, you need to read it correctly Tongue

Quote:

Unfortunately the "C-MRI111.BAS" (version 1.11 from 1988) does not run on openMSX. the "width80" is not accepted ("Illegal function call in 10").

Is WIDTH 80 a legal instruction on a SVI-738 then? I know it has a V9938 and that it should be supported, but I don't know if it's actually supported in MSX-BASIC 1.0. Can someone try this on a real machine?

Quote:

One of the diskettes I had copied on my PC in 2004 or thereabouts was the final "autorun" diskette of the C/MRI software: Version. 2.8 from 1989. It has (my) assembler parts in addition to MSX-BASIC.

Now then: This "autorun" diskette copy has it all. It is a 40 char version of the C/MRI and it works like a dream on openMSX Smile

Good!

Quote:

About http://openmsx.org/manual/diskmanipulator.html : Can I use it to copy old DD1 MSX-DOS diskettes using my Ubuntu Linux machine with a floppy drive?

Perhaps, but that's not the primary usage of it. This command is mostly meant to create and manipulate disk images. But not really from an original floppy. On Linux, that's very easy though... at least it works here on my Debian box.

For 2DD images just type: cat /dev/fd0 > example.dsk, if your disk-drive
has the device-name fd0. That's it!

For single sided disks, you may have to create a special device node first (you
can do that in your home directory, e.g.): mknod ~/fd0u360 b 2 12 and then
transfer the disk like this: cat ~/fd0u360 > example.dsk.

Quote:

Stupid question: How the heck I can stop a running software on a openMSX? CTRL+Pause/Break did the trick on webMSX.

The STOP key is mapped to F8 in openMSX, see http://openmsx.org/manual/user.html#keymapping

By Manuel

Ascended (18233)

Manuel's picture

09-09-2021, 00:01

Manuel wrote:
PSi wrote:

Is WIDTH 80 a legal instruction on a SVI-738 then? I know it has a V9938 and that it should be supported, but I don't know if it's actually supported in MSX-BASIC 1.0. Can someone try this on a real machine?

Just found this thread that answers the question: https://www.msx.org/forum/msx-talk/software/svi-738-80-colum... --> Looks like this is the behaviour that you also get on the real machine :)

By PSi

Supporter (13)

PSi's picture

09-09-2021, 22:49

There is another basic on my disks that does it. It probably just tweaks with something as the video processor is same/similar to MSX2. Therefore the version 1.11 code works on webMSX.org on default settings (is that a MSX2 setting?).

I have now copied the original and edited vesion of the 1.11 on Tapiola club web site (zip file).

The version 2.8 with assembler/hex parts will come later (much later). I haven't yet found the source of the other HEX file (ZEN).

I wonder how I could get the files on from the cat'ted dsk file to Linux/W10 hard drive except loading files one by one and swapping "diskette" to hard drive file folder and saving...

Another stupid question: How I switch the C/PM from 40 col into 80 col? I have WordStar on my CP/M but have forgotten how to swith the 40 col into 80 col.

/pekka

By Manuel

Ascended (18233)

Manuel's picture

09-09-2021, 23:41

PSi wrote:

There is another basic on my disks that does it. It probably just tweaks with something as the video processor is same/similar to MSX2. Therefore the version 1.11 code works on webMSX.org on default settings (is that a MSX2 setting?).

That's very well possible. But if you have some program loaded from the disk that modifies BASIC, it should also run like that on openMSX's emulated SVI-738 of course.

Quote:

I wonder how I could get the files on from the cat'ted dsk file to Linux/W10 hard drive except loading files one by one and swapping "diskette" to hard drive file folder and saving...

Several options:
1. Use an external tool like rddsk on Linux. There are sources somewhere and they are easy to compile. It's a small program. There are probably alternatives for it as well, but I still use the good old rddsk/wrdsk for simple cases.
2. Use openMSX's diskmanipulator, see https://openmsx.org/manual/diskmanipulator.html#export
3. Insert the disk in an emulated MSX with 2 disk drives and insert a directory as drive B. Then COPY from MSX-DOS or BASIC as you would do on a real MSX to copy files from one disk to another.
4. Use Linux to mount the disk image and then copy the files from it with the cp command. You'll have to Google this, as I have no (real) experience with this.

By PSi

Supporter (13)

PSi's picture

10-09-2021, 08:34

Thanks for the clues. Must try!

Looking at my old "SVIIPPI" magazines of the Mikroilijat ry (regd.ass.), the 80 column basic (80-MERK.BAS) by J. Kukkula was on their spring 1987 membership diskette.

The presumably last all-basic (80 char) version (1.11) and the last found BAS+HEX version (2.8) of the software are now at TaPRK site as zipped files.

English C/MRI page at: https://taprk.org/eng/general/cmri.html
Finnish C/MRI page at: https://taprk.org/fin/layout/vm-83/cmri.html

/pekka

Page 2/2
1 |